Gay friendly cities

Kick_Me

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

wow this is an old thread, but In all of it , in my travels around the country, all this talk about liberal and conservative, I can't imagine how noone would have the gumption to mention Ann Arbor Michigan. I saw more homosexuals there than anywhere else I went, save San Fran of course, granted its a smaller city, but it's not that much smaller than some of these obscure southern cities that have been mentioned

• 4 weeks later...

I am a 23-year old gay guy, I just graduated from college at Texas A&M University-Commerce (northeast of Dallas). I am staying in Commerce and working here for another three years but want to move after I am done here. I really like the South, I am originally from Southern California, and I want to find a place that I can buy a home and adopt a child and live in happiness, without harrasment, and not be in the closet. Are there any suburbs of nice bigger cities in the South or Midwest like this???

There is no doubt that Atlanta has a large gay population, but everything is relative. I find the gay district in DC to be a bit more vibrant, but Midtown Atlanta is certainly cool. In Columbia, our gayborhoods are more residential....Earlewood Park, Elmwood Park, Keenan Terrace, Cottontown, Shandon, Melrose Heights and Olympia. As far as gay and gay-friendly businesses are concerned, they are mostly clustered in the Vista and Five Points, the city's 2 main (overall) entertainment areas.

The midwest is a horrible place that is overwhelmingly conservative. Chicago is the only exception and it is a brilliant city, belongs on the East coast. Who brought St. Loius up, just another empty deserted conservative semi urban place, certainly not gay friendly at all. Speaking from experience. Aspirations in St. Louis are moving away to Chicago.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Almost any rural area is a bad place for gays (unless it has a college which tends to make it more progressive.) But to say that Chicago is the only place for gays is not accurate.

Minneapolis has 3 gay city council members out of 13 --and one who seems to be a hag hag (don't mean to be mean). Our fire cheif is an openly gay lesbian. We were the first city in the country to protect the rights of gays (1971). I used to see our former mayor (a straight married woman) at local gay bars, and We have several openly gay newscasters. We have no gay ghetto --because the entire city is gay friendly. Even our most Exclusive and wealthy suburb (Edina) voted democrat in the last election.

In fact I believe Chicago had to created boys-town as a haven for gays because the rest of the city is so unfriendly. Frankly I think Chicago is the biggest Hick town I've ever been too. The worst part is that they somehow think they are on par with LA or NY. Chcago may be big, but I would live in 15 or 20 US cities before I ever moved back to Chicago.

I am a 23-year old gay guy, I just graduated from college at Texas A&M University-Commerce (northeast of Dallas). I am staying in Commerce and working here for another three years but want to move after I am done here. I really like the South, I am originally from Southern California, and I want to find a place that I can buy a home and adopt a child and live in happiness, without harrasment, and not be in the closet. Are there any suburbs of nice bigger cities in the South or Midwest like this???

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wilton Manors Fla. and Decatur Ga. would fit what you are looking for. Both are very liberal and have large gay populations. Both are burbs. Both are very close to major Cities. Im sure there are more but those are the two in the South that come to mind.

Berea, KY (pop. 10,000  - Metro Lexington) has a very high gay population and a very accepting community centered around the uber-liberal Berea College. 

Asheville, NC (pop. 80,000?) is another that comes to mind...and Berea even reminds me of a smaller Asheville..but with perhaps an even better local art and crafts scene.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It is curious that you mention Berea, I used to live there and , in fact, it is like the liberal isle of Ky. It is a beautiful town, yet, besides some few couples, I did not see that much of a gay community, perse.

Quito, has unfortunately a rather small town attitude towards homosexuality. It is filled with catholic bigots and ignorant people from out of town. There is only one section, called "The Mariscal", where you can find any knid of people, and any kind of things. It is filled with turists, most of whom are americans, and it is a pretty cool place. There are other places also, but those neighborhoods are just to dangerous, known because of their sordid settings. :ph34r:

1990? Huh?  Where have you been? Pittsburgh was way behind the curve. The firs "big" city to pass a gay/lesbian civil rights ordinance was Minneapolis (1971), second came <gasp> Detroit (1975). San Francisco came in in 1977!

New York 1986, Chicago 1989....

Wisconsin passed the first state bill banning discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation (1983). Thirteen more states have followed (Illinois is the most recent- this year)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'd say the year after Chicago did is not "way behind the curve." But anyway... I think Pittsburgh is pretty gay friendly today, regardless of how it may have been in the past. Not like some cities, but we have couple of neighborhoods with high gay populations, there is a gay-oriented magazine published out of Pittsburgh, and it seems like our yearly Pride Parade draws a lot of people, both marching and watching.

The midwest is a horrible place that is overwhelmingly conservative. Chicago is the only exception and it is a brilliant city, belongs on the East coast. Who brought St. Loius up, just another empty deserted conservative semi urban place, certainly not gay friendly at all. Speaking from experience. Aspirations in St. Louis are moving away to Chicago.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

For someone who claims to be "tolerant" you reak of ignorance. St. Louis officially passed gay rights legislation before Chicago did. It is also the only city in Missouri to defeat a ban on gay marriage. There is a huge gay presence in the City of St. Louis. As for being "conservative" it's really no different than most major metropolitan areas in the United States. The central city is overwhelmingly Democratic, and the suburbs tend to be more conservative. In fact, if the 2004 election is any indicator, it appears that more blue surrounds St. Louis than even Chicago:

2004county.gif

And it appears that St. Louis City edged out every other locale in the Midwest in per capita votes for Kerry, even if just barely...

3d_lowangle.gif

18403979.jpg

www.stlouisgayguide.com

btw, sorry muler, I'm straight. :)

The Miami Herald listed this year's top 10 gay pride festivals in North America.

1. New York City's LGBT Pride Week

2. San Francisco Pride

3. Long Beach Pride Celebration

4. Orlando Gay Days

5. Boston Pride

6. Minneapolis Pride

7. Southern Decadence New Orleans

8. Atlanta Pride Festival

9. Pride Vancouver

10. Denver PrideFest

The Miami Herald listed this year's top 10 gay pride festivals in North America.

2. San Francisco Pride

4. Orlando Gay Days 

5. Boston Pride

6. Minneapolis Pride

9. Pride Vancouver

10. Denver PrideFest

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This list obviously extends to Canada since it includes Vancouver, so I must say: What, no Toronto?! :huh:

^ This list has been discussed on other forums, and you're not the first to question Toronto's absence. I think it was determined that its the largest or 2nd largest in the continent.

I think including Gay Days Orlando is a bit strange, as its not a traditional "pride" festival (parades, political activism, etc). It's really (this year more than ever) a big party, with tons of pool parties, performers, major party events, etc. In fact, this year the primary focus (the theme parks) were completely overshadowed by the party events IMO.

• 2 weeks later...

While Texas is not a hot bed of liberalism, Austin is a very gay city with a large gay population for its size. Given the size of the metro area, Austin certainly has a larger percentage of gay people than any city in Texas, despite being much smaller than the Dallas-Ft Worth or Houston metropolitan areas. Austin's home county (Travis) even went Democratic in the last Bush/Kerry election!

It's been my experience that a lot of people view SD as being gay-unfriendly because it is more conservative.  The Hillcrest area seems to be the most gay-friendly neighborhood in the city....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, as a whole the city is pretty conservative, but there are liberal pockets around the city. Hillcrest has always been known as the gay center of town, but North Park and University Heights are quickly vying for the title of the "next" Hillcrest.

2. San Francisco Pride

4. Orlando Gay Days 

5. Boston Pride

6. Minneapolis Pride

9. Pride Vancouver

10. Denver PrideFest

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This list is crap 2 of those (SoDec and GD) are not even Pride festivals. Where is San Diego Pride? Boston and Denver???? come on!!

This list is crap 2 of those (SoDec and GD) are not even Pride festivals.  Where is San Diego Pride?  Boston and Denver????  come on!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I experienced Pride in Montreal a couple of years ago, and it was amazing!

Archived