Minneapolis Development

NorthStar

It's odd that there's hardly any Minneapolis members here. I guess I will try my best

to represent the Twin Cities. Keep in mind that all these projects are located in

downtown.

Recently Opened - - Stories - - Units

Grant Park - - 27 - - 318

DTI_957074.l.jpg

Bookmen Lofts - - 5 - - 57

front001.jpg

301 Clinton - - 4 - - 44

918 Lofts - - 3 - - 30

run2.jpg

Lenox Historic Lofts - - 3 - - 24

Under Construction - - Stories - - Units

The Carlyle - - 39 - - 255

2344944-1.jpg

RiverWest - - 18 - - 416 (condo conversion)

The Lofts at IMS - - 10 - - 97

IMSLofts_1.jpg

720 Lofts - - 8 - - 99

Rendering2.JPG

Bookmen Stacks - - 8 - - 45

DTI_963788.l.jpg

The Groveland - - 7 - - 133

50098.jpg

American Trio Lofts - - 7 - - 90

301 Oak Grove - - 6 - - 59

renderingSMALL.jpg

Tower Lofts - - 6 - - 135

photo01.jpg

Security Warehouse Lofts - - 6 - - 58

security1.jpg

Village at St. Anthony Falls - - 6 - - 63

2306488-1.jpg

2306488-2.jpg

River Walk Condos - - 6 - - 75

riverwalk1.jpg

Six Quebec - - 6 - - 21

hm_rendering_600.jpg

Calumet Lofts - - 5 - - 35

cal.jpg

607 Lofts on Washington - - 5 - - 30

607_washington.jpg

Park Ave. Lofts - - 4 - - 38

Under-Construction---web.jpg

Park Ave. West Lofts - - 4 - - 38

710 Lofts - - 4 - - 60

3320.jpg

212 Lofts - - 4-6 - - 55

212lofts2b.jpg

5th Ave. Lofts - - 4-7 - - 137

5th1.jpg

Construction Soon To Start - - Stories - - Units

Skyscape - - 26 - - 252

DTI_963801.l.jpg

Ivy Hotel + Res. - - 24 - - 88

ivyTowerIllustration.jpg

Fifth Ave. Gateway - - 20 - - 136

Approval Process - - Stories - - Units

520 Condos - - 6 - -45

Pillsbury

Edited by NorthStar

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh wow! Look at all the development!! :)

We used to have a twin Cities subforum, but the Minneapolis forumers vanished. :( For now all Twin Cities threads can go in the Great Lakes and Ohio Valley section. If we get enough demand, we can create a Twin Cities subforum again.

• 2 weeks later...

More condos planned for Stone Arch area

By Sarah McKenzie

Bluff Street Development has another condo project lined up for the East Bank near the Stone Arch Bridge.

The developer has proposed 40 to 45 units of high-end condos for 600 SE Main St., near the Stone Arch Apartments, 601-701 SE Main St.

Bluff Street Development is a partnership between Bloomington-based Lupe Development's Brian Flakne and Steve Minn, a former Minneapolis City Councilmember, and Downtown-based Wall Companies' Fred and John Wall.

The developers have another condo project planned nearby at 520-521 SE 2nd St. The proposal calls for 105 units of housing in two buildings and 9,600 square feet of retail near the Pillsbury "A" Mill and an old rail corridor.

BKV Group, a Downtown-based architecture, interior design and engineering firm, is also consulting on Bluff Street's new condo proposal.

Said Minn, "We think that a creative solution to the side that fronts the steam plant is required. The other three sides of the site all have nice views. The view down the Stone Arch Bridge at Downtown is spectacular."

The site has been a surface parking lot and a trailer storage site for 40 years and was once serviced by a rail line that has since been pulled up, Minn said.

Another massive condo complex is proposed for Main Street Southeast due west of Bluff Street's proposed projects. Northeast Minneapolis-based Schafer Richardson has plans to build 1,050 condos along the riverfront between 3rd and 6th avenues. The units would be spread among the "A" Mill, the Red Tile Elevator and five new towers ranging from eight to 27 stories, and be built between 2006 and 2012.

3 New Residential Towers Planned for Elliot Park's Hinkle-Murphy Block

According to Elliot Park Neighborhood, Inc. (EPNI), three new residential towers, including one that is 27 stories are planned for the Hinkle-Murphy block. These planned towers would rise near the new 27-story Grant Park condo tower, the 26-story Skyscape condo tower (about to start construction) and the 20-story condo tower Fifth Avenue Gateway, (should be starting construction soon).

Edited by NorthStar

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished living in MN for 4 years. I firmly believe that the "mill region" near the river in Minneapolis will be absolutely, hands down, one of the hottest urban neighborhoods in any city in the U.S. by the time they are done with all of those developments and the light rail. I used to drive around there amazed by that place's potential, and I have to admit, the stuff they are planning and building is better than I ever could have hoped for. Rather than blatantly exploiting the area, they are doing it right and planning terrifically.

- Garris

Providence, RI

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sunday's Star Tribune released a map that includes images and locations of all the new towers under construction or about to start construction in downtown Minneapolis. I noticed that some of the details are wrong. For example, the Nicollet will be 53 stories, the location of some of these projects are mixed, and the paper didn't include the Grant Park tower, which is still under construction.

Whatever the case, nine high-rise towers, all over 20 stories, isn't bad.

Stephenapolis over at TwinCityScape scanned the map.

3106towers.jpg

Edited by NorthStar

• 2 weeks later...

Hail from another Mpls member. I finally registered today, but have been lurking for some time. I am eagerly awaiting news on more of the "A" Mill area development. I am interested in getting in early on one of those buildings, because I agree that that is by far the best location for new urban residential development in Minneapolis.

Any advice on how to go about getting in on the pre-sale? It seems like once the sales office is open, 50% are already sold and the prices have skyrocketed.

• 4 weeks later...

Wow....that tower is just AMAZING! When is the groundbreaking going to be?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's expected to break ground in August or early September, but I'm not positive about that. The web site for information and pre-sales should be up and running in a week or two.

The design symbolizes how the building sits between the conservative, corporate office towers to the north (represented by the stone facade) and the cocktail-party atmosphere of the residential towers to the south (represented by the glass and the open-air balconies). The dividing Arc is supposed to represent the "vibe" of Nicollet Mall and the urbane streetlife below.

• 3 weeks later...

It seems Minneapolis is up and coming. Fantastic!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Please explain to me why it so "Fantastic!" that Minneapolis is get all this stacked housing.

I live on the edge of downtown in a small area called Lorning Hill with 2 high-rise and mansions, last year devlopers came to our neighborhood and told us what would be good for us, one devloper start to work with the neighborhood in my words it was just for "show" and the other one blew us off. It is "Fantastic" ONLY if the devlopers is willing to work with the neighborhood. All this housing is not good for Minneapolis, safty and traffic is going to increase and the environment will be the big loser. Thank God that our councilor was able to get a moratorium for no building on the hill for 1 year.

Please explain to me why it so "Fantastic!" that Minneapolis is get all this stacked housing.

I live on the edge of downtown in a small area called Lorning Hill with 2 high-rise and mansions, last year devlopers came to our neighborhood and told us what would be good for us, one devloper start to work with the neighborhood in my words it was just for "show" and the other one blew us off. It is "Fantastic" ONLY if the devlopers is willing to work with the neighborhood. All this housing is not good for Minneapolis, safty and traffic is going to increase and the environment will be the big loser. Thank God that our councilor was able to get a moratorium for no building on the hill for 1 year.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I lived on Oak Grove Street for 4 years, and I do tend to feel that Loring Hill works best with a more "preservationist" approach.

However, I do feel the rest of the condo projects really are "Fantastic!". I think its actually a plus for the environment in that you'll have a higher concentration of people in one place, presumably not driving as much, if you consider that many people already work downtown and can walk. And, once grocery stores and other amenities spring up to support the new population, cars will be needed even less. I'm not convinced about your safety claim either. These are homes being built, not dance clubs drawing rowdy drunkards into town. And at $400k a pop for a condo, I'm guessing the new people moving into downtown aren't going to be unemployed hooligans causing trouble. And finally, more residents means more taxes coming into the city coffers.

Many Minneapolitans seem weird to me, moreso than residents of other large cities. People here want the image of being cosmopolitan and forward thinking, but yet totally reject any change.