LaVilla

vicupstate

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The old Brewester Hospital isn't being torn down.  Its the structure that's in the process of being moved a block or so, over.  Plans are to renovate it into some sort of museum/community center.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well obviously I'm confused. Something was torn down. I'll find out what. I'm going to attribute that to me still being new to Jacksonville.

I did attend the opening of the time capsule. There was a pretty good turnout. An entire program had been put together. There were several speakers: the President of Shands Jacksonville, someone from the Springfield Preservation and Revitalization Council, a former nurse who graduated from Brewster Nursing School, and the former Brewster/Methodist Hospital administrator.

In the time capsule, there was a newspaper, photos, legal documents, sand, business cards, and other things that I can't recall at the moment.

-J

Last year I contacted the city, in an effort to buy a small lot vacant lot (50' wide x100' deep) the own on the SW corner of Monroe & Jefferson.  I was told that when they got ready to get rid of the land, they would issue a RFP.  So I guess its only RFPs and back room deals.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

^Those street names threw me off for a second... Monroe and Jefferson intersect in Tallahassee too!

Its actually where the Florida Capitol Sits across from it the Leon County Courthouse.

68920624901.jpg

How neat!

Check out today's Daily Record (8/26). The "Riverside" Yates YMCA (actually in Brooklyn, between Haskell and St. Joe.) has finally decided against moving. They will construct a new facility on-site within the next 3 years.

This pretty much puts the final nail in the coffin on the proposed residential highrise for that site. It seems quite dead.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

From the TU .... looks like we have some state funding for the Transportation Hub.

"Jacksonville Transportation Center/Multimodal Traffic Management Center. Located at the Prime Osborn Convention Center. Estimated cost: $8.1 million."

Of course, the package also includes $2.7 million for signs along I-95 south of I-295. Not to mention a $63 million interchange along I-10 (outside the 295 loop). Free market causes sprawl, indeed!! :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived