Trondheim

Christian

Trondheim, Norway

Trondheim is a 1000 year old city in mid-Norway. The city has developed and become the third largest city in Norway with a population counting 146 000), but with over 170 000 in the metro area. Trondheim is well known city and a famous tourist attraction because of its unique history, the famous architecture especally its wooden houses and Nidarosdomen which is the largest and most impressive church in Scandinavia.

Trondheim4.jpg

Trondheim1.jpg

Trondheim2.jpg

Trondheim3.jpg

Statue of Olav Trygvasson. Olav Trygvasson was a famous Norwegian viking king who established the city in 997.

fly_foto.2.jpg

Trondheim5.jpg

Trondheim winter.

Trondheim6.jpg

Northern light appare every week durning the night in the winter with clear sky.

Trondheim7.jpg

A large stone building, the oldest pert of Trondheim University who room 15 000 students each year.

Trondheim10.jpg

Old wooden buildings.

Trondheim.jpg

Trondheim9.jpg

Kristiansten Festning, a fortres built in the 16th century on a hill with good view over downtown Trondheim.

Trondheim8.jpg

From Tyholtt

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^ Sure...:)

101-Trondheim(580pixler_br).JPG

Downtown airphoto.

Downtown Trondheim, with the 100m tall Nidarosdomen.

Sentrum_1.jpg

News.jpg

Ruins of a restaurant that burn down during the large fire in december 2002. A whole block in downtown burn down, four larger wooden buildings was completly destroyed, and several more was damaged.

n27-17-3.jpg

The downtown statue fo Olav Tryggvason.

n46-28-3.jpg

Image from one of the most busy shopping streets in downtown Trondheim. This though a Sunday evening when the stores are closed. There are usally far more shoppers walking down there.

n7-18-3.jpg

A day at Trondheim Torg. This is the largest shopping center in downtown with 73 stores.

%7Boption%7Dhttp://www.trondheim.com/bildearkiv/DSCF2349.EPS

That was a fantasitc photo tour. I have heard of Trondheim, but I didn't know that much abuot it. The wooden houses look almost like suburban america, but not quite:)

Density is relative. Cities in Europe have less vertical density,but usually more horizontal density.

Amazing photos! I love this photo: http://www.idi.ntnu.no/~roger/trheim/Sentrum_1.jpg

I have not seen the northern lights in ages. We can typically see them at least a couple times each year, but I have managed to miss seeing them every time. Every time they say we will be able to see them it's cloudy out. I haven't seen them since 1991! LOL.

@ Allan/Neo

Here we can see the northern light the whole winter, when its clear sky. The northern light usually occure in the evenings around 21.00 to 01.00. Some times its quite weak, but in the autumn we can have a very strong light who covers about the whole sky. Then the northern lights is roling over in great speed, and in different colours. But this autumn we haven't had so strong northern lights, probably about the same as in the image from Trondheim. Saw the light several times last week, btu nothing specal actually.

@ Spartan

Yes Trondheim has a lot of wooden buildings. The oldest ones is the brews which is from the around 1750. And thats quite old to be wood, only the stave churchs is older. These buildings could be far older, but Trondheim has been devastated by fire several times. The whole city burn down in 1680, and they rebuilt the city in wooden buildings with a new street map. But in 1708 the whole city burned down again, it was then they decidet to built concrete buildings. We can find these concrete buildings mostly over whole downtown today. Then we have several large wooden building areas around downtown.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello to the Norwegians from a northern Minnesotan!

I believe Minnesota is Norway's little colony... and the Norwegian culture is strong here.

(My city is filled with Lutherans who insist upon eating Lutefisk and Lefse every Christmas)

Trondheim looks like a beautiful city. I will visit there some day.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello to the Norwegians from a northern Minnesotan!

I believe Minnesota is Norway's little colony... and the Norwegian culture is strong here.

(My city is filled with Lutherans who insist upon eating Lutefisk and Lefse every Christmas)

Trondheim looks like a beautiful city.  I will visit there some day.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Lutefisk and Lefse is very famous traditional food. As a youth i don't eat much Lutefisk though anymore! But Lefse is still popular, my favorite is Vestlands-lefse, while i don't enjoy some others that much.

Minnesota is sure Norways little colony, also south/north Dakota. I have relatives which i know of both in Minnesota and Wisconsin. And im not the only Norwegian with relatives from those states!

Trondheim

Some more pics from Trondheim taken by me in early august this year.

kristianstenfestning14ks.jpg

Downtown from Kristiansten Festning.

kristianstenfestning33mr.jpg

Kristiansten Festning, first buildt be the Swedes in the 17th century, but later used against the Swedes.

kristianstenfestning25if.jpg

Kristiansten Festning, with Tyholtt

Trondheim from Nidarosdomen

Some more pics from Trondheim taken by me in early august this year. All images here is taken of Nidarosdomen or from the roof of Nidarosdomen.

nidarosdomen2small9qz.jpg

nidarosdomen27rt.jpg

nidarosdomen37rp.jpg

nidarosdomen15ro.jpg

Munkegata, with the main sqaure and Olav Trygvasson statue further down.

trondheim161xn.jpg

The Brew houses down Nidelven.

trondheim144pj.jpg

Tyholtt

• 2 weeks later...

Archived