Offices set for Kline property

Spartan

Offices set for Kline property

Two new multistory buildings planned at Huger-Gervais site

By C. GRANT JACKSON | Business Editor | The State

106325566838.jpg

The Kline Iron and Steel Co. property at Gervais and Huger streets will be redeveloped into two office buildings by Holmes Smith Developments of Columbia and Jerry Kline, who owns the property.

This will be Holmes Smith

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While the buildings are planned as office space, there might be some retail or even residential space on the top floors, said Marty Holmes, president of Homes Smith Developments.

OK.. that would be awesome.

This is good news! Holmes Smith is quality. I just hate to see the rest of those Kline buildings razed -- I know it's just the frontage remaining. I love the contrast of different industrial materials that make up the facade. It's just cool. Maybe the new designs will pay visual tribute.

That would be nice. I'd like to see a 5 or 6 storey structure there. But I think the Vista's zoning requires that brick look, and a relatively low height. I think the Hampton Inn is the highest in the Vista. Maybe the new Hilton will be taller. Not sure though.

I believe brick is a requirement. I recall the apartments next to the old jail costing much more because of that requirement. The bus depot has to be commercial because of the environmental problems..old storage tanks, etc.

I was hoping we'd have a good wind one day and I could watch the old Kline site fall down. Lots of aluminum swaying in the wind over there.

Archived