San Marco

vicupstate

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the best location for making money for Publix now is clearly the SouthTrust branch site. It has the best visability, accessibility and proximity to existing housing. But, the best site for the future of downtown development is the skyway station. Maybe another supermarket could go into that site. We will see.

i agree, the best location for right now is atlantic blvd, all things being equal. of course, we don't know if all things are equal, and other factors could make kings ave more attractive even now. 10 years from now, kings might be the best site if even half these proposals get built.

the atlantic and kings ave sites are really darn close to each other though, so I can't quite imagine TWO publixes. however, once a few of these proposed towers get built, i bet there would easily be the population base for a publix at one and something else at the other (fresh market, whatever).

• 4 weeks later...

A new lot for Hendricks

by Bradley Parsons

Staff Writer

The City is offering some relief for the parking woes on Hendricks Avenue.

The on-street parking shortage on the Southbank corridor from Cedar Street to Landon Avenue has become even more pronounced since the City started work in February on a $7 million road resurfacing and widening project.

Parking has always been scarce in the area. Proprietors along Hendricks say it will soon become non-existent as soon as the City

• 4 weeks later...

Wachovia keen on San Marco parcel

Development could include new Publix

By RYAN GEDDES, The Times-Union

Wachovia Corp. is edging closer to a deal that would transform a busy San Marco corner into a multi-block development that could include a new supermarket.

The Charlotte, N.C., bank said it will team up with Jacksonville-based companies St. Joe Co. and Regency Centers Corp. to redevelop a prime piece of property it controls in the heart of the historic neighborhood.

http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stor..._18677499.shtml

This will be great for the area if it comes to fruition.

My guess would be that Publix would take up shop in San Marco before anyone else. They offer the best package for supporting the surrounding archetecture as they have already proven with their Riverside location. The question is where will they build?? Interest was announced for the Kings Ave development, Riverwalk development, and now this site. Personally I would prefer to see them move into the Kings Ave. Station, but anything in San Marco will be beneficial.

^The San Marco site was always Publix's first choice. The other alternative sites came across when the deal with Sembler fell through. About a year ago, I did some work for Regency Centers with the First Baptist site on Hendricks Avenue, just south of I-95. It would have been a 28,000sf Publix and about 10k-12k sf of retail lining Hendricks, from I-95 to Nira Street.

All in all, I think that was the best site for a grocery store serving both downtown and San Marco, but probably the most complicated to assemble.

Now since Regency has abandoned those plans, at this time, the best location for a Publix is the Wachovia site. Its centrally located in an area with a MUCH higher population then that of downtown, which is what is most important to a grocery chain right now.

Depending on which proposal for the old library is chosen, there's a good chance that the Northbank will have a small grocery store, within a year or two. In the future, I'd assume that downtown's population will be large to support a large grocery of its own, whenever San Marco Riverwalk's comes online.

The elimination of the on-street parking on Hendricks is a typically clueless traffic engineer "solution". This will (1) accelerate the traffic through the area thereby harming business and scaring pedestrians and (2) remove scarce parking spots which allow business patrons to stop quickly and drop in for a bite to eat or to buy something. This is not an improvement. The only way I would agree with the widening would be if the City would run a streetcar line down the middle of the road.

• 3 weeks later...

I was just in DT earlier today... Has anyone noticed they now have a "coming soon" Rendering Sign up at the San Marco Station...

Anyone know when any ground breaking is suppose to take place...

(By the way, I think that is the best residential project planned for that area. By its nature it has completely integrated itself into the Skyway... now we jsut need more destination along the skyway to build it up even more. Sure it isnt a 30 storie high rise. But 8 (?) is pretty impressive too considering its right there at the Skyway Station)

The elimination of the on-street parking on Hendricks is a typically clueless traffic engineer "solution".  This will (1) accelerate the traffic through the area thereby harming business and scaring pedestrians and (2) remove scarce parking spots which allow business patrons to stop quickly and drop in for a bite to eat or to buy something.  This is not an improvement.  The only way I would agree with the widening would be if the City would run a streetcar line down the middle of the road.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree with what you have said completely. San Marco is a small area and they need to keep all of the neat businesses that they can there. By reducing the amount of parking and encouraging a faster traffic flow, it will harm San Marco a lot.

I was just in DT earlier today... Has anyone noticed they now have a "coming soon" Rendering Sign up at the San Marco Station...

Anyone know when any ground breaking is suppose to take place...

(By the way, I think that is the best residential project planned for that area. By its nature it has completely integrated itself into the Skyway... now we jsut need more destination along the skyway to build it up even more. Sure it isnt a 30 storie high rise. But 8 (?) is pretty impressive too considering its right there at the Skyway Station)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't think San Marco Station (Kings Avenue Garage project?) has a residential component. I thought it was strickly office and retail. Did something change?

I agree with what you have said completely. San Marco is a small area and they need to keep all of the neat businesses that they can there. By reducing the amount of parking and encouraging a faster traffic flow, it will harm San Marco a lot.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, talk about dumb decisions. Our office lost nearly three or four spots directly in front of our building that we were looking forward to using. Now we are going to have to park down the street at the Kings Ave. Station or any other place we can find when we could have easily parked out front of our building and walked right in. Not such a bad thing, but it's bad news for the female employees as this now poses a security issue. Most of us, including the femail staff arrive early (it's usually dark) and leave late (it's dark again!).

Never trust an engineer (transportation) to do an Urban Planners job.

FYI...Our groundbreaking...there was a little blurb about our site in this Saturday's [06.11.05] Builder's Section with a before/after image.

The 'Urb

• 2 weeks later...

Archived