230 South Tryon

BryanH

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure that the Ruth's Chris was ever confirmed as part of the 230 S. Tryon project, but they have now applied for their buidling permit.

The restaurant will be in a stand-along building occupying the space where the former parking lot was between the 230 S. Tryon building and the Johnston Building.....

I can't figure out how to post the Flash rendering of it, but here is a website with a digital image....it under portfolio....not the best looking building in the world, but better than a surface lot on Tryon.

http://www.gmvirtual.net/gmvirtual/

I am diggin it! Another parking lot bites the dust. Plus we are going to soon have the parking lot on the 300 block erased and the WB project will complete my list on that side of Tryon. My walk to work will be much more pleasant. :)

A2

I don't know how I missed it the first time, but that is great news that it will be taking up that parking lot. Short retail buildings between high rises actually help create a great urban streetscape.

Strange part of the shuffling of the original plans that moved the restaurant space a little further out in the parking lot, the resident pool is no longer on the parking deck be behind the restaurant space. There still is supposed to be a pocket park in the front and they added two small retail spaces / storefronts on 3rd street.

There's an expanded article in today's Biz section and it says they're shooting for a late December opening. One thing I'm not so sure on (and Charlotte_native alluded to this yesterday before the story broke), why on earth would they combine the condo pool area with the restaurant's outdoor seating??? I don't think I'd like to be doing laps and laying out in the sun mere feet from people eating their filet mignon in business suits. That's just weird.

There's an expanded article in today's Biz section and it says they're shooting for a late December opening. One thing I'm not so sure on (and Charlotte_native alluded to this yesterday before the story broke), why on earth would they combine the condo pool area with the restaurant's outdoor seating??? I don't think I'd like to be doing laps and laying out in the sun mere feet from people eating their filet mignon in business suits. That's just weird.

I'm not sure if the pool and the restaurant will be buffered or not, I'll have to check, but I would think there would be some type of break between the diners and the sunbathers! I hope so anyway -- I plan on spending some time at the pool but don't want to be responsible for ruining anyone's meal!

Well, they're putting up the base of the building now, and looks like they're preparing for starting construction on the building where Ruth's will go.

Yes, they are putting up the stone and marble/granite surfaces on the first two levels facing Second? Street. Looks good. I think this building will be sharp when it's finished.

• 4 weeks later...

I looked up "Real Stucco" on Yahoo's search engine and #10 was my UP thread about Real vs Fake Stucco!

Anyway, it is really hard to understand how they could get the heavy cement stucco to attach to foam boards on a tall building. I think this is actually EIFS. Please keep us posted, as it would definitely improve my understanding of the building.

It may be real stucco but it still looks like it's spread on top of some sort of foam board. I thought 'genuine' stucco was usually spread over some sort of masonry rather than some sort of insulation.

Or maybe I'm just wrong as to what that yellow board on the building is.

It may be real stucco but it still looks like it's spread on top of some sort of foam board. I thought 'genuine' stucco was usually spread over some sort of masonry rather than some sort of insulation.

Or maybe I'm just wrong as to what that yellow board on the building is.

I'm definitely not a stucco expert. They did have some type of boards up that they are applying the "stucco" to. Those boards or some type of mesh went over the yellow boards, or it appeared they did the other day. I don't know if that makes this less real stucco, but I spoke with one of the developers today (I am buying in the building) and he mentioned that the last coat of stucco would go up soon. I asked specifically if it was real stucco since I had heard that it was the EIFS stuff. He said it wasn't, that is was hardcoat stucco and that it was not EIFS.

I'm definitely not a stucco expert. They did have some type of boards up that they are applying the "stucco" to. Those boards or some type of mesh went over the yellow boards, or it appeared they did the other day. I don't know if that makes this less real stucco, but I spoke with one of the developers today (I am buying in the building) and he mentioned that the last coat of stucco would go up soon. I asked specifically if it was real stucco since I had heard that it was the EIFS stuff. He said it wasn't, that is was hardcoat stucco and that it was not EIFS.

I have actually put real stucco - it is 'slapped' on to wet masonry, brick, cinder, or reinforced concrete. Once it cures, the bond is very strong. The point to consider here is the following - real stucco is heavy and it has a drag on the surface it's put on. On a foam board surface there are two flex points. One is the mesh attached to the foam board, the other flex point is the actual foam board and its connection to the frame. Under normal wear and tear real stucco would outperform in the long run. Also, the non-real stucco sounds hollow when you tap on it.

Archived