Gay friendly cities

Kick_Me

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Atlanta suburbs are certainly not as liberal or progressive as Midtown or Buckhead, but they are definately NOT your little po-dunk hillbilly town in Tennesee either.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Atlantans haven't got a clue what liberal or socially progressive mean.

Atlanta is one of the most liberal and socially progressive cities in the USA, so yes, they do in fact know what it means. Not trying to start any arguments here but this is a well known fact. No, it is not as liberal or socially progessive as NYC or other top tier cities...not even close. But for a city of its' size it is very liberal.

Now the state of Georgia is not...but Atlanta seems to be independant from the state.

Atlanta is one of the most liberal and socially progressive cities in the USA, so yes, they do in fact know what it means.  Not trying to start any arguments here but this is a well known fact.  No, it is not as liberal or socially progessive as NYC or other top tier cities...not even close.  But for a city of its' size it is very liberal. 

Now the state of Georgia is not...but Atlanta seems to be independant from the state.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Atlanta has pockets of liberalism and progressivism...that's it. The suburbs are the most Republican in the country.

Is Tennessee more hillbilly than other southern states or something?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well Im not really sure about that because Ive never spent too much time in Tennessee but what I was getting at was that Atlanta suburbs, although still largely conservative, are not nearly as bad as rural Southern areas. Hell, two of Atlanta's suburbs are in the TOP TEN cities with the highest percentage of Gay couples.

Sorry^^^  the list goes like this..from the US Census Bureau

These are the top metro areas over 1 million.

1. San franscisco

2. Seattle (suprised me alot!!)

3. Fort Lauderdale

4. NYC

5.Austin

6.LA

7. Atlanta

Largest percentage of Same-sex couples

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Remember, those stats are for couples living together who are out. They are not necessarily a real reflection of the gay population.

Remember, those stats are for couples living together who are out. They are not necessarily a real reflection of the gay population.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Right..which strengthens my argument even more. In most cases couples who are out will live in gay-friendlier cities, where closet couples more than likely live in more conservative areas.

Right..which strengthens my argument even more.  In most cases couples who are out will live in gay-friendlier cities, where closet couples more than likely live in more conservative areas.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Or conservative areas force out people to concentrate in cities while more liberal areas allow for out gay couples to live where they choose within or outside the city.

i would say philadelphia , columbus, new york, san fransico(what a shock), winston-salem/greensboro, rehobeth beach delaware(you would be surprised at the quanity of gays there), ft.lauderdale, and atlanta. those are all that i know of for certain.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've lived in the Triad for years, mainly in Winston-Salem. There is NOTHING about it that is Gay-Friendly (in my opinion). Yes we have a larger gay population, but that's with a lot of metro areas. Chapel Hill would have to be the only "true" gay-friend city in NC...it's the only one with domestic partner registration. The rest should be labeled as gay tolerant (excluding Asheville...it's an exception and to an extent Charlotte as well).

Or conservative areas force out people to concentrate in cities while more liberal areas allow for out gay couples to live where they choose within or outside the city.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Very true...There is no doubt the rural areas in the South are VERY conservative. Certain pockets are worse than others. Seems like the coastal areas are a little less conservative than the upper regions.

Pittsburgh was one of the first big cities in the nation to outlaw discrimination based on sexual orientation (1990).  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

1990? Huh? Where have you been? Pittsburgh was way behind the curve. The firs "big" city to pass a gay/lesbian civil rights ordinance was Minneapolis (1971), second came <gasp> Detroit (1975). San Francisco came in in 1977!

New York 1986, Chicago 1989....

Wisconsin passed the first state bill banning discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation (1983). Thirteen more states have followed (Illinois is the most recent- this year)

The midwest is a horrible place that is overwhelmingly conservative. Chicago is the only exception and it is a brilliant city, belongs on the East coast. Who brought St. Loius up, just another empty deserted conservative semi urban place, certainly not gay friendly at all. Speaking from experience. Aspirations in St. Louis are moving away to Chicago.

What do you all think of a Gay Friendly Neighborhood search engine to find the top gay friendly neighborhoods in any city? I am a PhD geographer and have developed a neighborhood search engine for the U.S. that uses mathematics to attempt to identify and rank neighborhoods within any area based on criteria for certain lifestyles. I just recently built a search function for "Gay Friendly Neighborhoods." This is an experiment at this time, but the hope is that people can use it to find the top gay friendly neighborhoods in any area - no matter where they live. The top gay friendly neighborhoods in an area would not necessarily be highly gay friendly, just the most gay friendly in that particular area. Anyway, its free to use. What do you all think of this? Does it do a fair job of finding the top gay friendly neighborhoods in your area? Here's a link to try it out: http://www.neighborhoodScout.com/option_10.jsp

Sincerely, Drewtell

What do you all think of a Gay Friendly Neighborhood search engine to find the top gay friendly neighborhoods in any city?  I am a PhD geographer and have developed a neighborhood search engine for the U.S. that uses mathematics to attempt to identify and rank neighborhoods within any area based on criteria for certain lifestyles.  I just recently built a search function for "Gay Friendly Neighborhoods."  This is an experiment at this time, but the hope is that people can use it to find the top gay friendly neighborhoods in any area - no matter where they live.  The top gay friendly neighborhoods in an area would not necessarily be highly gay friendly, just the most gay friendly in that particular area.  Anyway, its free to use.  What do you all think of this?  Does it do a fair job of finding the top gay friendly neighborhoods in your area?  Here's a link to try it out: http://www.neighborhoodScout.com/option_10.jsp

Sincerely,  Drewtell

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

While your search engine did identify a couple of the gay-friendly neighborhoods in Columbia, a couple of the "neighborhoods" it selected are mostly commercial and it left out 4 of the most gay friendly neighborhoods in Columbia: Earlewood Park, Elmwood Park, Cottontown and Melrose Heights (which I affectionately call "Lesbiana" because I know so many lesbians that live there).

Right..which strengthens my argument even more.  In most cases couples who are out will live in gay-friendlier cities, where closet couples more than likely live in more conservative areas.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Remember, also, that cities with younger average populations (college towns, for instance) won't have as high a number of people in relationships that live together. While the domestic partners census does give an indication of the relative size of the gay community in an area it just scratched the surface of the true numbers. When I looked at the gay couples numbers in my census tract I could name more gay people that I personally knew in the neighborhood than the total reported in the census.

Charlotte and most of NC. The state's motto is "To Be Rather Than To Seem". Even Redneck's I know in this state are willing to welcome gays in their lives as long as the person is a "good person" (hard-working, honest, trustworthy, principled, committed to another person).

This is most likely true elsewhere, but perhaps because of the inherent prejudices against Southern states like NC, it's more impressive. Personally, my experience has been that my partner (of 16 years) and I are more easily accepted among his (very) rural Southern family than we are among my urban, urbane, Northern family.

What do you all think of a Gay Friendly Neighborhood search engine to find the top gay friendly neighborhoods in any city?  I am a PhD geographer and have developed a neighborhood search engine for the U.S. that uses mathematics to attempt to identify and rank neighborhoods within any area based on criteria for certain lifestyles.  I just recently built a search function for "Gay Friendly Neighborhoods."  This is an experiment at this time, but the hope is that people can use it to find the top gay friendly neighborhoods in any area - no matter where they live.  The top gay friendly neighborhoods in an area would not necessarily be highly gay friendly, just the most gay friendly in that particular area.  Anyway, its free to use.  What do you all think of this?  Does it do a fair job of finding the top gay friendly neighborhoods in your area?  Here's a link to try it out: http://www.neighborhoodScout.com/option_10.jsp

Sincerely,  Drewtell

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's intersting, but some of the results it gave for Providence I wouldn't agree with. That and it only listed the Providence neighbourhoods by number, and they aren't neighbourhoods, they look to be census tracts.

• 2 weeks later...

It's intersting, but some of the results it gave for Providence I wouldn't agree with. That and it only listed the Providence neighbourhoods by number, and they aren't neighbourhoods, they look to be census tracts.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thank you for the comments for the Providence area. I appreciate your feedback. Census tracts are neighborhoods as defined by the Census Bureau. That is, areas of between 1,500 and 8,000 persons with defined boundaries (of some kind) with a somewhat homogeneous lifestyle or population within them that differs from areas abutting them, enough to be differentiated, anyway. We use census tracts as neighborhood units. Colloquial neighborhoods don't have any data equivelants. Thank you again for the feedback. Drew

While your search engine did identify a couple of the gay-friendly neighborhoods in Columbia, a couple of the "neighborhoods" it selected are mostly commercial and it left out 4 of the most gay friendly neighborhoods in Columbia: Earlewood Park, Elmwood Park, Cottontown and Melrose Heights (which I affectionately call "Lesbiana" because I know so many lesbians that live there).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thank you kindly for your feedback. Is there a reason that a mostly "commercial" neighborhood could not be considered gay-friendly? The statistics are built from the data that describe the residents of the neighborhood, even if they are close to (or even surrounded by) commercial development. I am not sure one pours in and the other pours out. Thank you again for your comments on it. It is a work in progress. Best, Drew

"Does it do a fair job of finding the top gay friendly neighborhoods in your area? Here's a link to try it out: http://www.neighborhoodScout.com/option_10.jsp"

I would only somewhat agree. The fourth listing of gay-friendly neighborhoods in Jacksonville, is actually the area most infamous for gay couples and their families. the others were pretty good though.

Archived