230 South Tryon

BryanH

Thanks, Neo!

You really get out and about with the cam lately! :)

It's a bit random sometimes but my fiance and I love to visit the coffee shops and read and I've gotten into photography a bit more lately so I tend to have my camera with me at all times. Feels good to get outside every once in a while! :)

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

utcltjay can speak to this....gurl where you at?

Right here, sorry, long time no post.

Your are right Elric, Ivey's has awful floorplans, I lucked out and got what I believed was one of the best floorplans availible, 2 bedrooms of equal size and indipendent bathrooms, and one large living room/dinning room/kitchen area over 650 square feet all by itself. That is why I had no trouble selling mine.

Jim Gross offered special custom designs to a few personal friends and initial buyers of the building, and for that, he had to 'custom' fit the remaining square footage in the surrounding units. There was one unit in particular that was 900 square feet, and in the very middle of the living room was a support beam, that rendered the place unfit for use.

It is difficult to retrofit old buidings with existing structures, but I believe he could have done better with this one.

I really hate it for the owners now, if they thought they had a bad view before, now what little is remaining is gone with The Avenue! I have a feeling values and resale are going to drop considerably!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The building is at least unique. Currently I see two styles going up in Charlotte -- mini-Ratcliffe's with 2 or 3 stories of brick, final upper story of stucco, flying roof (non-gabled or detailed). The other style is the aforementioned spacy stuff. I don't mind these styles at all, but wonder where the creativity has gone.

This brings us back to 230 S. Tryon -- at least it is different! A little romanesque, but different.

I think I'm the only person on this forum that kind of likes the building.

I certainly think it's better than what was there before. I'd love it, of course, if it were using a material other than stucco, but if done right it could be ok.

I actually have never really had a problem with this building either. It's unique and totally different than everything else we've seen. If it were 40 stories, maybe I'd have more of a beef, but it's only 13. I'm willing to try new things on 13 floors, 40 floors I want it the way I want it.

It's definitely an upgrade from the four sided egg carton box previously there, plus we get a little park next door which will be nice to eat lunch in during the summer.

I like this one too:) It's location alone should assure it's success. Visually I think it will be nice.

I like it enough to be moving there...that isn't why I wrote earlier about the design part, though. I have gotten quite bored with the styles being built in town and it is simply refreshing to see ANY rendering or building that breaks the mold. With this one I liked the more classic architecture and the main reason we are moving there are balconies/terraces that aren't just built for two people to stand on and smoke! They are actually large enough for me to consider them additional living space.

We also chose it for location and the proposed plans for another park near us just add to our excitement.

I do wish there were a bit more detailing and definitely not stucco -- at least it isn't the strange stucco colors that are at Phillips Place!

I think by the fact that it sold out so fast, and will be adding residents in a part of town that lacked any before, the building could be bright orange and I'd be raving about :). But I'm a people before buildings kinda guy :).

I'm still waiting to see whether it'll be a metal roof or a tile roof. The EIFS thing, while unfortunate, is kind of a unavoidable for many projects.

I think by the fact that it sold out so fast, and will be adding residents in a part of town that lacked any before, the building could be bright orange and I'd be raving about :). But I'm a people before buildings kinda guy :).

I'm still waiting to see whether it'll be a metal roof or a tile roof. The EIFS thing, while unfortunate, is kind of a unavoidable for many projects.

sorry but please educate me: EIFS?

• 2 months later...

I'm not sure that the Ruth's Chris was ever confirmed as part of the 230 S. Tryon project, but they have now applied for their buidling permit.

The restaurant will be in a stand-along building occupying the space where the former parking lot was between the 230 S. Tryon building and the Johnston Building.....

I can't figure out how to post the Flash rendering of it, but here is a website with a digital image....it under portfolio....not the best looking building in the world, but better than a surface lot on Tryon.

http://www.gmvirtual.net/gmvirtual/

I'm not sure that the Ruth's Chris was ever confirmed as part of the 230 S. Tryon project, but they have now applied for their buidling permit.

The restaurant will be in a stand-along building occupying the space where the former parking lot was between the 230 S. Tryon building and the Johnston Building.....

I can't figure out how to post the Flash rendering of it, but here is a website with a digital image....it under portfolio....not the best looking building in the world, but better than a surface lot on Tryon.

http://www.gmvirtual.net/gmvirtual/

Thanks for the update! I've been trying to get the developer to let us know (we are moving into the building) what restaurant they were going after -- as of last week they said that everything was worked out but the details but they were still unable to release any names! I guess public record always comes in handy...

Archived