Region losing 9,000 residents a year

Allan

Region losing 9,000 residents a year, study says

December 11, 2004

BY BEN SCHMITT

FREE PRESS STAFF WRITER

Southeast Michigan loses an average of 27,000 people per year to outward migration, while it gains 18,000 people per year from other countries, according to a study released Friday.

The result has been a net loss of 9,000 people in the region per year from 2000-03, said the study by the Southeast Michigan Council of Governments.

"The findings in this report raise important concerns and are a call-to-action for the region," SEMCOG Executive Director Paul Tait said Friday. "We must continue to improve the quality of life here to make southeast Michigan more attractive to current residents and people from other areas."

St. Clair Shores Mayor Bob Hison presented the study Friday at a meeting in Detroit. The counties designated as southeast Michigan in the study are Wayne, Macomb, Oakland, Washtenaw, St. Clair, Monroe and Livingston.

"It is our job as elected officials to do everything we can to make changes to improve the quality of life in southeast Michigan so that we keep more of the younger and older people here and so that we attract others to our communities," Hison said. "This is so important to all of our communities and to our country."

The study also shows:

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Studies have shown when a region has a core city that is losing population and a downtown that is not as strong as it use to be, that the whole region actually looses out and can see flight from the entire region. This appears to be what is happening in Detroit.

Most of the people who are leaving are in the 18-30 year old category - in other words, the college educated young people. When I talk to people here on campus a shocking number of people plan to leave the metro, and even Michigan all together. When I ask them where they are going, the most common response is "Chicago". Other popular destinations include a number of place in the south, specifically cities in Florida.

This should be a serious wake up call to the region. We continue to fall behind other metros.

Grand Rapids over on the west side of the state is another story. They have a strong and growing downtown core. The metro area is growing quickly, and they seems to be attracting a good number of new jobs.

Studies have shown when a region has a core city that is losing population and a downtown that is not as strong as it use to be, that the whole region actually looses out and can see flight from the entire region.  This appears to be what is happening in Detroit. 

Most of the people who are leaving are in the 18-30 year old category - in other words, the college educated young people.  When I talk to people here on campus a shocking number of people plan to leave the metro, and even Michigan all together.  When I ask them where they are going, the most common response is "Chicago".  Other popular destinations include a number of place in the south, specifically cities in Florida.

This should be a serious wake up call to the region.  We continue to fall behind other metros. 

Grand Rapids over on the west side of the state is another story.  They have a strong and growing downtown core.  The metro area is growing quickly, and they seems to be attracting a good number of new jobs.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

One word....spawl  :ph34r:

One word....spawl  ph34r.gif

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sprawl killed downtown, yes. But other cities sprawl, yet their metros still grow. All we do is shift people around. Part of the reason we are not growing is because we can't attract or keep jobs.

• 2 weeks later...

DO they have more love for the Tigers than we do? LOL

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, LOL. I manage to go to a few games each summer, but I go more for the skyline views than I do to see the actual game. Haha.

BTW, welcome to the forum, roguenoir!

Archived