Moving to Irmo or Lexington?

MarlaInTulsa

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello everyone -

I am back from my holiday visit to the Columbia area and I am happy to say that we all really liked Columbia. We did many things like visit the zoo, Edventure, etc. while we were there and mostly enjoyed mid-70s weather the whole time! We visited both Irmo and Lexington extensively and ultimately decided that we liked Lexington better than Irmo, which came as a surprise to me and my husband both.

The things we liked about Lexington: Kind of a small town atmosphere, close to Lake Murray, affordable housing options with our preferred neighborhood amenities, and general local friendliness. We liked several subdivisions including Mallard Lakes, Maple Spring Farms, and Creekside Farms. It is obvious that Lexington is booming with growth - I hope that it can maintain it's charm in the rush.

What we didn't like about Irmo: Neighborhoods seemed to be hit & miss that we looked at (very nice, well-maintained homes next to a home with a car in the yard, etc.), too much traffic around the Harbison/mall area, no affordable new housing options that fit our needs.

We also had the pleasure of dining out on New Year's Eve at Garibaldi's in the downtown area - what a fabulous restaurant! Then we went on to a great time in the Five Points area at a few bars. I was impressed with the restaurants & nightlife both in the Columbia area, although getting there we did pass through a rough area of town.

Well that is what I thought of the city - the move is still on - To Lexington!

Please share any thoughts or comments, and I thank you all for your help & guidance!

Some friends of mine, a couple with one child recently moved to Columbia and made the same Lexington over Irmo choice. I was not that familiar with Lexington, so I showed them Irmo and Harbison. The older sections are looking kind of ratty. New Friarsgate-style blight seems to be spreading outward.

However, don't expect every January to be so warm, this has got to be the warmest January and Winter on record. Not that I'm complaining !!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

We don't really know for sure where we want to move yet - will know more after our visit over the holidays.  I have heard good things about the Dutch Fork area.  Right now I am open to older homes as well as new homes.  We enjoy remodeling projects & enjoy customizing our home to suit our tastes, but a new home has appeal as well.  One phenomenon that I have noticed & wondered about is the lack of attached garages in a large portion of homes in Irmo & Lex.  This puzzles me as most of the existing & all of the new homes being built in Tulsa have 2 car attached garages.  The most important factors to me are listed below:

1. Good school district

2. Family neighborhood with many young children.

3. At least 3bd/2ba home with attached 2 car garage.

4. Relative ease of commute to work/school/shopping, etc.

5. Property value increase probability.

6. Pool or nearby neighborhood pool.

Do any of you have recommendations on specific communities/neighborhoods?  I would be interested in talking to a realtor if you have some that you would recommend.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not sure of how to this message board works.........But I was curious about your results on finding communities in Lexington. I am planning to move soon and I'm leaning towards the Lexington area. I am a teacher and will be needing to find a job and I'm not sure which schools I want to target first. Any suggestions?

I'm not sure of how to this message board works.........But I was curious about your results on finding communities in Lexington.  I am planning to move soon and I'm leaning towards the Lexington area.  I  am a teacher and will be needing to find a job and I'm not sure which schools I want to target first.  Any suggestions?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Welcome to the forum LStill! If you have any questions about how the forum works, feel free to ask.

Unfortunately I am not from here, so I dont't know about the schools. By reputation I have heard that Rich/Lex 5 is a good district and that Irmo HS is a good school .

As an educator you may be interested in the SC School Report Cards that evalutes each school and each district in SC. Maybe you've already seen them? Its going to be the best evalutation of our schools that you can find.

Archived