Creative Lofts, Condos, etc.

btoy

That is an interesting article.  I drive by the Mills Mill on Church St. frequently.  It really seems to have people fascinated with the beauty of combining Contemporary with Antique in this area.  I don't beleive that there are many condos left in that one. :)

Someone mentioned that Greer might possibly get a remodeled mill facility.  That would be an ideal addition to the current development/redevelopment going on in town.  My favorite downtown remodel is the Gerard's restaurant.  That guy is really nice and the building is a perfect example of one way to recapture the life and beauty of an old vacant box. :thumbsup:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I just can't think what Mill in Greer that could be. I am surprised I haven't heard that rumor, well, if I hear anything I will share.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just can't think what Mill in Greer that could be.  I am surprised I haven't heard that rumor,  well, if I hear anything I will share.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm sorry, I didn't read carefully enough. :blush: The mill is being torn apart. I haven't been by it in a while. Well, it really would have made a great improvement to the quality of life over there. :(

Have you ever heard of any plans for revitalization/development in the historic milltown of Piedmont (just south of G-ville)?

A friend of mine opened this place this last year, The Saw Mill on North Main

He just won the Commercial Revitlization award from the Local Board of Realtors for converting a Saw Mill in to a Celebration Hall, Party Barn, what ever you want to call it. 

But again it is a neat new use for an exsisting structure.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Never knew this place existed and I live just a mile or two from it. I wish the site had more exterior shots. I will have to check it out.

I believe there might be some posts in previous threads regarding this example, but when I think of refurbishing old mill buildings, I always think of Lowell Massachusetts. This town built some of the first mills in the United States to support the fledgling cotton industry. Every time I visit this town, I amazed at the job they have done at restoring the historic downtown and mill district. It is a model of preservation. Here are some pics from the different projects:

Massachusetts Mills

homepic1_s.jpg

homepic5_s.jpg

Here is a link to the City of Lowell master plan, outlining refurbishment of the CBD, and in particular, conversion of mill buildings to artist lofts.

City of Lowell Master Plan

Interesting story about how the housing shortage in Cambridge, Somerville, MA has pushed for the conversion of old schools and churches into condos/lofts:

Church/School

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Anyone know what "The Lofts of Greenville" is? I saw a really nice ad in "Apartment Finder" with a sketch that looked somewhat similar to the Lofts at Mills Mill, but I know this one is not the same, because it is supposed to be located around Poinsett Hwy. I don't remember a website being included, but there may be one. :)

Anyone know what "The Lofts of Greenville" is?  I saw a really nice ad in "Apartment Finder" with a sketch that looked somewhat similar to the Lofts at Mills Mill, but I know this one is not the same, because it is supposed to be located around Poinsett Hwy.  I don't remember a website being included, but there may be one. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have not heard of that project. I live one block from Poinsett Hwy. I'm not sure where the Monahan Mill is, but it is being renovated I understand. Maybe that is what you are referring to.

Glad to see those Mills in Cola finally getting renovated. They should be really nice when they are finished. Great pics BTW.

I have not heard of that project.  I live one block from Poinsett Hwy.  I'm not sure where the Monahan Mill is, but it is being renovated I understand. Maybe that is what you are referring to.

Glad to see those Mills in Cola finally getting renovated.  They should be really nice when they are finished.  Great pics BTW.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

THe Monaghan Mill is along the new Western Corridor, what ever that road is or was called. You can't miss it.

Yep, that's the one! Somehow I didn't realize it was being renovated into apartments. The full-page ad is really nice. It says, "Coming Soon! Fall 2005." Prices range from $650-$850+ per month for one, two, or three bedrooms.

Positives are:

- Gated Community

- Fitness Center

- Swimming Pool

- 15 ft. Ceilings

- Hardwood Floors

- Exposed Historic Brick Walls

- Exposed Heart Pine Beams

BTW, the road is Smythe Street. :)

Great thread. i never realized how big the textile industry was in South Carolina until looking at this thread. The historic industrial architecture of these mills closely resemble many of the old cuban cigar factories in Tampa. Hopefully most can be saved because they look like they would make great lofts.

• 1 month later...

I noticed your board and I LOVE IT!! I am an assistant for the developer who is developing the Monaghan Mill (The Lofts of Greenville) on Smythe St. Brad....could you send me an email at [email protected]? I have some things I would like to discuss with you. Everything looks great and I'm so glad that our history is being preserved!! :w00t:

**Amanda**

• 2 weeks later...

Great News! I have always thought those woudl make excellent lofts. I hope they cloean up the area a little bit though.

On a separate note, I have some shots of the Olympia and Granby Mill construction:

Granby

cola_granby01.jpg

cola_granby02.jpg

The weird thing connecting the two mills

cola_olympia-granby.jpg

Olympia

cola_olympiamill01.jpg

cola_olympiamill02.jpg

cola_olympiamill03.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

The Clifton Mill #2 is in Spartanburg County, in the unincorporated Clifton mill village. Its not really downtown anywhere. Its on the the eastern edge of what I consider suburban Spartanburg. The mill is in an idyllic location along the Pacolet River. It has a great waterfall and if this is done right, it will probably have a great waterfront park. My hope is that it will liven up the old village. It needs a boost in a bad way. I haven't heard anything about it lately though.

It is also ideal because it is located near several schools, and probably 5-8 mins from the newest eastside shopping area in Spartanburg.

I will say that if you are looking for a place downtown, this won't be for you, since it is in a mostly rural setting, though being in the mill village limits that rural effect to an extent.

Archived