West Columbia Village

emerging.me

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

107294160282.gif

Though I should throw this image in for reference. Every time I drive by this piece of property I think how much of a waste it is. It would be a gret place for rooftop dining on a 3 sotrey building. West Cola is wise not to spend too much money on high rises- though I think that if done properly it would be a great place to sell them. There has to be an excellent skyline view from that one condo tower that is over there right off of Sunset.

Anyway, good news for W Cola's revitalization!

On a similar note, somone is building what I understand to be 88 homes off of Alexander- where they have all of that land cleared off by the river. They are going to ahve to be apartents or townhomes, because I can't see how they woudl fit 88 homes on there.

Seem like a while ago there was some info on the Triangle City revitalization? The last time I was over there they were working on resurfacing some of the roads north of Charleston Highway.

There is also info about the 15 storey SouthHampton buliding in Cayce here: http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/bu/?id=170356

They also have a good image there, but emporis is kind of anal about sharing their photos.

I've heard several times that the condo is not full up. However, the 88 home site is almost completely sold. There oughta be a law limiting changes to waterfront vistas. No politicians should be allowed. The condo blocks the west bank, and EdVenture the east. Does anyone remember the city entrance before EdVenture. And now the strip mined water front south of New Orleans. Is South Hampton north or south of Knox Abbott?

In regards to the city buying parcels..did they buy Vista on the West too? What about Sears Exterminating? That whole area has interesting demographics. A heavy hispanic concentration. And right behind save-more tire there is a concentration of pacific islanders.

It's the same with triangle city..many hispanics in the area. That entire area is some kind of metaphor of old-south & new-hispanic. Run down 12th street from Knox Abott to 12 or down #1. It's all car & motorcycle sales and repair, burger joints , fried chicken and the hispanic markets. My cholesterol rises as I drive down the street. Or maybe it's the fries I just ate.

I've heard several times that the condo is not full up. However, the 88 home site is almost completely sold.  There oughta be a law limiting  changes to waterfront vistas. No politicians should be allowed.  The condo blocks the west bank, and EdVenture the east. Does anyone remember the city entrance before EdVenture. And now the strip mined water front south of New Orleans. Is South Hampton north or south of Knox Abbott?

In regards to the city buying parcels..did they buy Vista on the West too? What about Sears Exterminating?  That whole area has interesting demographics. A heavy hispanic concentration. And right behind save-more tire there is a concentration of pacific islanders.

It's the same with triangle city..many hispanics in the area.  That entire area is some kind of metaphor of old-south & new-hispanic. Run down 12th street from Knox Abott to 12 or down #1. It's all car & motorcycle sales and repair, burger joints , fried chicken and the hispanic markets.  My cholesterol rises as I drive down the street. Or maybe it's the fries I just ate.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It is north of Knox Abbot either right there at the river or at the lot accross from monterreys at Alexander, I'm not sure which. I think its the one accross from monterreys because they razed that lot (well, they took out the parking lot) a couple years ago and it was about that time that skyscrpers.com (now its emporis) put that info up on its site.

I always ride by and see that pawn sign and look around for the store..150 feet across the field. Today I finally figured out the car mart that used to be there must have been associated with the pawn shop.

Glad to see the city recognize the importance of that corner. It's time for West Columbia to have their own Vista.

Yeah, that's true. I kind of hope the area continues to go in the sort of bohemian direction that it's headed now. I think it's important for a "creative city" to have an area like this. I think it'd be cool if people moved into the old mill village there and restored the houses -- making them kinda funky. We don't really have any "funky" neighborhoods in Columbia.

I think parts of Olympia are becoming like that. There's still a lot of old south in the W. Cola mill village. I see a lot of rebel flags there. I had thought that USC students lived in many of the houses. But that is anecdotal..one of the local religous associations had me look in those neighborhoods last year. They were very much aware of the ethnic populations around there.

Interesting. You're right... pockets of Olympia are a little like that. I know there are incentives available to anyone who wants to move into those areas and fix up a home. There are definitely some "old south" pockets in Olympia too -- my friend, when I tell him about how cool I think that area will be in 10 years, says all the "Columbia rednecks" live there. :)

Talk about an oxymoron West Columbia and bohemian would not have even been thought of years ago my how times are changing!

It's good to see so much going on in the central part of the Columbia area. I wonder what triggered the whole, "by the way we have three rivers running through the area lets take advantage of this and promote it", thing anyway?

Olympia is a family-oriented neighborhood with deep roots to so many in that area. I note that each year Jaco's stick ball party is a huge party full of the local Olympians and those who've migrated out. When the school burned the area turned out en masse before the school board asking them to rebuild their childhood school. And rebuild to neighborhood specifications. But I'd thought as older people died out in the community their children was renting out more to USC students. A perspective I had that may not be accurate. I know many students live between the old mills and the engineering school.

I was not aware of incentives..but I guess they are all over. Recently I was researching household mortgage records for a local firm..they told me in some parts of the state the government will pay for up to 25 percent of the household cost. Allendale County comes to mind.

I was not aware of incentives..but I guess they are all over. Recently I was researching household mortgage records for a local firm..they told me in some parts of the state the government will pay for up to 25 percent of the household cost. Allendale County comes to mind.

Yeah... this was per a conversation I had with Kit Smith a while back -- I don't remember the details. It was pretty substantial, I think. She was talking specifically about the Olympia area and that mill village there in West Columbia.

Yeah, that's true. I kind of hope the area continues to go in the sort of bohemian direction that it's headed now. I think it's important for a "creative city" to have an area like this. I think it'd be cool if people moved into the old mill village there and restored the houses -- making them kinda funky. We don't really have any "funky" neighborhoods in Columbia.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I read somewhere that the Avenues neiughborhood in W Cola is seeing a revival. Maybe the proximity to that can influence other areas?

Olympia definately ha the potential to be a really cool place. Once the two mill are rennovated it shoudl add lot of life to the area. I also thought that it was mostly rented out by college students. I guess I was wrong too.

I read somewhere that the Avenues neiughborhood in W Cola is seeing a revival. Maybe the proximity to that can influence other areas?

Olympia definately ha the potential to be a really cool place. Once the two mill are rennovated it shoudl add lot of life to the area. I also thought that it was mostly rented out by college students. I guess I was wrong too.

Yeah, the Aves are cool again -- though there have always been some nice little pockets where people have kept up the neighborhood. It's hot with the bohemian crowd, I believe, but also with some young professionals that can't afford Shandon/Melrose type homes.

I'm a huge Olympia fan. I keep thinking maybe I'll go in and buy one of those old shotgun houses and transform it into a cool modern home, but the 'hood isn't quite far enough along the revitalization track for my wife to be convinced. Unfortunately, when it is we might be priced out of the area. :)

So what'd you think of Kit? What about Town & Country? Maybe this belongs in a new thread.

I remember moving into the avenues in the early 80s. We moved in at 2am, three bikes and four cars. We learned later that many of the neighbors woke up & called each other to ask if they saw what was moving in. Once a month we clean house where we'd move all the furniture out in the front yard and then forget about cleaning so we'd sit on the couch in the front yard and drink beer. Back then the avenues were mostly elderly and we really stood out. Eventually we won over most of the neighborhood. But those first few months they HATED usc students. We were bohemian when bohemian wasnt cool!

I think Spartan&emerging.me are right. Many younger families and a fair amount of students.

So what'd you think of Kit? What about Town & Country? Maybe this belongs in a new thread.
Hmm. I'm more moderate than her -- I don't exactly know what her views are on many issues, but I know she's seen as pretty liberal. Regardless of that, I'm a fan of her personally. I think Town & Country is needed, and I support it, but I'm not sure if there isn't a more libertarian-ish way to do it. This could make an interesting thread topic.

I remember moving into the avenues in the early 80s. We moved in at 2am, three bikes and four cars. We learned later that many of the neighbors woke up & called each other to ask if they saw what was moving in. Once a month we clean house where we'd move all the furniture out in the front yard and then forget about cleaning so we'd sit on the couch in the front yard and drink beer. Back then the avenues were mostly elderly and we really stood out. Eventually we won over most of the neighborhood. But those first few months they HATED usc students. We were bohemian when bohemian wasnt cool!

NICE! :)

T & C is a tough one. The county needs to control growth to prevent sprawl. Impact fees for developers should be mandatory for new developments. But for the land-rich, pocket-poor people down in southern Richland limiting that property should be considered a taking of the family fortune. If the only thing of value to those people is the land held by the family for a hundred years and suddenly that value is removed..it's stealing from the poor. But done for a legitimate government reason....to protect the rest of the taxpayers. A tough problem.

Archived