Bank of America Stadium

UrbanCharlotte

Just curious, how could we retrofit BofA stadium with a retractable roof?  It doesn't seem very feasible.  Was it initially designed for this possibility?

It wouldn't be possible to retrofit the stadium with a tretractable roof from my understanding, without a LOT of money pumped in to doing so. It was not originally designed with this intent.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Too cold?!?!  LOL!  I don't think it gets *THAT* cold here.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The point is they want to have the super bowl in a warm place if possible. If you think Charlotte is warm during super bowl time your crazy! It could be snowing, ice storms, highs in the 20's. At the same time it can be mild. It's March, 18th right now and what was the weather in Charlotte like yesterday??? It was snowing here in Raleigh.

In my opinion the weather should not matter though. They play regular season games in any kind of weather. So why not the superbowl?

In my opinion the weather should not matter though. They play regular season games in any kind of weather. So why not the superbowl?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

One of the greatest games I've been to yet was the Monday Night Football game against the Packers where it was freezing! C'mon people (NFL Officials), it's FOOTBALL! Weather doesn't matter. You'll sell out the game no matter what.

if you think they want a place that is warm for the superbowl then you are wrong.  next year it will be in detroit, and if that aint enough it is also scheduled to be played in st. louis and maybe indianapolis.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And they are also saying it may be played in NYC if their new Olympic Stadium is built....NY in February.

It wouldn't be possible to retrofit the stadium with a tretractable roof from my understanding, without a LOT of money pumped in to doing so.  It was not originally designed with this intent.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Besides this:

1. Football is played in all types of weather..snow, rain, thunder, cold, hot. Usually, baseball benefits only from retractable roofs.

2. If you were talking just about fan comfort, our weather doesn't justify it. This isn't Green Bay or Minneapolis.

3. Like Neo said, the stadium wasn't designed for a roof...if it was possible...it would cost millions of dollars.

4. I think we asked for the Super Bowl when the stadium was first built...and we didn't have enough hotel rooms. Like every other major event (presidential debate, political convention...we don't have enough hotel rooms to support the events that attract 100,000 in uptown).

I don't think Charlotte will host the Superbowl in the next 25-30 years. BofA stadium is not built to support a roof structure and I don't ever see the Richardson's building one. Even if it was, it doesn't make much business sense to spend millions to retro-fit the stadium to get minnimal returns. The city would benifit 100 X's more than the Richardson's. Maybe when this stadium has run it's course, the next one will have some kind of roof structure.

if you think they want a place that is warm for the superbowl then you are wrong.  next year it will be in detroit, and if that aint enough it is also scheduled to be played in st. louis and maybe indianapolis.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Those are all domed stadiums and the compitetion to host the Superbowl is only increasing. The new one in Indianapolis will either be domed or retractable. Dallas is building a retractable roof stadium as is the New York Jets / Olympic Stadium.

module-greenbook.jpg

As well as the new one in Arizona.

nightstadnew05.jpg

view4_dayaerial.jpg

You have to look at the big picture. The Superbowl is much more than a game. Millions of dollars are put into pre-game and halftime entertainment and the last thing the networks want is for them to get washed out.

In all fairness, the Super  Bowl this year had a real chance to be a diasater. JAX can get pretty damn cool, 30's are not rare. And I beleive a few days before the big game, it was 30 something and raining.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Sunday that started SB week in Jax it was in the 60s. Mon, Tues, and Wed the highs were in the mid to low 50s. At night the lows dipped in mid to low 40s with some light rain, not heavy, but it didn't hit the 30s. From Thurs to Sunday the highs were back to the mid 60s with lows in the mid 40s. That is common for Jax in Dec and Jan. 20s and 30s do happen but they are not as numerous as what you would get in Charlotte or Raliegh. The point is that you have a better chance of getting good weather in Jax during SB week than you do cities north of Florida. Sure the weather can be freaky, but I can almost book you a couple of days of sunshine and temps in the mid 60s.

I don't think Charlotte will host the Superbowl in the next 25-30 years. BofA stadium is not built to support a roof structure and I don't ever see the Richardson's building one. Even if it was, it doesn't make much business sense to spend millions to retro-fit the stadium to get minnimal returns. The city would benifit 100 X's more than the Richardson's. Maybe when this stadium has run it's course, the next one will have some kind of roof structure.

Those are all domed stadiums and the compitetion to host the Superbowl is only increasing. The new one in Indianapolis will either be domed or retractable. Dallas is building a retractable roof stadium as is the New York Jets / Olympic Stadium.

module-greenbook.jpg

As well as the new one in Arizona.

nightstadnew05.jpg

view4_dayaerial.jpg

You have to look at the big picture. The Superbowl is much more than a game. Millions of dollars are put into pre-game and halftime entertainment and the last thing the networks want is for them to get washed out.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

One of the reason that the stadiums you posted pics of are getting a chance to host the SB is b/c the owners of those teams cut deals with the NFL to get a SB to those stadiums if improvements were done or new stadiums were built.

The key is to get into the rotation. There are few cities in that rotation and I believe Jacksonville added themselves to the rotation with their performance doing SB week, per Paul Tauglibu's comments on Monday. Granted, Jax has to get the hotel situation completed, but they are already working on that. The SB was held in Minn but Minn isn't in the rotation is it. The Detriot deal was cut when Ford Field was on the drawing board. A deal for Indy is being completed and the circle continues. These owners use the SB to get deals done on stadiums without even caring if the city is brought into the rotation.

One of the reason that the stadiums you posted pics of are getting a chance to host the SB is b/c the owners of those teams cut deals with the NFL to get a SB to those stadiums if improvements were done or new stadiums were built.

The key is to get into the rotation.  There are few cities in that rotation and I believe Jacksonville added themselves to the rotation with their performance doing SB week, per Paul Tauglibu's comments on Monday.  Granted, Jax has to get the hotel situation completed, but they are already working on that.  The SB was held in Minn but Minn isn't in the rotation is it.  The Detriot deal was cut when Ford Field was on the drawing board.  A deal for Indy is being completed and the circle continues.  These owners use the SB to get deals done on stadiums without even caring if the city is brought into the rotation.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is my point. I don't see Charlotte trying to get into the rotation. The panthers play in a privately funded stadium and I don't see them paying for a new one just to host a single event. Anonther factor is the PSL's. 90 million of the 250 million stadium was financed by PSL's and I don't think those customers would be too happy if their investment dissapeared. (i'm not sure, but I think there was an agreement that the stadium would be in place for a certain length of time so PSLer's would lose there investment).

The city financing a stadium is obviously not an option since it's broke and there's already a growing line of projects looking for $$$$.

I read somewhere yesterday that after the 2010 Superbowl in New York that the rotation could be narrowed down to 2 or 3 cities. They are looking for places with a large convention area adjacent to the stadium to host week long events and possibly holding the halftime show there, attracting another crowd. If this were to happen, I think New Orleans would definently be one of the host cities. It's already considered one of the best host cities and has an arena next to the stadium.

• 2 years later...

http://www.panthers.com/Common/Article.aspx?id=30812

BOA stadium is getting a new set of scoreboards...finally! The video section of the screens will be more than three times the size of the current screens and will be in LED display as oppose to the current CRT. The assemply of the new screens will take about six months, but they should be erecting cranes soon to remove the old screens. :)

Archived