'Mystery Project'

joeDowntown

Grand Action (the folks behind DeVos Place and Van Andel Arena) had announced their "next project" would be announced in May. Then MSU started talks of moving one of their medical schools to Grand Rapids and an anonymous donor pledged to renovate Civic, so they are very busy philanthropists. Has anyone heard where this mystery project may land (literally, the footprint)? I don't care where it ends up as long Frank Gehry is the architect ;) (my own personal wish). Read On:

In addition to the Civic Theatre, Michigan State University medical school and a new performing arts center, Grand Action has a fourth, as yet unannounced project remaining on the drawing board:

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The building in my avatar is a mugshot from the crime of urban renewal. It is the Old City Hall Building Building in Grand Rapids. Built By Elijah Myers (same architect as the capital) it was torn down for "progress" in the 1960's. What replaced it? A parking lot and a space capsule. In 2000 they replaced the parking lot with; you guessed it, the Kent County Courthouse (pretty much City Hall). Here is a better picture.

old_city_hall.jpg

• 9 months later...

Grand Action (the folks behind DeVos Place and Van Andel Arena) had announced their "next project" would be announced in May. Then MSU started talks of moving one of their medical schools to Grand Rapids and an anonymous donor pledged to renovate Civic, so they are very busy philanthropists. Has anyone heard where this mystery project may land (literally, the footprint)? I don't care where it ends up as long Frank Gehry is the architect ;) (my own personal wish). Read On:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Now that the Civic project is underway, do you think we will hear more about this mystery project any time soon? Was there speculation that it was either another performing arts center or a large outdoor music venue?

Now that the Civic project is underway, do you think we will hear more about this mystery project any time soon?  Was there speculation that it was either another performing arts center or a large outdoor music venue?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My guess is that it will be a combination of both. These are 2 projects that Grand Action has gone public with as being critical for downtown. Add to that DeVos/VanAndel own the riverfront property on the SW corner of Fulton and Monroe Ave. And as we all know, the Alticor folks have been the biggest benifactors of Grand Action.

This is just pure speculation on my part, but it would make the most sense for this mystery project.

So does this mystery project have to be related to the perfroming arts, could we be seeing something totally diff. comming?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

since its the Grand Action Committee It would make sense to be something related to the performing arts. Although theres nothing that says it wont be something else.

But what else coulkd it be?

it wouldn't surprise me if this mystery project were related to some kind of permanent outdoor summer home/performance shell/park for the grand rapids symphony, a small-scale Tanglewood type thing...

symphony economics, as well as attracting top-flight players, dictates the contract offer as many actual performance gigs as possible, and the situation at cannonsburg has always been very limited, temporary, and sometimes downright muddy, lol...

i recall some year or two ago there was an article in the press floating a new northside location somewhere off us31 about 15 minutes to the north??? As I recall it would be open to other summer performance venues also--I know some locals drive all the way to Detroit for some summer outdoor popular music, rock, blues concerts, lol...

but this is just pure speculation, not insider info of any kind...

:)

I really don't think Grand Action will involve itself in projects outside of GR proper. So I bet that is not the project.

As I may have said before, I heard it was a performing arts center to become the permanent home of the Symphony and Opera. The DeVos Hall could be opened up for more events.

Joe

It has also been published in the press that Grand Action is considering a larger (10,000+) outdoor concert venue for Millenium Park. I was always under the assumption that this was the next project. The idea is to cut off the competition before it gets started as there were two large outdoor venues proposed for the outskirts of the area not too long ago. If I recall one is still alive, the other not so healthy. Whatever the case, Grand Action is concerned that a venue outside of the city will harm the arena.

The building in my avatar is a mugshot from the crime of urban renewal. It is the Old City Hall Building Building in Grand Rapids. Built By Elijah Myers (same architect as the capital) it was torn down for "progress" in the 1960's. What replaced it? A parking lot and a space capsule. In 2000 they replaced the parking lot with; you guessed it, the Kent County Courthouse (pretty much City Hall). Here is a better picture.

What do you mean the Kent County courthouse is pretty much City Hall? Does the city have a lot of offices in there?

old_city_hall.jpg

I can't resist adding a historical aside here...

The razing of this beautiful old building incensed increasing number of citizens and activists, who subsequently worked countless hours in changing both federal and state laws, the former to gut the blind federal urban renewal statutes so there would now be proper review of issues related to historic or artistic (architectural) significance, the latter to create state legislation enabling communities to create local and regional preservation ordinances. The opening sections of Tom Logan's "Almost Lost", the book documenting the establishment of the Heritage Hill Historic District, describe some of this hard and dedicated work. Despite the sadness of losing this great building, its unfortunate demolition was the straw that broke the camel's back, the firebrand that made all subsequent gains and efforts at preserving our historic and architectural heritage possible. This sad event was the rallying cry for Grand Rapids' historic, preservationist, and architectural awakening--after this travesty Grand Rapids citizens were finally willing to make personal cause of fighting against the mindless urban rape of the sixties...

I can't resist adding a historical aside here...

The razing of this beautiful old building incensed increasing number of citizens and activists, who subsequently worked countless hours in changing both federal and state laws, the former to gut the blind federal urban renewal statutes so there would now be proper review of issues related to historic or artistic (architectural) significance, the latter to create state legislation enabling communities to create local and regional preservation ordinances. The opening sections of Tom Logan's "Almost Lost", the book documenting the establishment of the Heritage Hill Historic District, describe some of this hard and dedicated work. Despite the sadness of losing this great building, its unfortunate demolition was the straw that broke the camel's back, the firebrand that made all subsequent gains and efforts at preserving our historic and architectural heritage possible. This sad event was the rallying cry for Grand Rapids' historic, preservationist, and architectural awakening--after this travesty Grand Rapids citizens were finally willing to make personal cause of fighting against the mindless urban rape of the sixties...

Did I say welcome, publius?! For just starting out, you are making a hell of a contribution :)

Did I say welcome, publius?! For just starting out, you are making a hell of a contribution :)

thanks--am enjoying the many things I'm learning about downtown development and growth...

here's another footnote--

the young lady is mary stiles, the year is 1969, she actually sat on top of the wrecking ball and they began to raise it with her on it...

(a classic Arthur Dent gesture for Doug Adams fans, lol)

(click to enlarge)

th_mstiles4.jpg

Archived