Where have you been in GA?

Spartan

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Georgia's cities are impressive. I lived in Savannah for a while, and I'd rate it as the best place to live in the country.

Augusta, Macon, Milledgeville, Waycross -- I could go on and on. There are nice downtowns all over the state. Like everywhere else, a lot of them need some love, but the state's cities have good bones.

One can tell that Georgia's cities had excellent, civic-minded leadership in their days of early development.

• 2 months later...

A resident of GA here, but I spend most of my time in the ATL Metro, specifically Douglasville.

I have been to (and visited, not just passed through):

Athens

Augusta

Brunswick & the GA Golden Isles (St. Simon's & Jekyll)

Savannah and area

Valdosta

Macon

Milledgeville

Warner Robins

Roswell

Cartersville

Woodstock

I collect county courthouses, and in so doing I've stopped in about 100 of the 161 courthouse towns in Georgia, and I've set foot in all but a dozen of the counties.  Dooly County (that's Vienna, on I-75) has I think the nicest courthouse in the state.

Atlanta is... well, Atlanta.  But I have always had a soft spot for Swainsboro, and I really rather liked Blakely, Thomasville, and Decatur as well.  Americus seemed nice, too, but then there are all the old stories about Americus.  However, my very favorite place in the whole state is Adel, in Cook County.  The town of 5,000 has just seen a nice three-story glass "tower" put in to house the Lenox State Bank corporate offices.  It's a good trend.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Given your interest, you probably know this site. Pretty interesting to look at all the old courthouses.

http://www.cviog.uga.edu/Projects/gainfo/courthouses/

• 1 month later...

I've been all the way from Lookout Mountain to the banks of the St. Marys and from Rabun Bald to Lake Seminole.

Specific towns of note:

Atlanta

Augusta

Ringgold

Dalton

Calhoun

McRae, Helena

St. Marys

Moultrie

Thomasville

Sparks, Adel

Valdosta