LaVilla

vicupstate

I always thought that Lavilla should become more of a transition between the highrises of downtown and the lowrise houses of Riverside/Avondale/Brooklyn. I think the city should encourage 7-10 story apartment buildings, on the scale of European apartment buildings or maybe like Greenwich Village in NYC, there which would be rental and not condos. This would allow for more affordable housing for young people and would encourage the use of mass transit in this area.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IN THE PIPELINE: Restaurant plans to jazz up La Villa

By ALISON TRINIDAD, The Times-Union

Plans to build a $2 million-plus La Villa restaurant -- a jazzy seafood restaurant and grill at the heart of the historic neighborhood -- finally are ready for construction.

The city issued a building permit earlier this month for the roughly 6,000-square-foot building, at 816 W. Union St. between Davis and Madison streets, nearly three years after Jax Casual Dining LLC of Orlando first brought the project to the city. According to the permit application, construction costs are estimated at $1.95 million.

The site, a vacant block downtown, across the street from The Ritz Theatre and La Villa Museum, has been fenced off and marked with orange flags. Doors are expected to open before the end of the year.

Read the rest...

Another Shelter headed to LaVilla

Construction at Trinity Rescue Mission for a women's and children's center, 627 W. Beaver St. between Jefferson and Broad streets, two stories totaling 14,208 square feet, $870,000; contractor is Williams and Rowe Co. Inc.; owner is Trinity Rescue Ministries; architect is KBJ Architects.

http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stor..._19077411.shtml

Random question ...

The city still owns several completely vacant blocks in LaVilla. How does one buy them? I've never seen a "for sale" sign. I've never seen an RFP. I've never seen an asking price. Is it all back-room deals? After 15 years, are the idiots still irresponsibly holding out for too much money?

Last year I contacted the city, in an effort to buy a small lot vacant lot (50' wide x100' deep) the own on the SW corner of Monroe & Jefferson. I was told that when they got ready to get rid of the land, they would issue a RFP. So I guess its only RFPs and back room deals.

Actually, If you think about it, holding land is pretty smart. Though I hate that there are these vacant lots, by them NOT being availible for use, it force developers to use land that already exists for developement. This is land that once the city loses it will not get back. It is controlling its flow as carefully as possible. There is the down side of having property that isnt generating taxes, however, if you opened all of the properties to development at once (or at last close together) then you loose the ability to control the 'densification' of DT. If you have too much land open for developement, the land gets alot cheeper, and therefore, you could end up with a 2 story JTB office complex in the heart of DT. However, if you release it as the market demands, you keep the land value up and thus forcing large developemnts in.

Not to mention there is already an office space surplus in DT to begin with. Opening up the lots will only increase this problem.

One final thought...

Jacksonville is growing pretty rapidly. Howewever, most of the new developments on the NB are realy in the range of 10-15 stories. By holding this land as long as possible, you are able to hold out for the 30-40 story buildings that will be desired soon enough. Sell the land too quickly, and that will no longer be an option.

Anyway, just some thoughts...

Cheers

Hopefully, the food will taste better than what's on Rally's menu. As far as the building footprint goes, it looks like its a typical suburban layout with a parking lot separating it from Davis Street, which would be unfortuante, since all of the other buildings in the area are right up on the sidewalk.

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know what's to become of Brewster?  Are they moving it across the street?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Brewster came down to make way for a Veterans Association Clinic and patient/employee parking garage. It was in very bad shape at the time. When the structure was torn down a time capsule was discovered by work men.

Archived