Hampton Roads

vdogg

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Vdogg,

I finally got a chance to check out the sites you mentioned, but was not able to quickly locate the information about Hampton Roads.  Can you help me out?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sure thing

SSC Hampton Roads Development Forum http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=120291&page=1

SSP Southern States (No actual HR thread but there are a lot on individual Norfolk, Va. Beach, NN, and area project threads)

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=36

Enjoy! :)

Well i'm sure you all enjoyed our thundersnowstorm this afternoon (thunder and lightning during a snowstorm :eek: , what is up with this states weather). I was traveling in the towncenter area at that time. The police had all the streets blocked off due to debris flying off the top of the cosmopolitan and one of the tower cranes had become unstable in some extremely high winds. The damage to the cosmopolitan was light however and it shouldn't set them back that far in construction. Heres a story from the pilot and a link (there was more than one story)

0308snow3.jpg

http://home.hamptonroads.com/stories/story...=134377&tref=po

Winter reasserts itself with wind and snow

The Virginian-Pilot

A little Trader Tower trivia:  There is now a chain link fence up around the perimeter of the site at Granby Street and City Hall Avenue!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They were even driving some piles when i went by yesterday. They aren't wasting much time are they? :D

For the purposes of organization and ease of use I have created two seperate (sp?) development threads. One for Norfolk and one for Virginia Beach. Please try and reserve this thread only for projects that are in the metro but not related to Virginia Beach and Norfolk (i.e. peninsula and smaller regions of southside Hampton Roads). Thanks :D.

James City and Williamsburg both have mixed-used projects in the works. James City's New Town development would contain between 1,200 and 2,000 single-family homes, town houses and apartments with an office, research district and movie theaters.

Williamsburg's High Street project calls for upscale town houses, apartments and condominiums alongside green areas, walkways, an events plaza and a shopping center with upscale shops and a multiplex theater.

I drove around the "New Town" development today in the Williamsburg/James City area, and it's coming together nicely. It's right accross the street from the new courthouse in Williamsburg, and has a some tenants already in and thriving, like Sun Trust Bank, and the Corner Pocket--a cool billiards parlor and restaurant.

I am guessing that the majority of the project is currently being or is yet to be built, including the residential portion.

Is the New Town development supposed to be an urban type development or a suburban one? Do you have any renderings that show how this project will look when completed? Its hard to imagine new urbanist trends catching on in Williamsburg but if they are i'm all about it. :)

Is the New Town development supposed to be an urban type development or a suburban one?  Do you have any renderings that show how this project will look when completed? Its hard to imagine new urbanist trends catching on in Williamsburg but if they are i'm all about it. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

While nowhere as being dense or populated as Va. Beach or Norfolk, Williamsburg can play in the urban league and I was there this past Sunday and they have shopping corridors as big, busy and dense as the shopping corridors in lynnhaven, military highway and jefferson ave. Don't count Williamsburg out especially with its high-income residents.

While nowhere as being dense or populated as Va. Beach or Norfolk, Williamsburg can play in the urban league and I was there this past Sunday and they have shopping corridors as big, busy and dense as the shopping corridors in lynnhaven, military highway and jefferson ave. Don't count Williamsburg out especially with its high-income residents.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not counting Williamsburg out, but i will say that density and population are two of the things i was wondering about when i made that statement. I'm sure they can support a few urban style developments, but do they have enough people to support an overall trend or shift to urban development. I think the reason its starting to work in Va. Beach is because the level of sprawl here has gotten so out of control that people are just looking for something different. I'm not entirely sure Williamsburg has reached that level yet.

I'm not counting Williamsburg out, but i will say that density and population are two of the things i was wondering about when i made that statement. I'm sure they can support a few urban style developments, but do they have enough people to support an overall trend or shift to urban development. I think the reason its starting to work in Va. Beach is because the level of sprawl here has gotten so out of control that people are just looking for something different. I'm not entirely sure Williamsburg has reached that level yet.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

oh i didnt mean to say that you are counting Williamsburg out. They aren't quite dense (actually not even close) but they do have dense patches then you're back in the woods again till the next dense area. I think the reason they have this project is to have all the best features of their dense areas into one specific dense area rather than have people live close to one dense area which provides a certain need or want but then have to drive further to another dense area for another different need or want.

• 2 weeks later...

First of all, to generalize like that is stupid. You dont even know the context it was stated in or what it was referring to. The fact is, norfolk is more urbanized so it has the capacity for more lower income people which would be unfavorable and would stand out more in a suburban area which could not handle the type of situations it could potentially cause. I have not seen the quote, but until the context it was stated in is revealed, dont generalize or make assumptions on the beach's character.

Thanks for posting this Johnny but we cannot post the full article. I had to take out a few paragraphs

There's a new article in today's DailyPress about the New Town development in the Williamsburg area. While it isn't urban in the sense that it has high rises, it is urban in the sense that it combines the modern trend of putting work, play, and live all together in one area. This article highlights the opening of the TowneBank business there.

http://www.dailypress.com/business/local/d...ness-localheads

TowneBank coming to New Town

James City County's new urban-style development is becoming a magnet for banking centers.

BY APRIL TAYLOR

223-5685

April 6 2005

JAMES CITY -- Sprouting up quickly along Monticello Avenue, James City County's up-and-coming New Town development has become a magnet for banking institutions.

COUNTY OFFICIALS ARE HAILING THE URBAN

style development as a key future financial center for the Williamsburg area.

TowneBank, the largest community bank headquartered in Hampton Roads, is the latest banking institution to land there.

TowneBank officials broke ground Tuesday morning on the site of its new Williamsburg headquarters at New Town.

"We've waited a long time for this," said Gerald L. Passaro, TowneBank's Peninsula President, at Tuesday's ceremony, flanked by a crowd of business personalities, including state Sen. Tommy Norment, R-James City, James City County Board of Supervisors Chairman Michael Brown and TowneBank's Williamsburg President Anne C. H. Conner..............

An upscale, urban-style mix of offices, shops and residences near Monticello Avenue, Ironbound Road and Route 199, the New Town project is a joint venture between the Endowment Association of the College of William & Mary and C.C. Casey Limited Co.

Copyright

• 2 weeks later...

I found this article in today's Pilotonline.

FREDERICKSBURG -- An air of uncertainty prevailed today at the Virginia Commission on Military Bases' final meeting before Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld releases his list of bases targeted for closure or realignment.

However, officials were confident the state has done its best to prepare for the next round of military downsizing.

"This is a process you can never fully predict," Gov. Mark R. Warner said in an interview before addressing the 28-member commission.

The commission's co-chairman, former U.S. Rep. Owen Pickett of Virginia Beach, said in an interview, "Certainly there's going to be some realignment (in Virginia). We have to be prepared for any eventuality."

The goal of the 2005 downsizing is to trim the nation's defense infrastructure by 25 percent.

"There's been all kind of speculation" about possible base closures in Virginia, Warner said, adding that he was not going to contribute to the rumor mill.

Rumsfeld is scheduled to release his recommendations by May 16.

"We're down to crunch time," Warner told the commission. "The rumors are fast and furious."

He said, however, Virginia should benefit from its strong military presence, which includes the Pentagon and the world's largest naval base in Norfolk.

Virginia's two dozen military installations provide jobs to more than 200,000 residents. In Hampton Roads, the military makes up 31 percent of the economy.

Full Story.

I am very thankful for our military I truly am but honestly, having the military make up 31% of our economy is why our area lags and languishes in such low wages. I mean we have the know how - there are plenty of educated folks in this area. But if say Oceana goes away how long will it take the area to recover? What do you guys think??

I agree and I think Norfolk and the rest of the area is really trying to bring in more jobs to our region, but people are scared to come here with us depending on the military so much. Maybe the base closings could be a blessing for this area. I too support our military but i also support this region just as much.

from the Friday Times-Dispatch....

Lawmakers seek to save NASA jobs

Wolf promises he'll seek restoration of funds cut from budget

BY PETER HARDIN

TIMES-DISPATCH WASHINGTON CORRESPONDENT

Apr 15, 2005

WASHINGTON -- Hampton Roads lawmakers fighting to protect aeronautics jobs secured pledges from a key colleague, a Virginian whose subcommittee votes on funding NASA.

Rep. Frank R. Wolf, R-10th, said yesterday he would work to restore $54 million that the Bush administration has proposed cutting from NASA's aeronautics research in the upcoming fiscal year. The program currently gets $906 million in funding, he said.

He also will have a section included in an appropriations bill directing the administration to "develop a national aeronautics policy" within a year after passage, said Wolf, chairman of an appropriations subcommittee with authority over NASA's purse strings.

"NASA appears to be moving forward with a significantly reduced aeronautics budget and a new research agenda without having a firm road map for the future," Wolf said at a news conference....

....Area lawmakers and local officials have voiced concern about budget cuts affecting the National Aeronautics and Space Administration's Langley Research Center, potentially requiring cutting about 1,000 jobs by the fall of 2006.

Archived