Smallest City In The USA

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I suppose it would depend on your definition of city. In Massachusetts and Rhode Island a city is determined by it's form of government. That's where Framingham, MA gets it's claim of largest town, with 67,000 people, while Barnstable, MA is a city of 48,000. (though Barnstable continues to call itself a town).

I suppose it would depend on your definition of city. In Massachusetts and Rhode Island a city is determined by it's form of government. That's where Framingham, MA gets it's claim of largest town, with 67,000 people, while Barnstable, MA is a city of 48,000. (though Barnstable continues to call itself a town).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

what i mean by city is actually clssified as a town, instead of city or town, how about establishment.

There is a town in SC that has a shack where all the city business is done, there is a sign that says city limits, and a few yards down the road, there is another sign that says you are leaving the city.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Fort Mott?

My first thougt about this thread was Weekie Wachee, FL. I read about that whole community and Weekie Wachee Beach once, and I remember that the populatino thiere was 12. I am suprised that the place in Vermont has 5.

I am suprised that the place in Vermont has 5.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Did you think it would be larger or smaller?

Oh, and my parents live about a half hour from Weeki Wachee, and I've been through it. There's quite a few houses (despite the city limits being so small) so I'd say 12 is underexaggerated. Maybe 12 houses..? Anybody else been there that agrees with me?

Did you think it would be larger or smaller?

Oh, and my parents live about a half hour from Weeki Wachee, and I've been through it. There's quite a few houses (despite the city limits being so small) so I'd say 12 is underexaggerated. Maybe 12 houses..? Anybody else been there that agrees with me?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was suprised that there exists a place in which the population is less than 12 (that being the smallest population I had heard of until now.

I was suprised that there exists a place in which the population is less than 12 (that being the smallest population I had heard of until now.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, and it's town limits are pretty much cookie-cutter to the rest of southern Vermont. (Around 45 square miles) The Green Mountain Range does run through it, but then again it runs through most of the state.

• 3 weeks later...

^booooo... :D

On paper, the smallest incorporated municipality in Florida is Islandia, south of Miami. The last census reported 6 people. It's on an island southeast of the mainland (Elliot Key) and it's only accessible by boat.

It's considered an "inactive city" because there have been no city council meetings for several years, and the last election held was conducted in an illegal manner.

The residents of Bay Lake and Lake Buena Vista are all Disney employees.

Actually those two places lie within Reedy Creek Improvement District, one of two such type of taxing districts in Florida (the other one is The Villages Improvement District). Reedy Creek is designed to be self-sustaining and autonomous, having its own police, fire dept, electric utility, water and sewer, zoning dept, etc.

On paper: Disney is the largest property owner in RCID, and the taxes Disney pays go to RCID. RCID then in turn uses its revenues to maintain the infrastructure that Disney uses to operate its theme parks.

RCID is created by statute, so it could technically be dissolved at any time, but that wouldn't happen.

The units of government in Michigan are villages, townships, and cities.  The smallest city in Michigan is Omer, population 337.  There are a number of very small villages, but I don't have any statistics handy.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually it looks like the smallest city in Michigan is Lake Angelus with 326.

• 3 weeks later...

Actually it looks like the smallest city in Michigan is Lake Angelus with 326.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'll take your word for it. I just read that Omer was the smallest city on the internet, which isn't always the most reliable source of information.

Archived