Hampton Roads

vdogg

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On those granby towers are they sitting on top of the 6 story garage and then 25 story condos or is the parking garage part of the 25 stories

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is open to debate, nobody knows (not even the people who work at marathon development, whom we've asked). The developers website says they are on top of the garages however the developer himself says that the final height has not been decided upon yet.

I wonder if they will actually build that 40 story building and vdogg have you heard anything on the arena the city was talking about building

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In one of the articles posted in this forum a norfolk official is quoted as saying "We already have developments coming down the pike that are significantly taller than anything we have downtown now, we'll have to decide how tall we want to be". I believe this is a vague reference to that tower as well as other projects (that we haven't heard of yet) that r probably being developed for the downtown plaza site that the city has purchased. Yes, i absolutely believe it will be built but, as with all projects of this magnitude, its going to take time to come together.

I have heard nothing of an arena project and was not even aware that one exist. What is this project about?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They were talking about building one next to Harbor Park. It was suppose to be discussed at the city council meeting in beginning of Feb.

The 2010 Plan is bringing city officials and private developers together to craft an exciting and exceptionally well-orchestrated plan for the future of downtown Norfolk. In the summer of 2003, three exciting residential projects were announced.

Boush & Tazewell Brambleton & Bute Streets St. Paul's Place Co. to

77 Condominiums Up to 248 apartments in two build 90 condominiums &

(some loft-style) selling from seven-story buildings. Pedestrian contemporary lofts priced from $160,000-$450,000 bridge across York St. to link to $125-$185,000

rowhouse-style apartments and a

garage. Monthly rent $1,000-$2000

The 2010 team approach will create complete environments that extend the public spaces of downtown. Here are just a few of their plans:

LOWER GRANBY DISTRICT

New hotel, mixed-use, office and retail development will extend this lively urban district to the Waterfront on the south and to Scope on the north.

a. Federal Square Development - City Hall Avenue and Granby Street

b. Hotel Conference Facilities - East Main Street

c. Retail Infill - 100 Block of Granby Street

d. Granby Street Link to Otter Berth

e. Waterside Landing, Town Point Park Improvements, and Marina Expansion

f. St. Paul's Landing

g. Office Building Sites in Downtown Core

BOUSH STREET

New residential development, combined with parking structures, will firmly establish Boush Street as an elegant residential address.

h. Boush Street Garage and Mixed-Use Development

i. Tazewell Street Developments

j. Brambleton and Boush Park

THE CHARLOTTE, WOOD, AND CHURCH STREET CORRIDOR

By connecting Church Street across both Wood and Charlotte Streets to Boush Street, the downtown street network will provide alternate routes and a new address will be created. The western portion will be primarily residential, while the central area will either extend the residential development east to St. Paul's Boulevard or create a continuous area of the large-scale public uses between Scope and MacArthur Center. New mixed-use, residential and office structures line St. Paul's Boulevard and

East Freemason Street.

k. Triangle Place

l. Federal Courthouse Expansion

m. Scope Plaza Developments

n. Charlotte Street and Monticello Avenue Development Options

o. St. Paul's Place

UPPER GRANBY AND OPERA SQUARE

New developments along the Brambleton Boulevard frontage will be coordinated with a mix of renovated and new structures to reinforce this mixed-use area with high-tech-related businesses, antique and specialty shops, and residential and civic uses. New streetscapes will extend along both Granby and Boush Streets to the Harrison Opera House and the Chrysler Museum of Art.

p. Improvements and Streetscapes to Granby Street and Boush Street

q. Brambleton Boulevard Corridor

r. Mixed-Use District

s. Opera Square

EAST WATERFRONT

Changes to the street pattern, light-rail transit, high-speed rail, and waterfront walkways and parks, together with new development of civic and mixed uses, will extend the waterfront beyond Harbor Park to Brambleton Boulevard and create both a new district and an entry to downtown.

t. Waterfront Development Options

u. High-Speed Rail and Intermodal Transportation Facility

v. Park Avenue Improvements

BRAMBLETON BOULEVARD

An enhanced Brambleton Boulevard Avenue will create revitalized opportunities for adjacent neighborhoods.

BRAMBLETON SOUTH AREA

New developments related to Norfolk State University can link the campus and the Broad Creek communities to downtown.

ST. PAUL'S BOULEVARD/CHURCH STREET AREA

Both public and private developments should be coordinated in an inclusive process to revitalize this key area, and to provide better links between the core of downtown and neighborhoods to the east and

Well i went to the trader site today. The lot was still open, i asked a very old and cranky lot attendant what the deal was and he said that tommorrow is the last day the lot will be open and Monday is actually the day they will start construction. I also took the liberty of scoping out places to take pictures from. About the best place i found was the 10th floor of the suntrust building parking deck. Excellent views of the core downtown area and the Trader and Hilton contruction sites. Parking is 75 cents an hour but if u don't want to pay you can just as easily park on the street (free on weekends) and take the elevator to the 10th floor. I plan on returning there once construction activity has picked up and will post pics here when i do.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

When is hilton suppose to break ground and i thought it wasn't a done deal yet. what are the actual details on the hilton.

When is hilton suppose to break ground and i thought it wasn't a done deal yet. what are the actual details on the hilton.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Hilton is a done deal. The mayor mentioned it in his state of the city address. There will be a formal annoucement most likely by the end of this month. The design proportions of the conference center to the hotel were still not finalized from what i understand, but the Hilton project will happen.

Good i can't wait to see a pic of what the building should look like. What is the height and # of floors?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

25+, they never gave an exact number but in the paper they said it would be upwards of 25 stories. There are rumors that they may try to give the Westin a run for its money and the Westin is supposed to be 35 stories. Who knows where thats gonna end up though.

Thanks for posting this. I've seen complaints on several boards that peninsula development does not get nearly enough attention cause all the publicity is surrounding Va. Beach and Norfolk. I was astounded the other day to learn that the Newport News Towncenter also includes plans for a 23-story highrise. If it were in Va. Beach or Norfolk, the media would be all over it, but i have yet to hear anything about this. When i find the plans I will post them here. In the mean time, if there is any more development from the peninsula keep posting it, I'd like to hear about it. :).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ok, so in the interest of accuracy and credibility I must print a retraction regarding this statement. There had been some argument about the actual building height because some articles were putting it at 11 stories. After constulting with an SSP forum member who has been in contact with the developer and city planning director we have since confirmed that the Marriott will only be 11 stories. While still technically a highrise, it's nowhere close to the 23 earlier mentioned. The tall building in the rendering, which was the source of confusion for many people, is an office tower. This office tower is still planned but not until a later phase.

25+, they never gave an exact number but in the paper they said it would be upwards of 25 stories. There are rumors that they may try to give the Westin a run for its money and the Westin is supposed to be 35 stories. Who knows where thats gonna end up though.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I hope so it would be great for the skyline

The Hilton is  a done deal. The mayor mentioned it in his state of the city address. There will be a formal annoucement most likely by the end of this month. The design proportions of the conference center to the hotel were still not finalized from what i understand, but the Hilton project will happen.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nothing to really add here, but I can confirm that the finalization of the conference center details are what is being ironed out. The mayor mentioned this exact same scenario in a meeting of the Freemason Area Civic Association a couple of months ago.

I will have to drive by the Trader site on my way home as it is quite near (3 blocks) from my condo residence downtown. With that now underway, the 388 Boush Street Condominiums, and the Harbor Heights project about to break ground, the Hilton/convention center project and the possibility of Granby Towers, folks will be hard pressed to recognize downtown Norfolk in a few years.

Harbor Heights has almost a floor up no .A week or two ago i went by and they already had the footers in place and looked as if they were getting started on the first floor of the building

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't think so. Harbor Heights will be built on the block on Boush Street between Tazewell and College Place where the D'Art Center building still proudly stands. There is also a parking lot still in use on part of the block.

You may be observing the prep work for the 388 Boush condominium project which is on Boush also, between College Place and Freemason Street. Work has been underway there for a couple of months now.

I don't think so.  Harbor Heights will be built on the block on Boush Street between Tazewell and College Place where the D'Art Center building still proudly stands.  There is also a parking lot still in use on part of the block.

You may be observing the prep work for the 388 Boush condominium project which is on Boush also, between College Place and Freemason Street.  Work has been underway there for a couple of months now.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I meant the 17 story retirement high rise at fort norfolk its called harbor something as well i think but i could be wrong but that project has been underway

I don't think so.  Harbor Heights will be built on the block on Boush Street between Tazewell and College Place where the D'Art Center building still proudly stands.  There is also a parking lot still in use on part of the block.

You may be observing the prep work for the 388 Boush condominium project which is on Boush also, between College Place and Freemason Street.  Work has been underway there for a couple of months now.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is correct. D'art center held their moving sale on march 5th. They will soon vacate the building and demolition and construction soon after that (late March to early april timeframe).

That is correct. D'art center held their moving sale on march 5th. They will soon vacate the building and demolition and construction soon after that (late March to early april timeframe).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is all good news, I heard that D'art center is moving into the Monticello Arcade so alot of people should be happy that it is not going completely away. I think that Norfolk is waiting to see what the final cut is on the Westin hotel before they tell everyone what the hilton size will be.

http://meetingsnet.com/ar/meetings_phase_virginia_beach/

Phase I of Virginia Beach Convention Center Set to Open in June

By Barbara L. Brewer

MeetingsNet, Feb 28 2005

Phase I of the $202.5 million Virginia Beach Convention Center will open in June, featuring an innovative design by architectural firm Skidmore Owings & Merrill, said Director of Convention Sales Al Hutchinson in an interview last week. Highlights include soaring glass walls and both interior and exterior pools of water, a 10-story observation deck, a cybercafe, a 10-foot-by-10-foot grid permanently etched into the exhibition floor to ease setup, and meeting space that is divisible into four meeting suites, or "pods."

http://meetingsnet.com/ar/meetings_phase_virginia_beach/

Phase I of Virginia Beach Convention Center Set to Open in June

By Barbara L. Brewer

MeetingsNet, Feb 28 2005

Phase I of the $202.5 million Virginia Beach Convention Center will open in June, featuring an innovative design by architectural firm Skidmore Owings & Merrill, said Director of Convention Sales Al Hutchinson in an interview last week. Highlights include soaring glass walls and both interior and exterior pools of water, a 10-story observation deck, a cybercafe, a 10-foot-by-10-foot grid permanently etched into the exhibition floor to ease setup, and meeting space that is divisible into four meeting suites, or "pods."

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is great news for VaBeach, and i thought they should have built it bigger than the Richmond convention center.

This is all good news, I heard that D'art center is moving into the Monticello Arcade so alot of people should be happy that it is not going completely away. I think that Norfolk is waiting to see what the final cut is on the Westin hotel before they tell everyone what the hilton size will be.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Minor point of clarification in that the D'Art Center is moving into the Seldon Arcade, not the Monticello Arcade. The Seldon Arcade is between Main Street and Plume Street. The Monticello Arcade is between Plume Street and City Hall Avenue. I understand the move is set for on or about April 1. There is an article in the Pilot today (Daily Break section) about one of the artists and her sadness about having to move.

Its good to see a new person in this forum, we've been growing slowly but surely and it's nice to know that so many people are interested in what happens in this area. May i suggest that you check out www.skyscrapercity.com and www.skyscraperpage.com as well. Both have very large Hampton Roads development sections and between those sites and this one you will almost always know whats going on in this area. Nice find on that article btw. I've never even heard of the site that article is from but they seem to have scooped the pilot (which isn't really that hard). Anyways, welcome to the forum  :) .

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Vdogg,

I finally got a chance to check out the sites you mentioned, but was not able to quickly locate the information about Hampton Roads. Can you help me out?

Archived