More Alabama Madness

monsoon

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

having lived in both SC and Alabama (and TN, but that's another story,) and having visited Georgia and NC a good deal in the process, i find it funny people don't associate Georgia more with "old time confederates." or even overlooking stereotypical, negative southern attitudes prevelant in NC...

i also find monsoon's bad english funny...

anyway, it's just a stupid politician out to get votes. ridiculous proposals are tossed around all the time in all branches at all levels of government...gotta keep them voters happy, especially if the media reports large demographics of them get to the polls regularly, no?

monsoon, i hope your crap truly doesn't stink...

and even if it doesn't, your attitude's almost as sad as fickle politicians.

-

having lived in both SC and Alabama (and TN, but that's another story,) and having visited Georgia and NC a good deal in the process, i find it funny people don't associate Georgia more with "old time confederates." or even overlooking stereotypical, negative southern attitudes prevelant in NC...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So what was the story on TN? Is it more progressive or more backward than the other southern states? I've always believed most of the areas in and around Davidson and Shelby counties were quite progressive, as well as some of the more urbanized areas of East Tennessee. Notice I used the term "most" instead of "all." This is because Dickson exists.

So what was the story on TN?  Is it more progressive or more backward than the other southern states?  I've always believed most of the areas in and around Davidson and Shelby counties were quite progressive, as well as some of the more urbanized areas of East Tennessee.  Notice I used the term "most" instead of "all."  This is because Dickson exists.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Don't get him (lsyd) started, Claws. His consistent and unfounded use of stereotype to describe millions of Tennesseans has been a constant source of wonderment on my part as to why I even bother to participate in these forums.

With two posts, I assume you're new. If he follows his usual pattern of bashing our beautiful state (all of it), you're in for several great reads. But don't try to feed the pup, his collar's on a bit too tight. He might bite.

The metropolitan areas of Tennessee, among others, certainly don't need his approval.

Anyone can say anything on paper, but what it all comes down to is that in a decent sized metro area there are so many people that you are going to find a niche. I have lived in Alabama, not even Birmingham and I had the time of my life. Yeah I am gay and found alot of clubs to go to as well as straight ones and great restaurants and saw some great preservation, as well as modern convenience. You can say an area is in distress and even so it still may be on paper, but from place to place regardless of debt or crooked politicians much of it is the same.

Insult me if you like, but it further demonstrates that no one from Alabama cares about the real issues that state faces.

No one? Please. Believe it or not, there are progressives in Alabama, as there are in every other Southern state. We have our share of troglodytes too, and they tend to be quite vocal.

Issues such as Alabama being the most unhealthy state in the country. People there are the fattest, have the shortest life spans and make the most unhealthy choices of any state in the Union.

Read the article again. Yes, my fellow Alabamians appear to be the most obese, and that's a horribly shameful fact. However, Alabamians don't have the shortest life spans, and I didn't see anything about Alabamians making the most unhealthy choices. Please pay attention to the facts before making these inflammatory posts.

Additionally, the potential bill that you mentioned in the initial post has not become law, and is not likely to pass if it is actually filed in the next legislative session.

(Edit: Added second quote and comments.)

Yeah I will go with that. Even the National election this year was rediculous while diverting from real issues we heard people bantering about gays and morals....not to start a debate here but the thing is if you have morals take them and keep them, we all have a different standard. You can do what you want right now, but yeah when exclusions start taking place to take the focus off of real issues it really is a waste.

• 1 month later...

Spartan, lsyd242, I don't think anyone has misgivings about GA history (they're a saying that once you get outside of ATL its welcome to GA)

As for the actual topic itself, politicians focus their attention on concepts like family values, gay rights b/c they can easily galvinize a population, thus making easier for them to pick which side they should be on. Actually trying to improve the welfare of your constituants actually requires something called work...a fleeting concept in public office.

Umm, I don't see any of the states mentioned here as being particularly progressive. Hell, when we first moved to Raleigh, I came home and my wife said "OMG, we've moved to Mississippi". They had passed some really hokey gun law (I think it was concealed guns back in 1994). She's as big a liberal as anybody I know though, and she still hasn't found her nirvana.

IMO, the less government we have the better... big time libertarian here. If there are any laws against a specific lifestyle, then that's bad. By the same token, I don't think the govt. is going to suddenly pass laws that make fat people thin. At least as long as this is still the land of the free and the home of the brave.

• 3 months later...

More madness from the state of Alabama.  This Link has more about a lawmaker plans to remove any references about "gay" from the state school system.  I guess the strategy is they will just disappear.   

The sad fact of the matter is Alabama faces serious problems with unemployment, suburban sprawl, poverty and the like, yet the people elect people who continue to waste the public's time and money on events such as this. 

Thumbs down to Alabama.    :sick:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As a life long Alabamian, I can't argue with parts of your point. I'm a male heterosexual moderate Republican who finds many of the things done in this state very frustrating. This politician's problem with "gay" references in books is an excellent example of the cleaning up everyone else's backyard but their own mentality that some politicians and some segments of the population in this state have. Personally, I don't agree with the gay rights crowd. However, I've grown up with and have known guys that I'm almost sure are gay and they're cool to hang out with. I have no issues in that regard.

I do think your generalizations are way out of line though especially in regard to Alabama's unemployment rate. Outside of about a dozen counties in the Black Belt region of the state and a couple more on the Mississippi border, Alabama has a very solid economy and unemployment rate. In fact, the state does incredibly well when you consider that these pockets of poverty significantly drag down Alabama's overall unemployment numbers. The state does remarkably well in spite of its state government. That being said, you are right in regard to bashing our state gov't. It certainly deserves a harsh grade. On the other hand, just because this blowhard politician cares about what's in textbooks doesn't mean the whole state gives a rip. Nice broadbrush. <_<

Let's all face facts in the South (and all over the country for that matter); there are alof of stupid politicians and people everywhere. The dingbats do seem to be more vocal in some of our Southern states, though. My home state of South Carolina, not excluded. Times will change, albeit slowly, and the U.S. may eventually catch up with Western Europe in terms of civilized conduct (though there are problems there, too). I do get tired of being bashed by uneducated, closed-minded politicians, though, regardless of their location.

Fear of Heights - thanks again for your insight, also I agree with you Waccamatt.

This type of snobbery is not only uncalled for - it's simply idiotic. NC more civilized than AL? SC more civilized than GA? Come on people, we're talking about the south! It makes as much sense as arguing which dictator was more compassionate - Hitler or Stalin (a bit of a stretch but I hope you get my point).

But I'll admit I will probably me more willing to admit NC's state policies are more progressive than much of the rest of the south - except VA & FL. But another quandry that prevents NC & states such as GA with a growing suburban population - there isn't much of a differrence regarding social policy between a 70 year old white rural democrat & a 40 year old suburban republican. So, it's a matter of picking your prejudice - Alabama politicians may hate gay people b/c they're just 'queer' while NC politicians may say they 'support' gay people, but will vote for legislation that supports the 'family'.

Archived