Columbia's future?

The_sandlapper

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with emerging.me. I feel like I'm creative but under-nourished in Cola town. And I live by data and statistics. For Columbia to become like Austin we need more music venues. perhaps musically inclined individuals is that intangible asset that causes Austin to thrive. I keep thinking Columbia is always compared to Austin because that's where City Council wants to visit..to compare cities.

• 2 weeks later...

Well they pushed a lot of dirt around down at CanalSide. For a while it looked impressive. I read that Charrette thing and thought of the dpz.com site you guys pointed out.

DMH is a really big site and could be a hit if done right. I'm sure many people would be willing to buy there to avoid a commute. Elmwood, Earlwood, and Cotton town all have so much renewal going on. DMH is in the right area to expand that. They say they will have a mix of housing costs there. And the state budget does need that city cash.

They DO need a decent grocery store around there. I know the city wants a new grocery around Read & Harden St.

Man, it's so frustrating watching these places sit undeveloped! I hope DMH fairs better than CanalSide has thus far. I don't think we'd consider leaving Irmo/Chapin area for DMH, but CanalSide is nearly a "sure thing" for us if it ever gets developed (and there's something in our price range).

My office is a hundred yards from Publix..but I never go there on the way home at night because it's so small and it is ALWAYS packed at night. In the mornings and Saturday's not so bad. I may rethink my avoidance strategy since I always getting panhandled at the Harden Food Lion at night.

I still think the city has too many irons in the fire development-wise. It seems like nothing gets done because each development is such a big undertaking.

What they need to get is a drug store downtown. I have go to Cayce or Rosewood to get my medical supplies. I don't go to Harden St becuase I don't like being harrassed for money every time I want something. If there was a drug store near Publix I would most definately use that. I've only had one homeless person come to me there, as opposed to everytime but one at the Eckerds on Harden.

I think another grocery store would be beneficial to the area, particularly if it is over by the DMH. I suspect that once plans are decided upon for the DMH site, that a grocery store might come around. In such an urban setting, I think that a grocery store will have to be alot closer than Publix.

Interesting addition to the skyline, no doubt... :)

Developer also plans condos near USC campus

Posted Sunday, January 2, 2005 - 1:05 am

CLEMSON BUREAU

[email protected]

A sports-themed Gameday luxury condominium complex is planned in Columbia in walking distance of the University of South Carolina campus, said Gary Spillers, president and chief executive officer of Gameday Centers Atlantic LLC.

The complex will have about 120 to 150 luxury condominium units and, like the Gameday Center planned in Clemson, also will include some shops and restaurants, Spillers said.

Unlike Clemson, the fully furnished units in this project won't sport much orange

There are 3 or 4 Publix stores in the Columbia area. As far as I know there are none in the Rock Hill/Charlotte area, but there are a number of them in Greenville and Spartanburg. I think they go as far west as Alabama and I've seen some in Nashville, TN.

Actually, there are 9 Publix in the Columbia area and I don't believe they really go much further North than here. I know there aren't any in North Carolina.

Archived