► Miami/South Florida Photo of the Day ◄

Aessotariq

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very nice... do you happen to have any of the Biltmore? I've been meaning to get some pics of that, as well as Vizcaya and the Deering Estate.

Not any digitized ones. Sounds like a nice tour though.

If only I had some family coming into town, It'd be a great excuse to take a day off and hit up all 3.

Until then...

As you head east or west along Hollywood Blvd, it feels like the building is coming toward you, because it's right in the middle of the road... At night the outermost corners are lit up in a neon bluish tint, and the cone-shaped roof of the atrium is framed in bright white. It's stunning.

DADE COUNTY COURTHOUSE

Miami's first skyscraper, which began construction in 1925, built from Stone Mountain granite. At 27 stories, it was purportedly the tallest building south of Baltimore when completed. Its completion was delayed three years by the Great Hurricane of 1926. It is currently undergoing a major restoration of its interior and exterior.

DadeCoCourthouse.jpg

In the beginning the top floors were used as a jail, thinking that having inmates up that high would make it escape-proof... They escaped anyway. :)

Dade County Government was originally located in this building, until 1986, when the 29-story Metro-Dade Government Center (now the Stephen P. Clark Government Center) was dedicated.

DADE COUNTY COURTHOUSE

Miami's first skyscraper, which began construction in 1925, built from Stone Mountain granite. At 27 stories, it was purportedly the tallest building south of Baltimore when completed. Its completion was delayed three years by the Great Hurricane of 1926. It is currently undergoing a major restoration of its interior and exterior.

DadeCoCourthouse.jpg

In the beginning the top floors were used as a jail, thinking that having inmates up that high would make it escape-proof... They escaped anyway. :)

Dade County Government was originally located in this building, until 1986, when the 29-story Metro-Dade Government Center (now the Stephen P. Clark Government Center) was dedicated.

Are you sure its limestone? On the restoration order on the outside of the building it says that it was made from stone quarried from stone mountain in georgia. I remembered that because I thought it was neat. Additionally when this building had its grand opening the steps served to hand out unemplyment checks to the poor people at the beggining of the Great Depresion. Also of note in front of the building which is now the metrorail tracks. There was a cirlce and in the middle the buriel place of Julia Tuttle. In the center of the cirle was a large monument over her grave site that has a dedication and a large TUTTLE on it. Since then it has been moved to the Old Miami Cemetery where it can be seen today. This is not the only woman in Miami to be buried in a public place. In Coconut grove next to the old grove library there is a grave site. I think its Mary Brickell but im think im wrong. Whoever it is, i always pay me respects when i walk by(im such a softee) the grave is maintained by the city of Miami.

I just looked it up and i hate to do this all the time but i found it. Its made from stone mountain granite.

http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/bu/?id=122294

Granite it is, I stand corrected... It's fixed. Funny how many times I've read that restoration order too. Probably got it confused with Government Center, which is indeed limestone. I'm trying to remember if there are any limestone elements in the courthouse. I won't say anything about your spelling. :P j/k

Nice info on Julia Tuttle, the "mother" of Miami, the only major city in the U.S. that was inspired by a woman.

BTW, KendallKid -- would you or anyone be interested in a South Florida trivia thread? I'll start one if we can keep one going.

Granite it is, I stand corrected... It's fixed. Funny how many times I've read that restoration order too. Probably got it confused with Government Center, which is indeed limestone. I'm trying to remember if there are any limestone elements in the courthouse. I won't say anything about your spelling. :P j/k

Nice info on Julia Tuttle, the "mother" of Miami, the only major city in the U.S. that was inspired by a woman.

BTW, KendallKid -- would you or anyone be interested in a South Florida trivia thread? I'll start one if we can keep one going.

Indeed my spelling does leave alot to be desired. And I do think a South Florida trivia thread would be a good idea. Fun and Informative.

Archived