Economic developments in the Charleston metro area

Spartan

With the need for abundant nearby sources of power and water, plus the potential for salaries averaging $90,000 a year,it looked to me like it could be a possible R&D/Manufacturing project. However,after checking out CBS station 5 in San Francisco/San Jose it seems that Google has been busy building a number of data processing centers where banks of water cooled computers crunches data for their search engine. Such a facility would indeed require massive amounts of water and power. I noticed also, that Google has technology support offices nearby in Atlanta and the Research Triangle.

• 1 month later...

This Friday, the secret corporate interests scouting property around the Columbia and Charleston areas were revealed as fronts for Google. The Internet giant has decided to "clear up rumors" involving their alleged involvment. The company is actively looking at property in Blythewood and Goose Creek and best of all, the two cities are not in direct competition with each other. Hopefully both metros will recieve the benefits of having Google in their backyards.

Edited by SimCity

• 2 weeks later...

This Friday, the secret corporate interests scouting property around the Columbia and Charleston areas were revealed as fronts for Google. The Internet giant has decided to "clear up rumors" involving their alleged involvment. The company is actively looking at property in Blythewood and Goose Creek and best of all, the two cities are not in direct competition with each other. Hopefully both metros will recieve the benefits of having Google in their backyards.

Indeed, it will be a huge boost to Cola's and Chas' economies if Google decides to develop both locations.

• 1 month later...

It looks as if Google coming to the Chas area is becoming more of a reality! The article below talks about a business affiliated with Google that started construction on a massive facility near Goose Creek and has filed plans to build on its 512-acre site. Maguro Enterprises LLC has started clearing trees and laying down a foundation. In addition, Maguro has filed plans with DHEC to build on 169 acres of the land.

The Google spokesman is not admitting anything, yet. He says that Google is not committed to build on the land and they are evaluating and preparing the site "in parallel", whatver that means. Let's continue to hope we get this!

Google-linked company breaks ground in Berkeley

It looks as if Google coming to the Chas area is becoming more of a reality! The article below talks about a business affiliated with Google that started construction on a massive facility near Goose Creek and has filed plans to build on its 512-acre site. Maguro Enterprises LLC has started clearing trees and laying down a foundation. In addition, Maguro has filed plans with DHEC to build on 169 acres of the land.

The Google spokesman is not admitting anything, yet. He says that Google is not committed to build on the land and they are evaluating and preparing the site "in parallel", whatver that means. Let's continue to hope we get this!

Google-linked company breaks ground in Berkeley

Excellent! I hope that's parallel as in parallel with the possible site up in Columbia!

Most of us have probably heard of The Dalles,OR where Google has been working on a "secret" project to expand its data procesing capacity. I have included links to two articles examining the company's secrecy in such affairs, the need for extensive water and electricity as well as the project in Oregon that our two sites in SC could reflect. Also in the articles are some interesting pictures. Jostling to get inside Google

"Google seeks more power"

post-12130-1174548667_thumb.jpg

post-12130-1174548683_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

:yahoo: Yes!!! I now believe it! My only wish is that Google would locate closer to the urban core and not way out in the suburbs. Anyway, it will now be time to start bringing in the high-paying tech jobs and the spin-off industries associated with Google.

That is absolutely awesome. The Chas area is hot, for certain! :thumbsup:

Just imagine the fuel this will add to the growth that's already taking place between Goose Creek and Moncks Corner. Moncks Corner and Goodse Creek can both expect to see great economic growth attached to this project and this will quite possibly be the catalyst to close the remaining gaps of undeveloped land between the two far flung suburbs. Fortunately the 4 lane Hwy US 52 is in an excellent position to accomodate the potential growth and can be widened even further without much trouble should that become necessary in the future.

How much are we shelling out in incentives on this one? There was some discussion on the NC forum about the Google facility that Lenoir landed, with many saying that the state gave up too much in incentives.

Wow, after following your link, it looks like many of the folks up in NC aren't happy about the incentives deal given to Google. Hopefully SC didn't give Google the farm especially since it looks like not many (or any) spinoff industries will come from this.

How much are we shelling out in incentives on this one? There was some discussion on the NC forum about the Google facility that Lenoir landed, with many saying that the state gave up too much in incentives.

Actually, I don't think we gave too much away here. Check out this quote in the SCBiz news magazine:

The company has also entered into a fee-in-lieu-of-taxes agreement with Berkeley County. If Google invests exactly $600 million in the Goose Creek project, its annual fee payment will be $1.96 million. The fee depends on the amount of investment the company makes: If Google invests more in the area, the fee will go up; if it invests less, the fee will be less.
Berkeley County stands to get a pretty hefty annual payment if Google invests as much as it says it will.

Mike, I actually read that the initial employee number is 200, but they're hoping to double that number as the business grows.

Edited by Charleston native

Oops, looks like the state is giving away some incentives, though. <_< The article below is the official news of Google's location here. According to the article, the state said it will grant Google $4.8 million in tax breaks over 10 years if it creates 200 jobs. The average salary of the employees will be $48,000. Not too shabby, these salaries still have fair spending power.

I think the Cane Island development is going to synch-up with Google nicely. It will be a "Daniel Island" type development close to Google's location, so hopefully excessive suburban development will be at a minimum.

Google makes it official

Oops, looks like the state is giving away some incentives, though. <_< The article below is the official news of Google's location here. According to the article, the state said it will grant Google $4.8 million in tax breaks over 10 years if it creates 200 jobs. The average salary of the employees will be $48,000. Not too shabby, these salaries still have fair spending power.

I think the Cane Island development is going to synch-up with Google nicely. It will be a "Daniel Island" type development close to Google's location, so hopefully excessive suburban development will be at a minimum.

Google makes it official

Cane Island does sound promising, but nearby is Cane Bay also which seems Crowfield-esque but larger, and while Crowfield is not the worse suburban type development, I dont think that is what we want to see filling the gap between Goose Creek and Moncks Corner.

Cane Island does sound promising, but nearby is Cane Bay also which seems Crowfield-esque but larger, and while Crowfield is not the worse suburban type development, I dont think that is what we want to see filling the gap between Goose Creek and Moncks Corner.

That's especially true if we have to deal with Crowfield-type pricing. It would be nice to see more affordable housing built in that direction and while Crowfield is very nicely landscaped it seems to be the epitome of wasteful suburban sprawl.

That's especially true if we have to deal with Crowfield-type pricing. It would be nice to see more affordable housing built in that direction and while Crowfield is very nicely landscaped it seems to be the epitome of wasteful suburban sprawl.

I see what your saying. While I lived in Crowfield I was able to walk everywhere I needed to go though, I hope that that is the main thing that Cane Bay decides to copy.