Ren Cen + Riverwalk

Allan

On Friday I went with Wolverine and his friend, Paul, to Detroit. Here are the photos from the time we spent at the Renaissance Center and on the newly opened portion of the Riverwalk.

The Ren Cen from Randolph Street

IMG_4909.jpg

A glass walkway on the interior

IMG_4920.jpg

Looking down on GM World

IMG_4923.jpg

My favorite space in the Ren Cen, the Winter Garden

IMG_4927.jpg

IMG_4929.jpg

IMG_4932.jpg

IMG_4964.jpg

IMG_4965.jpg

IMG_4968.jpg

Looking back towards the Winter Garden from the Riverwalk

IMG_4938.jpg

IMG_4945.jpg

Windsor from the Riverfront

IMG_4952.jpg

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That glass walkway is pretty cool. It was added as part of GM's renovations to the complex. It is known as the circulation ring, and connects all of the towers in the complex together. Before it was built, the complex was even more difficult to navigate than it is today! We still managed to get pretty confused by the layout. There is also a lot of wasted space, and some very strange spaces in the complex. Architecturally, the complex is a disaster, although GM's renovations have made it bareable. The renovations at the complex are wrapping up right now, and the new entrance to the building should be open within a few weeks. Right now the only way in is through the Millender Center skybridge over Jefferson Avenue and through the Winter Garden on Atwater Street, down by the Riverwalk.

I've been going to the RenCen since it was first opened in the 70's. I have always managed to get lost in there, even today I still get lost. My new life saver is the Winter Garden, as long as I know where that is, I can always find my way back to the Milander Center walkway.

Seriously, GM has done a great job with the RenCen. It has always looked great from the distance/skyline. But now it is actually looking really nice up close. Can't wait to walk in the front doors off Jefferson Ave!!! Only a few more weeks!

- BR

Archived