San Marco

vicupstate

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

San Marco Place groundbreaking is Friday

Mayor John Peyton and City Council members will be on hand Friday for the groundbreaking of the San Marco Place condominium project on the Southbank.

Construction of the 141-unit, 21-story condo tower will start Feb. 7, the day after the Super Bowl, and is scheduled to be finished in 18 months. The Haskell Company is handling the design and construction of the $50 million project.

San Marco Place will be on Riverplace Boulevard, between Morton's Steakhouse and the AvMed building, with units ranging in price from $189,000 to more than $1 million. More than 75 percent of the units have already been sold.

The City Council granted Riverplace Properties a tax rebate incentive package in March that would provide up to $3.6 million in city money depending on the prices of the units -- the higher the prices of the units, the less city assistance the developers will receive.

San Marco Place groundbreaking is Friday

Mayor John Peyton and City Council members will be on hand Friday for the groundbreaking of the San Marco Place condominium project on the Southbank.

Construction of the 141-unit, 21-story condo tower will start Feb. 7, the day after the Super Bowl, and is scheduled to be finished in 18 months. The Haskell Company is handling the design and construction of the $50 million project.

San Marco Place will be on Riverplace Boulevard, between Morton's Steakhouse and the AvMed building, with units ranging in price from $189,000 to more than $1 million. More than 75 percent of the units have already been sold.

The City Council granted Riverplace Properties a tax rebate incentive package in March that would provide up to $3.6 million in city money depending on the prices of the units -- the higher the prices of the units, the less city assistance the developers will receive.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In related news, also in attendance will be one "JaxInvestor" who posts on the online newsgroup located at www.urbanplanet.org. It is undetermined at this time if any others from the online newsgroup will be in attendance?

--------

btw...surely this quote came from SOMEWHERE, but the source wasn't listed???

• 4 weeks later...

Hendricks avenue has been in bad shape for a while. I go to school by San Marco and this year while going out to lunch, I have been going to places close to Hendricks. Often, there are big potholes and sometime my car is literally going sideways because the slope of the road is awful in some areas. I am hoping for beautiful landscaping as well.

Hendricks avenue has been in bad shape for a while. I go to school by San Marco and this year while going out to lunch, I have been going to places close to Hendricks. Often, there are big potholes and sometime my car is literally going sideways because the slope of the road is awful in some areas. I am hoping for beautiful landscaping as well.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I guess you NEVER drove upstate NY,some cities look like war zone with potholes big enough to swallow your whole car,soem streets look like they were shelled with grenades....

I think Jacksonville streets are as perfect as it gets,even worst streets are still good compared to thos up north.

But I do agree ,streets can never be even enough. :-)

• 3 weeks later...

I find it to be an amazing display of historical ignorance that no one in the city even knew that South Jacksonville used to have a streetcar line. This is typical of our city "planners". I agree with Lake though - we should leave them in place and let them form a circle going from the Southbank down Hendricks then through San Marco and around northward on San Marco Blvd. That would be useful and an attraction.

Just thought Ild add this because I thought it was funny...

Just drove down hendricks ave on my lunch break, and I definanatly saw them pulling up one of the cross beams and what looked like them scratching there heads, trying to figure out how to get another one out...

Anyway.. Mostly jsut thought it was cool seeing those old crossties from a trolly that no one knew existed...

cheers

It is hard for me to believe that there is no documentation on a trolley line in the San Marco area.Something tells me there is a little more to this story as to what is under this street and maybe under parts of San Marco.This is gonna be getting expensive before all is said and done,IMO. :cry:

Kings Avenue Station to house restaurants, shops, office-condos

65039_400.jpg

Jacksonville developer Michael Balanky said he completed a deal with the Jacksonville Transportation Authority to lease 1.5 acres in San Marco to develop the Kings Avenue Station, comprising 70,000 to 150,000 square feet of office and retail space, next to the Kings Avenue parking garage.

Balanky is managing principal of Kings Avenue Redevelopment LLC and also is developing the San Marco Place condominiums near the Southbank, not far from the Kings Avenue project.

"We are talking to a couple of large office tenants," he said. "The nice thing about the site from an office perspective is once you get over four stories, it will be the most visible site from Interstate 95."

Balanky proposes up to an eight-story office building within the project that could be leased to a single tenant. The site also will include restaurants, retail shops and office-condominiums. He expects to announce some tenants in about a month.

He said the ground lease with JTA is for 70 years.

The Ervin Lovett & Miller architecture, planning and design firm designed Kings Avenue Station.

Should Publix Super Markets not locate at a separate site in San Marco being marketed by Wachovia Corp., Balanky said his site could accommodate it.

Karen Brune Mathis/The Times-Union

This story can be found on Jacksonville.com at http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stor..._18230743.shtml.

Developers have bids ready for site in San Marco

A central piece of San Marco property is in play again for shops, housing, offices and perhaps a long-awaited grocery store.

That prime property, a former target for a Publix-anchored center, sits along Atlantic Boulevard at Hendricks Avenue. SouthTrust Corp. had been marketing the site, but Wachovia Corp. recently bought SouthTrust and is considering possibilities for the land.

Councilman Art Shad said Wachovia issued requests for proposals several weeks ago. Developers were asked to tell Wachovia what they would pay for the land, with a requirement that the property include a Wachovia Bank branch.

Wachovia spokesman Kevin Bezner said Tuesday that the Charlotte, N.C.-based bank company "did request information from companies about how they might develop the property, but we are only at the research stage."

The land makes up about 70 percent of four blocks. "This property is the heart of San Marco. You draw and circle around San Marco and put a star in the middle, and this is it," Shad said.

We hear at least eight developers could be interested, including Jacksonville-based Sleiman Enterprises and Regency Centers, Miami-based American Land Ventures and St. Petersburg-based Sembler Co.

Retail center developer Toney Sleiman, who bought The Jacksonville Landing on the Northbank, referred questions to Wachovia.

Regency Chairman Hap Stein confirmed his company's interest. "I think there's an opportunity to do something special there from a mixed-use standpoint," Stein said, agreeing that "it could be a good location" for a Publix. Regency is a leading developer nationwide of grocery-anchored shopping centers.

Sembler public relations director Amber Overby confirmed that Sembler bid on the property, but cannot discuss the proposal. Sembler developed the Riverside area Publix center.

Sembler formerly had a contract for the San Marco site with SouthTrust, but dropped it about a year ago, citing land costs.

American Land Ventures, which is developing the Strand and Peninsular residential towers on the nearby Southbank riverfront, also confirmed its interest. "We made a pretty sizable investment, and we want to leverage off of that market," said American Land President President Granvil Tracy.

Tracy said his group was considering about 100 residential units, retail shops, a grocery store and the Wachovia branch. He said there were no specific plans for a Publix, although "it may be nice" to have one. "There generally was interest by a number of different grocery chains," he said.

Publix has yet to confirm a San Marco store. "We would love to be in San Marco. If the deal is right, we will be there, but there are no plans at this point because we don't have a signed lease," said spokesman Dwaine Stevens.

Lori Boyer, president of the San Marco Preservation Society, invites developers to pay the group an early visit. "We would hope that any prospective purchaser would come talk to us in advance of developing detailed architectural designs" that require city review and City Council approval. "Often we are able to support the ... application that comes before the council," she said.

Shad did not know the development time frame, but is ready. "We will move as quickly as they would like to because it's an important corner we would like to see developed."

karen.mathisjacksonville.com, (904) 359-4305

This story can be found on Jacksonville.com at http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stor..._18230931.shtml.

A big day for San Marco. I'm really glad that the Skyway station proposal is bigger, more dense and taller.

For once, a bank merger has a positive impact on Jax. I wonder if Publix was really looking to go to the Skyway station or if they just used that for leverage with SouthTrust/Wachovia?

A big day indeed. I'm glad the Kings Station project has grown in size, because the developer is right. I-95 basically wraps around the site, so anything of considerable height would offer impressive visability, to the thousands of people traveling along I-95.

If a large mixed use development locates at the Wachovia site, that makes a stronger case for my dream of seeing the the Skyway expanded from Kings Avenue Station to the northside of Atlantic Blvd, along FEC's tracks. This would connect the popular San Marco Square area with downtown, as well as spur re-investment along Kings Avenue, between I-95 & Atlantic. As everybody knows, mass transit systems (like the skyway) only works when it connects popular destinations to one another.

I have to admit, I like the way the design looks. I know some of you guys are tired of the stucco type look, but for the area, I think its appropraite. Especially considering San Marco place, Strand, and Pen. all have the same type of design, only much larger. I hope it goes through both for the asthetics as well as what it would do for the Skyway

Archived