Gay friendly cities

Kick_Me

Ooh also Gay Relationships are recognized by the state of Hawaii

"Getting married in Hawaii is no different than getting married in Vermont. Weddings are just like "straight" weddings in that there are vows and rings exchanged.

Same gender couples may register with the State as "Reciprocal Beneficiaries."

Rights conveyed include: Inheritance and Survivorship Benefits, Hospital Visitation, Family Leave, Private and Public Employee Health Insurance, Jointly Held Property Rights, and many other benefits.

As in Vermont, these rights may not be recognized outside of the State. However, legal advise and consultation is available here in Hawaii"

Source: http://www.gayhawaiiwedding.com/mauigay1.html

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

beginning%20to%20gather.JPG

Columbia is very gay friendly. We have a large gay population in the city and a number of heavily gay (25-30%+) neighborhoods. The city and county are also very heavily democratic. (go figure! :) Here are some Gay Pride Pics from Columbia.

P.S. Our marching band needs more members, if any of you play and you're in the area. We have alot of fun!

sc%20pride%20band%202.JPG

gervais%20at%20main.JPG

04%20pride%20queen.JPG

04%20sc%20pride%201.JPG

04%20sc%20pride%202.JPG

04%20sc%20pride%203.JPG

affa.JPG

downtown%20columbia%20more%20gay%20pride%20pics.JPG

congaree%20vista%20area.JPG

gathering%20on%20lady%20street.JPG

getting%20ready.JPG

glpm%20banner.JPG

great%20t%20shirt.JPG

going%20down%20gervais.JPG

group%20from%20aiken.JPG

just%20about%20to%20start.JPG

lady%20street.JPG

more%20aiken.JPG

lining%20up.JPG

pflag%20columbia.JPG

pride%20king%2003.JPG

more%20columbia%20pride%20pics.JPG

sc%20gay%20pride%20festival%20at%20finlay%20park%20columbia.JPG

sc%20pride%20band.JPG

Most notable gay tolerant urban centers I am aware of:

San Francisco

West Hollywood/LA

New York

South Beach Miami & Key West

Portland

Seattle

Philadelphia

Boston

DC

Chicago

Minneapolis

New Orleans

St Louis

I'll give Atlanta, Houston, and Dallas an honorable mention due to size, but its suburbs are more anti-gay then anywhere USA. They are a league below the other major cities, and a league above in hype.

Most notable gay tolerant urban centers I am aware of:

South Beach Miami & Key West

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

South Beach isn't even that gay anymore. Anyway, as I've said before, gays all over south Florida. From Palm Beach, Ft. Lauderdale, Wilton Manors, Miami Shores, Miami Beach, etc. Most of the South Beach scene has moved to the inland along the Upper East side. They're spread out throughout the metro in suburbs and small towns. You're fooling yourself if you think you're getting the whole experience in South Beach. I'm sure the same is true in other places like LA, NY, SF and Chi.

I haven't seen anything anti-gay on this forum...

How about some smaller cities that are accepting of gays?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Berea, KY (pop. 10,000 - Metro Lexington) has a very high gay population and a very accepting community centered around the uber-liberal Berea College.

Asheville, NC (pop. 80,000?) is another that comes to mind...and Berea even reminds me of a smaller Asheville..but with perhaps an even better local art and crafts scene.

Of course there are ways of fixing that.    -_-

Key West is probably the most accepting small city in the Western Hemisphere.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Someone told me alot of gay people were leaving Key West and selling the guest houses. Is there any truth to that? Anyone know?

There are certainly bigots everywhere, but there are certain generalities that are true and trend in certain regions. You find tolerance in higher volumes in certain places, less in others.

Example 1: Chicago. Chicago the city is overwhelmingly open minded and friendly to gay people. The suburbs have its conservative side, but generally speaking they are tolerant too.

Example 2: Atlanta. Atlanta's city has some very gay friendly neighborhoods. You step outside the few communities within 285 that have gay friendly areas, and it gets so horrible and backwards. Pockets of acceptance go around, but they are fewer then any gay Atlantan will seemingly admit.

Anyone don't agree with me? Oh well.

The city of Charlotte is gay friendly to an extent. The suburbs are very anti-gay though. There is a HUGE gay population in Charlotte. Once you get so many miles away frmo uptown though, you start running into the religious conservatives.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is very true. When I moved here, I expected Charlotte to be extremely "religious-right" conservative about everything. But in the downtown, there does seem to be a large gay community. In fact, if the parking garage in my building in any barometer, there are tons of rainbow stickers on cars there. :)

Q: What was the first major city in the Midwest to implement a Domestic Partnership Registry for same-sex couples?

A: Saint Louis.

It is also the same city that harbors a number of gay-friendly neighborhoods within its limits, including:

Central West End

Soulard

Lafayette Square

Tower Grove East

Tower Grove South

Delmar Loop

Benton Park

Dogtown

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think St Louis is one of the most under-appreciated gay friendly cities in the USA. Regardless of reason, its got one of the larger gay pride parades in the US every year, only being beaten by the largest cities like Chicago, New York, SF, etc. And St Louis has the political atmosphere of progressive flavor and more moderate burbs then general.

• 1 month later...

Washington DC is VERY GAY. probably the Gayest city. Dupont Circle the Center point of the City and the Gayborhood as known as the (fruitloop) because of the Parisian Style Traffic pattern around the park and the fountain in the center.

personally the whole city is a gayborhood! Logan Circle is the next and upcomming place to be seen. yah know can we talk about how gay people fix up abandoned places. and turn them into the hip places..thats whats happening in Washington DC now. the place to be was Georgetown back in the 50's-60's with that being the gayborhood and we kept moving east in the city and it became Dupont and now Logan Circle and now Columbia heights and Adams Morgan, Ledorit Park. I love Washington DC. I wouldnt want to live anywhere else. and I love my gay neigbors as well * <3 :wub:

Balitmore(MD), is ok they have a gayborhood called Mount Vernon

Rehoboth Beach (Delaware) is the gay vaction spot on the east coast

Provincetown (MA) another gay resort town on the Cape.

Northern VA (NOVA) is another spot theres just no one town for this area. it's the whole area Esp in Arlington.

There are certainly bigots everywhere, but there are certain generalities that are true and trend in certain regions. You find tolerance in higher volumes in certain places, less in others.

Example 1: Chicago. Chicago the city is overwhelmingly open minded and friendly to gay people. The suburbs have its conservative side, but generally speaking they are tolerant too.

Example 2: Atlanta. Atlanta's city has some very gay friendly neighborhoods. You step outside the few communities within 285 that have gay friendly areas, and it gets so horrible and backwards. Pockets of acceptance go around, but they are fewer then any gay Atlantan will seemingly admit.

Anyone don't agree with me? Oh well.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nope, I have to disagree with you Brandon. Now I know you have had some bad experiences in Atlanta, which leads you to bash it every chance you get, but I have to disagree with you on what you have just said. Atlanta is one the gayest cities in the country..no doubt about that. Percentage wise it is what, third or fourth gayest..not to mention Decatur Georgia which is near the top of the list as well. Everywhere you look in the city there are gay people and it is becoming more common way out in the burbs too...just look at all the gay bars popping up out there...I think little Tucker Georgia has several gay bars already, and this one one of the smaller suburban Atlanta cities. Suburban Atlanta is still conservative but it is light years ahead of the rest of Georgia...hell, half of the suburbs are from Florida, California, New York, Ohio, and other places...so how is it so horrible and backwards? The Atlanta suburbs are certainly not as liberal or progressive as Midtown or Buckhead, but they are definately NOT your little po-dunk hillbilly town in Tennesee either.

Archived