Salt Lake City Dowtown Photos

jarrodslc

Out sick from work today so what better do than post some photos? These are just some random photos I have of downtown Salt Lake City. I also shot a few off my my balcony for fun as well.

Downtown SLC isn't the best, but it (suprisingly) really isn't that bad either. There is actually light rail here not bad given the size of the city (i think that's thanks to the 2002 Olympics) especially considering the fact that other, much larger, cities I have lived in don't have it. There is also a lot of medium-high density housing in the downtown area and it is very compact and walkable... a good thing since my wife and I share a car, and since we like to drink occasionally :) . A lot cheaper to walk than to take a cab.

Anyway here are the photos. Most are taken from just outside the CBD looking toward it, so there really aren't any close up shots, mostly just cityscapes. Enjoy!

Why not start off with an aerial shot of the CBD

1.jpg

The light rail (TRAX as it's called here) I was talking about.

trax.jpg

Cluster of highrises in the north end of downtown

2.jpg

2 shots of downtown from the southwest

3.jpg

4.jpg

The Wellsfargo Center

5.jpg

Shot off my balcony of the cluter of highrises in the north end of downtown

6b.jpg

Balcony shot of a couple highrises on the east side of downtown

7b.jpg

Another balcony shot

8b.jpg

Balcony shot looking toward the University of Utah and Wasatch mountains

9b.jpg

Last shot from my balcony (what can I say, i love my view)

10b.jpg

Pride fesitval this summer when it was infront of my apartment

11.jpg

My friends, wife, and myself at the Pide Fest but check out the reflection the buildings behind us, I like this shot.

Pride.jpg

Another pride festival shot but a nice shot of the buildings behind them

12.jpg

Downtown in the distance, taken from the University of Utah

13.jpg

My wife at the Brew Fest this summer on the Gallivan Plaza downtown

14.jpg

The latest in alternate transportation (skiing!!)

15.jpg

Street infront of my place in the snow

16.jpg

My stoop

17.jpg

The back of my building

18.jpg

Apartment building behind mine in downtown

19.jpg

The end. Sorry if those took a while to load. I tried to compress them all but I know there was a lot of photos. I have plenty more good shots in and around downtown, but they are all on my work computer. My job, believe it or not, is to drive around the city and photograph buildings. Not a bad job. Maybe I'll upload some of those when I get a chance. Thanks for taking a look at SLC with me.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice pics! I especially like this building.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks, I have more of that building that look much better. I'm not even sure where that one came from. The building just north of it is One Utah Center and it is really nice as well. You can see part of it just to left of the WellsFargo. I would say that those are the only 2 really "modern" style glass highrises in the city. But I prefer the older buildings personally anyway. I'll try and post some better photos of that building soon.

Yeah, the city is nice and the geography of the area is amazing. It's especially nice to be in a walkable city, and I think it has quite a bit of potential over the coming years. However, I am hoping to get out soon. I would love to stick around and watch the city grow but I just can't handle the place. It's a bit too uptight and conservative for me, and being from Texas that's saying alot :D. But seriously, if you don't mind an overwhelmingly one-sided (very conservative) political landscape and religious domination it's a pretty good place. You can't really beat having 7 ski resorts less than 30 minutes away. It will be interesting to see downtown in maybe ten years, I think there are a lot of good things coming. I think it has the potential to either become a really vibrant, cosmopolitian downtown, or it could go the exact opposite way depending on how a few things play out.

Yeah, the city is nice and the geography of the area is amazing.  It's especially nice to be in a walkable city, and I think it has quite a bit of potential over the coming years.  However, I am hoping to get out soon.  I would love to stick around and watch the city grow but I just can't handle the place.  It's a bit too uptight and conservative for me, and being from Texas that's saying alot  :D.  But seriously, if you don't mind an overwhelmingly one-sided (very conservative) political landscape and religious domination it's a pretty good place.  You can't really beat having 7 ski resorts less than 30 minutes away.  It will be interesting to see downtown in maybe ten years, I think there are a lot of good things coming.  I think it has the potential to either become a really vibrant, cosmopolitian downtown, or it could go the exact opposite way depending on how a few things play out.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

not to mention the public transportation which is phenomenal. i mean, it takes you to go skiing! i just got to go out to slc this fall and i thought it was phenomenal. the city is fantastic, and the belt loop has little mountain ranges carved into the sound barrier walls. not to mention that you are no more than a few hours from such site-seeing adventures such as antelope island where the buffalos roam! i'm pretty excited to see it in the winter too, coming out for new years and i can't wait. going to try to hit arches national park this summer. you are very lucky to live where you live, especially in those neat old apartments, i recognized them from the pictures, those are some of the nicest looking ones. good on ya!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived