Annexation issues in Columbia

emerging.me

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Savannah/Chatham is not consoliudated.

I didn't know that counties had even considered it in the past. I'd be suprised if the idea even made to a voting stage here. SC is weird about annexation.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Enabling legislation for consolidation was passed years ago. Richland had a committee draft a proposed charter in the '90's, which I had a copy of. I lent it out and never got it back though. As I recall, it was a pretty solid document. It had some unique aspects. One I seem to remember was that councilmen for the consolidated government would get nominated by single member districts, but the top two voter getters were voted on county-wide. This preserved diversity of residency but required the eventual winners to have broad support across the county. I sure wish Greenville had something like that.

Unfortunately like so many good ideas, that charter document is just gathering dust somewhere.

After looking through some old newspaper clippings, I saw a reference that Charleston County voted down consolidation in 1974. There was a revival of interest in consolidation in 1988, which is when this particular article dated from, but it did not get past the talking stage.

BTW, the reason I think Sumter would be the best candidate for SC's first consolidation is that about 40-45% of the residents county-wide already live in the city. That is a high ratio by SC standards. Also, there is only one other incorporated town in that county, the small town of Mayesville.

Additionally, since they already have a local option sales tax, the additional city taxes would be pretty minimal. Anyway, if it ever happens, you heard it here first!

Enabling legislation for consolidation was passed years ago.  Richland had a committee draft a proposed charter in the '90's, which I had a copy of.  I lent it out and never got it back though.  As I recall, it was a pretty solid document.  It had some unique aspects.  One I seem to remember was that councilmen for the consolidated government would get nominated by single member districts, but the top two voter getters were voted on county-wide.  This preserved diversity of residency but required the eventual winners to have broad support across the county.  I sure wish Greenville had something like that.

Unfortunately like so many good ideas, that charter document is just gathering dust somewhere.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think Greenville would benefit from this probably more than Columbia/Richland.

After looking through some old newspaper clippings, I saw a reference that Charleston County voted down consolidation in 1974.  There was a revival of interest in consolidation in 1988, which is when this particular article dated from, but it did not get past the talking stage. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I did some research at the local libary and found this info:

Charleston voted on consolidation in the 1974 general election. Approval was required in both the unincorporated and incorporated areas. The vote totals for each were:

Unincorporated: Yes: 5,279 No: 10,657

Incorporated: Yes: 9,118 No: 10,524

Incidentially, in that same general election, Colleton County annexed Edisto Beach from Charleston County.

I heard that Edisto Beach seceeded from Charleston County.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Two sides of the same coin...

Colleton county voters voted to annex Edisto Beach on the same day as the Edisto Beach residents voted to suceed from Charleston County for Colleton County. The annexing county must approve by simple majority, the suceeding area must approve by 2/3rds.

The 1974 vote was for Edisto Beach proper, a later election in the 90's switched part of neighboring Edisto Island from Charleston to Colleton.

Some figures I compiled:

Charlotte Land Area in 1990

174 sq. miles

Charlotte Land Area in 2004

267 sq. miles

Charlotte population in 1990

Charlotte population in 2004

Columbia Land Area in 1990

118 sq. miles --- Excluding Ft. Jackson, Columbia's land area is 35 sq. miles

Columbia Land Area in 2004

125 sq miles

Columbia population in 1990

Columbia population in 2004

Charleston Land Area in 1990

52 sq. miles

Charleston Land Area in 2004

103 sq. miles

Charleston population in 1990

Charleston population in 2004

Some more census figures:

Charlotte: 1,065

Charleston 42,985

Columbia 6,060

Charlotte: 4,473

Charleston 48,956

Columbia 9,298

Charlotte: 18,091

Charleston 55,807

Columbia 21,108

Charlotte: 46,338

Charleston 67,957

Columbia 37,524

Charlotte: 100,899

Charleston 71,275

Columbia 62,396

Charlotte: 314,447

Charleston 69,510

Columbia 101,208

Interesting figures to be sure. Charleston used to be the 4th largest city in America. And remained one of the laergest cities for over fifty years

(Census 1790)

1 New York city, NY *..................... 33,131

2 Philadelphia city, PA *................. 28,522

3 Boston town, MA *....................... 18,320

4 Charleston city, SC..................... 16,359

5 Baltimore town, MD...................... 13,503

6 Northern Liberties township, PA *....... 9,913

7 Salem town, MA.......................... 7,921

8 Newport town, RI........................ 6,716

9 Providence town, RI *................... 6,380

10t Marblehead town, MA..................... 5,661

10t Southwark district, PA *................ 5,661

(Census 1860)

1 New York city, NY *................ 312,710

2 Baltimore city, MD................. 102,313

3 New Orleans city, LA *............. 102,193

4 Philadelphia city, PA *............ 93,665

5 Boston city, MA *.................. 93,383

6 Cincinnati city, OH................ 46,338

7 Brooklyn city, NY *................ 36,233

8 Northern Liberties district, PA *.. 34,474

9 Albany city, NY.................... 33,721

10 Charleston city, SC................ 29,261

• 3 months later...

I wonder if the annexation laws were changed after Columbiana was stolen from Irmo? For those not familiar with this, in the ealy 90s the City of Columbia annexed the Mall in a surprise move. Irmo had thought tax revenue from the new mall would come to their town. Columbia used a string of contiguous parcels out along the river and across I26 to annex the Mall.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:rofl: That's hilarious to me, I actually began to laugh as I read that. GO COLUMBIA! Show those suburbs whose the boss, no matter how bad you anger them. Watch your back Forest Acres. :silly:

:rofl:  That's hilarious to me, I actually began to laugh as I read that. GO COLUMBIA! Show those suburbs whose the boss, no matter how bad you anger them. Watch your back Forest Acres.  :silly:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree. The people that live in the suburbs ave all the advantages that the city offers, but they don't pay any taxes to the city. I agree wholeheartedly with the city annexing the Columbiana area. Keep on annexing is all I have to say! A stronger central city helps the entire area.

• 1 year later...

Adding to that article here is one of some residencts in Woodcreek wanting out of the city if they can't come up with a solution...They don't think it's fair to be in the city limits and the rest of the subdivisions around it not to be. They want the city to annex the existing homes around the area or de-annex. Their happy with the city but don't think its fair that the city is shoestring annexing.

http://www.thestate.com/mld/thestate/news/local/15430717.htm

If you ask me, this is where the city messed up:

Woodcreek developer Edwin Cooper said he approached Columbia officials in 1998 to take in portions of his 2,500-acre subdivision so it could receive city services. Annexation would be requested for other parts, he said, as the subdivision was built out to the expected 300 homes.

The entire thing should have been annexed. I'm not sure if that was an option, but if not, I guess something's better than nothing.

If you ask me, this is where the city messed up:

The entire thing should have been annexed. I'm not sure if that was an option, but if not, I guess something's better than nothing.

It very well may be that this development is being built in phases, and only the completed phases are annexed, as they finish each phase. That is often done in other cities. If so, the entire area may eventually be annexed, although the dissatisfaction the current residents are expressing might affect that.

The Sales Tax shift is a significant factor. Once Charleston implemented it, it added about 10,000 residents just in the first 2-2.5 years. Maybe Columbia will be as successful, or maybe more.

Of course, at the other end of the spectrum, the NE incorporation effort might grow in response to Cola's annexation push. And now incorporation is easier than ever, thanks to Glenn McConnell/James Island.

It will be interesting nonetheless.

Archived