Minneapolis Development

NorthStar

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the problem with the developments downtown Minneapolis are twofold

1. They are building the projects too tall on the fringes, while ignoring parking lots and other land in the core which is more suitable for tall buildings (of couse this land is more $$).

2. The developers ignore the history of an area and are not alwas honest. They sell the neighbors and then the plan morphs from 20 stories to 25 to 40. The promised retail dissappears and design tweaking sometimes creates an entirely different project.

As for the person that said "saftey and traffic is going to increase and the environment will be the big loser"...that is plain crazy. People who live downtown own fewer cars and walk more than those that live in the burbs. Environmentally a highly dense urban area is preferrable to suburban sprawl. And, many of the new buildings are using green roofs and other environmental designs. Additionally, when you increase the number of residents living downtown, you will have a more stable population which will increase safety.

When the other person said people in Minneapolis are "Weird" I sorta agree (and i was born here). They want to be a cool, fun, livable city with great parks and transportation, but they don't want any of the change to occur near them.

Reminds me of a meeting I went to when the Boulevard theater was closing in SW minneapolis-- the neighbors were angry at the business owners (who were lossing money) for closing their treasured neighborhood Icon. A check of history shows that just 50 years earlier the same neighborhood fought the development of the theater expressing parking concerns etc. In minneapolis change is often seen as bad --even when it is good.

• 2 weeks later...

All I know is that it's on hold. The location is perfect being it would be located at 5th and Nicollet; right next to the light rail. I would like to see a mixed-use tower rise there. Maybe condos and a hotel or condos and office. Anyway, here are a couple renderings:

624westin__3jp.jpg

12126_1_big.jpg

Edited by NorthStar

I like the Powers Block concepts. I walk past that location to and from work everyday and I feel its a prime location. Currently, it's a dodgy block of Nicollet, but I think its in transition, depending on what retail goes into the Wallgreens and Indian bazaar stores, which are gone/going. And then there's the ultra cool public library a block up from that, with the proposed Eclipse complex neighboring it. Looks like the Nicollet/Hennepin area leading into the Gateway riverfront will finally start looking swanky, like it should!

From today's Star Tribune an article about Heritage Development which unveiled a new rendering for the 1010 Park development in Elliot Park and unveiled the first glimpse of "The Wave" a luxury project on the riverfront near the Carlyle (former Fuji-Ya restaurant)...

http://www.startribune.com/stories/1069/5507491.html

1010 Park

3nealst0715.l.jpg

The Wave

1nealst0716.l.gif

You can see the Carlyle in the right-rear.

Wow, 1010 park looks amazing! Is it already under construction or when will it start?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

1010 has not gotten city approval yet. I would guess the sales office won't open until at least Spring 2006 and then figure another 9-12 months before they reach 50% sold --which is generally when construction start. Although, I hear they will build in 3 or 4 phases so maybe they will only sell one building at a time.

Personally, I think a public interior courtyard between the buildings is a mistake. There are some crime/drug dealing issues with other properties on that block (which will remain) and in the neighborhood in general. I think it would be better to create more ped. traffic on the street.

Here's the status of several projects throughout Minneapolis. I'm certain there's more development going on, but I don't have the time to look into everything. Continue to add information about projects as you find them.

Under Construction

Name - - Buildings - - Stories - - Units

-The Carlyle - - 1 - - 39 - - 255

-Grant Park - - 1 - - 27 - - 318

*Tower is completed, but town homes are still under construction.

-The Falls & the Pinnacle - - 2 - - 19 & 28 - - 257 (conversion)

-RiverWest - - 1 - - 18 - - 410 (conversion)

-1016 Marquette - - 1 - - 10 - - 8

-The Lofts at IMS - - 1 - - 10 - - 97

-720 Lofts - - 1 - - 8 - - 99

-Bookman Stacks - - 1 - - 8 - - 45

-The Sexton - - 2 - - 7 - - 141

-The Groveland - - 1 - - 7 - - 132

-5th Avenue Lofts - - 1 - - 4 & 7 - - 138

Construction Starts Soon

-The Nicollet - - 1 - - 54 - - 341

-Skyscape - - 1 - - 27 - - 252

-Ivy Hotel & Residence - - 3 - - 24 - - 88

-Fifth Avenue Gateway - - 1 - - 20 - - 138

-Phoenix on the River - - 1 - - 5 & 17 - - 70

-Cobalt - - 1 - - 10 - - 96 - - will include a new, Lunds grocery store

-Flour Sack Flats Phase 1 - - 1 - - 6 - - 45

-Flour Sack Flats - - 1 - - 5 - - 58

-Mill Trace Condominiums - - 1 - - 4 - - 50

Has City Approvals

-Pillsbury

Edited by NorthStar

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought you'd all want to know there is a good amount of Twin Cities conversation (especially vs Providence/Boston) in the Providence section, mostly initiated by me. Insight into why the Cities' downtown efforts have been so active and successful would be particularly welcome.

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.ph...&t=14535&st=30#

- Garris

Providence, RI

(formerly 4 years in Rochester, MN)

hey aviankeahi, did you ever get a new (the 4th?) rendering of the Nicollet to add to the skyline like you did on TCS?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually I am working on the updates right now. (I could not spend time on it last week due to another project we're working on in the Bahamas.) The Nicollet is a VERY complex building regarding window mullion patterns, stone joints, balcony patterns and rhythms. Plus, all four facades are different. When the tower increased it's height, it caused the metal "arc" on the sides to change its radius, which then slightly changed every single window and stone pattern.

I hope to have updated images of the exterior in a couple of days. The floor plans are coming along nicely as well. With 40 different units to choose from it takes quite a while to prepare the plans for the sales office.

Actually I am working on the updates right now.  (I could not spend time on it last week due to another project we're working on in the Bahamas.) The Nicollet is a VERY complex building regarding window mullion patterns, stone joints, balcony patterns and rhythms.  Plus, all four facades are different.  When the tower increased it's height, it caused the metal "arc" on the sides to change its radius, which then slightly changed every single window and stone pattern.

I hope to have updated images of the exterior in a couple of days.  The floor plans are coming along nicely as well.  With 40 different units to choose from it takes quite a while to prepare the plans for the sales office.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

40 different floor plans!? :o Wow, that would take a while to prepare. Well thanks for taking the time to do the renderings in the first place. They look awesome! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Landmark Hotel in Minneapolis Joins Starwood's Prestigious Luxury Collection; The IVY Hotel + Residences Will Add a New Luxury Experience to the Vibrant Minneapolis Downtown Market

WHITE PLAINS, N.Y.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Aug. 31, 2005--Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc. (NYSE: HOT) announces a long-term agreement with The IVY Hotel + Residences, a luxury mixed-use development with historic origin, to join Starwood's prestigious Luxury Collection portfolio of hotels and resorts. The IVY Hotel + Residences, a Luxury Collection Hotel, will be built to include three distinct structures - a high-rise residential tower and a mid-rise hotel tower - surrounding the ten-story historic IVY Tower landmark as the centerpiece of the project. Featuring 136 guest rooms and suites and 88 luxury residences, the development will also include a destination restaurant, 4,000 square feet of meeting space, a 17,000-square-foot resort-quality spa and wellness center, and upscale retail space. The development is scheduled for completion in spring 2007.

"The IVY Hotel + Residences marks The Luxury Collection's entry into the Midwestern United States and will be a perfect compliment to our existing Luxury Collection hotels, which are renowned for their distinctive landmark hotels, considered some of the finest in the world," stated Stephen Alden, senior vice president of The Luxury Collection. "This hotel will offer outstanding accommodations, spa services and is located in one of the most dynamic growth markets in the United States."

"Redefining luxury, The IVY Hotel + Residences will offer a new level of hospitality experience to the many executives and visitors to the elite Minneapolis corporate headquarters such as American Express and Target, as well as the Minneapolis Convention Center," according to Paul Wischermann, president of Wischermann Partners, a Minneapolis-based hospitality consulting and hotel management firm involved in several Twin Cities hotel development projects. "The historic significance of the IVY Tower + Residences will lend character, distinction and a timeless quality to the project's positioning and design while marking the rebirth of one of Minneapolis' most important and treasured historic landmarks."

The IVY Hotel + Residences will be situated in the heart of the city's vibrant downtown section, steps away from Orchestra Hall, Nicollet Mall, and will integrate Minneapolis' skyway system and provide convenient climate-controlled access to the Minneapolis Convention Center and all of the city's downtown connected buildings. The historic IVY Tower will provide the signature experience for Minneapolis hotel guests, where the majority of the luxury guest suites will be located. The solid, masculine character of the "little tower" will be balanced with plush furnishings, elegant fabrics and classic art pieces to create a true luxury experience for guests. All guest rooms will feature distinctive bathrooms with separate rain forest showers and oversized soaking bathtubs and 42-inch flat-screen panel televisions.

The IVY Tower will host a first floor restaurant, which expands into the garden level, the hotel lobby and lounge, and a three-story atrium. The second level introduces the spa and wellness facility spanning an entire floor throughout all three towers. The third level features state-of-the-art meeting space, business center and access to the convention center. The residential and hotel components will occupy the fourth level and up.

To sophisticated travelers worldwide, The Luxury Collection delivers the finest hotel experiences through their unparalleled attention to their guests' needs and preferences, their exceptional and distinctive properties and seamless integration of the customs, culture and environment of each property's locale.

Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc. is one of the leading hotel and leisure companies in the world with approximately 750 properties in more than 80 countries and 120,000 employees at its owned and managed properties. With internationally renowned brands, Starwood corporation is a fully integrated owner, operator and franchisor of hotels and resorts including: St. Regis, The Luxury Collection, Sheraton, Westin, Four Points by Sheraton, and W, Hotels and Resorts as well as Starwood Vacation Ownership, Inc., one of the premier developers and operators of high quality vacation interval ownership resorts. For more information, please visit www.starwoodhotels.com

Please contact Starwood's new, toll-free media hotline at (866) 4-STAR-PR (866-478-2777) for photography or additional information.

Just read the The Eclipse on Hennepin just passed the environmental assesment and now is going to try to get city approval.  This will be a great adition to the city sky line, coming in over the river.

you can read the whole article here http://www.skywaynews.net/articles/2005/08...news/news05.txt

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hope so...Shamrocks other projects (212 lofts, Rock Island...) blow when it comes to design. Then again, I heard the new design was drawn after the original was turned down by the city.