Stupid me- I should have included my list:

//Atlanta\\

Savannah

Macon

Albany

Valdosta

Dublin

Tifton

Ty Ty (my second favorite city in all of America)

Americus

Waycross

Pooler

Sylvester

Fitzgerald

McRae

Warwick (Lake Blackshear)

Midway

Sunbury

Ocilla

Hahira (got list here, yeah- pronounced "hay-hyra" for all you uneducated out there ;) )

Georgia is my favorite state to visit.

I've been to:

Rome

Clarkesville (I wouldn't mind living in Clarkesville)

Gainesville

Demorest

Cleveland

*Athens (I go to school at UGA) :thumbsup:

Helen

Valdosta

Macon

Albany

Columbus (very cool little city)

Savannah (need to go back and spend more time there)

I've got pictures too!

i3tuntitled1ruralgeo.jpg

I've seen most of Atlanta's metro, from Kennesaw Mountain to the historic Gwinnett County Courthouse and from all angles.

The one Georgia city I most want to visit, but haven't been to, is Matt, GA. It's on Matt Highway off 400 in northeast Atlanta metro. I want to take my picture infront of the welcome sign to use on profile pages. I also want a photo of the sign for an avatar. :D

• 2 weeks later...

I've been through Dublin--"Home of the SHO NUFF", along with a bunch of other small towns along the way to McRae. Wow, what a trip that was! The difference between Atlanta and the rest of Georgia is staggering. :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Haha, I think McRae is the town with a nice center square, with a very visable confederate memorial, with a 3rd Flag of the confederacy and everything. :) Its either that or Louisville. I can't recall.

• 2 weeks later...

If you live in upstate SC, you've got to visit the northeast of Georgia. One of my favorite getaways is the small town of Helen, a tourist attraction where all of the buildings have been given an alpine look. The place is especially bustling with pedestrian traffic on holidays. There are many things for the whole family to do there in the warmer times of year. :thumbsup:

Other places I've been to and enjoyed were;

Taccoa

Commerce

Hartwell - BEST stromboli I've ever had was here.

Brunswick

Augusta

Douglasville - It's nice to have family so close to Six Flags! :D

Lawrenceville - The town was nice, but the highway signs were rediculously confusing!

I really want to visit Savannah sometime, since I've read a bit about it.

Been to Atlanta far more times than I can remember (have family there).

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I collect county courthouses, and in so doing I've stopped in about 100 of the 161 courthouse towns in Georgia, and I've set foot in all but a dozen of the counties. Dooly County (that's Vienna, on I-75) has I think the nicest courthouse in the state.

Atlanta is... well, Atlanta. But I have always had a soft spot for Swainsboro, and I really rather liked Blakely, Thomasville, and Decatur as well. Americus seemed nice, too, but then there are all the old stories about Americus. However, my very favorite place in the whole state is Adel, in Cook County. The town of 5,000 has just seen a nice three-story glass "tower" put in to house the Lenox State Bank corporate offices. It's a good trend.

Among the most worthwhile visits would be:

Savannah

Macon

Columbus

Albany

Brunswick

Augusta

Milledgeville

Thomasville

Newnan

Rome

Cartersville

Toccoa

Lookout Mountain

Athens

Gainesville

St Marys

Waycross

Valdosta

Dahlonega

And... Washington - where my wife & I married over 5 years ago.

I collect county courthouses, and in so doing I've stopped in about 100 of the 161 courthouse towns in Georgia, and I've set foot in all but a dozen of the counties.  Dooly County (that's Vienna, on I-75) has I think the nicest courthouse in the state.

Atlanta is... well, Atlanta.  But I have always had a soft spot for Swainsboro, and I really rather liked Blakely, Thomasville, and Decatur as well.  Americus seemed nice, too, but then there are all the old stories about Americus.  However, my very favorite place in the whole state is Adel, in Cook County.  The town of 5,000 has just seen a nice three-story glass "tower" put in to house the Lenox State Bank corporate offices.  It's a good trend.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I rather enjoyed Americus. It has such an interetsing downtown, and "skyline" if you go to the right place. What are some of the stories about it?

I enjoy the courthouse towns of GA as well. I would be interested in seeing some photos (I'm assuming by "colect county courthouses" you mean photos of them ;) ).

There are several nice ones that I have seen, but I an't recall what they are.

I have been through Adel before... believe it or not I got lost in Hahira :)

Well, here's a picture of the courthouse in Dooly County for you. Vienna's not much of a town, really, but it has this magnificent structure, by William H. Parkins.

doolyga1.jpg

And, just an hour's drive down the highway in Valdosta is this Frank Milburn beauty, often considered the most beautiful in the state (I do prefer Dooly, though).

lowndesga2.jpg

I have many, many others... come to one of my parties sometime and I'll quite happily bore you to death with them...

Archived