Hampton Roads

vdogg

Since I looked all over this site for a Hampton Roads forum and couldn't find one I've decide to start one here. There is a lot of major developments going on in this area and it is really overlooked. Bear with me though, cause it's a lot to post.

This thread is now closed. For a complete and updated listing of Hampton Roads projects please go here--->Hampton Roads Projects Listing]

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v428/guy...92sXujUm_ph.jpg

A rendering after completion.

body_retail_02_big.jpg

On the corner of Main and Central Park Avenue is The California Pizza kitchen.

127248418jhsolh_ph.jpg

127251506QeeSpp_ph.jpg

This building will feature an open plaza where people can hang out, a place for the people. Ruth Chris's, Bravo, Ann Taylor Loft and The Funny Bone Comedy club will be located inside this building.

DSC01480.jpg

Courtesy of Spark317 from ssp.

Recap of Norfolk projects. These are in Norfolk only - does not include projects in the other cities of Hampton Roads.

ce-DTNorfolkprojects.jpg

A: Brambleton and Bute Apartments - two 7-story apartment buildings, 248 total units, rent $1,000 to $2,000/month

B: 14-story apartment building; site work underway

C: Granby Towers - one 25-story and one 15-story buildings with 400 total condos selling from $250,000 to $400,000. Includes parking and 17,000-square-feet of retail. Construction to begin Fall 2005 with the 25-story tower completed by summer 2007.

40-granbytowers.jpg

D: Federal Courthouse Expansion

E: 388 Boush Street - 6-story building with 100 condos and parking garage; currently under construction

6f-boushcondosbig.jpg

F: The Tazewell Lots - 12-story building with first-floor offices, an urban market, and 77 condos selling from $160,000 to $450,000.

G: Tidewater Community College Administration Building - 14-story building to house consolidated and relocated administrative functions into a single location

H: St. Paul's Place - 90-unit condos, currently under construction

I: Courts Building - 14- or 15-stories; proposed

J: Office Tower - 35- to 40-stories; proposed

K: Trader Tower - 20-story headquarters of Trader Publishing (trader.com)

f8-TraderTower3.jpg

L: Hilton Hotel - 25-stories; to be built by Robert Johnson

M: Norfolk Conference Center - 60,000-square-feet; to be built in conjunction with the Hilton Hotel

N: Cruise Ship Terminal - 80,000-square-feet, $41 million project with construction to begin in December 2004 or January 2005; opens Fall 2006

13-CruiseShipTermina.jpg

Other Norfolk projects not shown on aerial photo:

Arena

Norfolk City Council will hold a three-day retreat in February 2005 to discuss building a new downtown arena adjacent to Harbor Park stadium

Atlantic City Redevelopment

Multi-million dollar housing, commercial, and retail project. Harbor's Edge project (see below) is part of the project.

45-fortnorfolkatlant.jpg

Bristol at Ghent

Several 5-story buildings with 268 apartments and 84 condos, includes a 5-story parking garage; $29 million project

Church Street Corridor

Revitalization of African-American centric community adjacent to downtown Norfolk. Multi-million and multi-year project. Includes renovation and re-opening of the Crispus Attucks Cultural Center (theater) in October 2004.

bb-ChurchStreetCorri.jpg

d4-ChruchStreetAttuc.jpg

Harbor's Edge

17-story retirement community in the Atlantic City project; $107 million; site work began May 2004 with an opening planned for 2006

88-harborsedge.jpg

Light Rail

$199 million starter line in planning stages; concept and initial plan approved by Federal Transit Administration

Maglev Train

The nation's first maglev train in development at Old Dominion University. Infrastructure (tracks, stations, and cars) in constructed and in place.

8d-maglevarrivalb.jpg

New City Hall

Initial discussion for a new high-rise city hall building (perhaps 20- to 25-stories)

RISE Center (Research and Innovation to Support Empowerment) Technology Park

$60 million center at Norfolk State University to serve as an intergenerational, multipurpose education, and research facility to enable and promote applied technology development, business incubation, and economic development activities

68-NSURISECenter.jpg

University Village

$75 million housing and retail center at Old Dominion University.

88-ODUVillage.jpg

Completed rendering facing south down Central Park Ave.

apartment.jpg

Walking up from the south end then up Town Center Drive you can see the construction on the new apartment building, The Cosmopolitan. The 14 storey building will feature 341 apartments with finishes and amenities not found in the area.

DSC01482.jpg

DSC01475.jpg

DSC01478.jpg

A view from the 9th storey of the parking garage of future office development, the original parking for One Columbus Center. They should go ahead and build. Let's hear it for tearing up the blacktop! Sorry a little burry. :uhh:

DSC01512.jpg

The Cosmopolitan from up high.. comin right along :yes:

DSC01511.jpg

Galyans is in the background.

• 2 weeks later...

]mainbuildingbig.jpg

The property at 109 E. Main Street, built in the late 1800s, was the first multi-level office structure in downtown Norfolk, according to Harbor Group.

By BATTINTO BATTS, The Virginian-Pilot

January 6, 2005

NORFOLK If you had breakfast or lunch recently with Peter Decker Jr., two things were likely to happen.

You would eat at his sons restaurant, Egg Diner. And on the way there or back, Decker would take you inside the bank building at 109 E. Main St. to admire its architecture.

I ve always been a fan of Italian Renaissance, and this is a classic Italian Renaissance building, he said.

Decker will soon be able to gush at the structures beauty while working at his law practice. He and his wife, Bess, have a contract for the right to buy the century-old building from Harbor Group International. The deal is expected to close at the end of this month.

The $5.7 million deal will be the latest in a string of transactions that clear the way for a new hotel and conference center downtown. That development, in the works for months, is expected to be announced soon.

Harbor Group agreed to buy the building from BB&T last year when the bank signed a lease to become the anchor tenant at 500 E. Main. The firm has since sought to pass that potential ownership on to another buyer. The building does not fit into Harbor Groups portfolio of holdings, officials said.

It is an excellent building, but it is not something we typically would focus on, said Jordan Sloan, chairman and CEO of Harbor Group.

The company owns several large office buildings throughout the country, including 500 E. Main and Dominion Tower in Norfolk.

While Harbor Group was looking for a buyer for the BB&T building at 109 E. Main, Decker was searching for a new headquarters for his law practice, Decker, Cardon, Thomas, Weintraub and Neskis, PC.

The city of Norfolk paid $2.6 million for the building that houses Deckers firm at 201 E. Plume St. last summer . The acquisition makes way for the construction of a luxury Hilton Hotel, a conference center and an 800-space parking garage. Billionaire Robert Johnson, owner of the Charlotte Bobcats NBA franchise, will develop the hotel.

Deckers law practice will occupy the second and third floors of 109 E. Main. At least one more tenant, likely a financial institution, is expected to occupy the building.

The property, built in the late 1800s, was the first multi-level office structure in downtown Norfolk, according to Harbor Group.

Bess and I are very excited to own a truly great part of our citys history,Decker said. It is a building that I have admired.

Towncenter hotel condominium tower has been redesigned and increased to 35 stories in height.

Below is a link to the developers briefing to city council last week (real player streaming video). They show a rendering of the new builing (which btw looks much better IMO) and the developer says explicitly that the trend is for things to get bigger (meaning this may not be the final height). Video is approx. 9 minutes long.

http://www.vbgov.com/e-gov/estream/ccarchi...ildate=1/4/2005

When u get to the page click the pull down menu above the view council index button. Scroll down to "Resolution re Phase III Towncenter" Once you have that selected click on "View council index" and the 9 minute briefing will play.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I hope Norfolk also builds the arena that they are discussing in the city meetings. I wonder what else they are building. I heard they are tearing down the greyhound station to build something. Hey vdog where are you getting your info at?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Various news sources and a few developers i know (who clue me into websites or online information whenever possible), and good old google.

Comprehensive plan for cityview development in Va. Beach ( a block south of towncenter)

http://www.vbgov.com/dept/planning/vgn_fil...view_CRZCUP.pdf

Below are some highlights for those who don't want to go to the site.

On page three they talk of plans for no less than 4 mixed use buildings to include offices, apartments and a hotel, one of which will be atop a parking garage. Page 11 contains an overhead view of the zones. pages 14-17 are arial (sp?) views on the region being considered. Pages 18-20 show renderings of the residential buildings only (sorry, no mixed use tower renderings yet). I am currently in the process of getting links to plans for the HQ property so stand by. It's really starting to look like the "whole" pembroke area is going to be transformed into one very large downtown.

Comprehensive plan for cityview development in Va. Beach ( a block south of towncenter)

http://www.vbgov.com/dept/planning/vgn_fil...view_CRZCUP.pdf

Below are some highlights for those who don't want to go to the site.

On page three they talk of plans for no less than 4 mixed use buildings to include offices, apartments and a hotel, one of which will be atop a parking garage. Page 11 contains an overhead view of the zones. pages 14-17 are arial (sp?) views on the region being considered. Pages 18-20 show renderings of the residential buildings only (sorry, no mixed use tower renderings yet). I am currently in the process of getting links to plans for the HQ property so stand by. It's really starting to look like the "whole" pembroke area is going to be transformed into one very large downtown.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I appreciate the info, let me know what else you find out about downtown norfolk, and especially about the possibility of a arena next to harbor park. Is it true Norfok is planning on building a 40 story high rise?

I appreciate the info, let me know what else you find out about downtown norfolk, and especially about the possibility of a arena next to harbor park. Is it true Norfok is planning on building a 40 story high rise?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So far just rumors, but well established rumors. All quarters seem to be hinting at this possibility but i have yet to find definitive proof or hear exactly who would be developing such a structure. The only thing that seems to be agreed upon is that if it is developed, it will go on the parking lot across from MacArthur center where they currently park all the police vehicles.

So far just rumors, but well established rumors. All quarters seem to be hinting at this possibility but i have yet to find definitive proof or hear exactly who would be developing such a structure. The only thing that seems to be agreed upon is that if it is developed, it will go on the parking lot across from MacArthur center where they currently park all the police vehicles.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That would be great for the skyline, I think they should clear out downtown plaza and start building there. What city do you live vdogg?

Archived