Annexation issues in Columbia

emerging.me

Of course, at the other end of the spectrum, the NE incorporation effort might grow in response to Cola's annexation push. And now incorporation is easier than ever, thanks to Glenn McConnell/James Island.

You underestimate the ability of Joe Riley to get unconstitutional legislation repealed. ;)

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Can Columbia annex Sesquicentinneal Park? The city limits are adjacent too it now off of Percival Road. That would bring right on the Two Notch corridor and they could annex up Two Notch. Didn't Cola annex Harbison State forest in the 90s? Would it be too big of a problem to do this with this park

I have often wondered this myself. The State (Budeget & Control Board) would have to approve it, but that shouldn't be too big of an issue. Harbison S.F. was annexed as part of the controversial Columbiana Centre annexation in the late '80s or early 90's.

Sometimes the city increases costs by annexing well outside its boundaries, which can require more money to pay for police and fire services.

This is exactly why they are cherry picking. The reason there are donut holes in our cities, and Columbia has quite a few, is because of our backwards annexation laws. When the laws are changed to allow the city to more effectively annex land as the city grows, instead of after the fact, the city won't need to cherry pick the way that they do.

This is on city council's agenda for the next meeting (9/27), which some (most) of you guys won't like:

14. 143.81 acres, N/S Screaming Eagle Road, TMS# 31600-02-18; rezone from Richland County RU (Rural) to RS-3.

Ordinance No.: 2006-032 - Annexing 144+/- acres, S/S Percival Road and N/S Screaming Eagle Road, Richland County TMS #31600-02-18

Council District: 4

Proposal: Annex and rezone property from RU to RS-3 to allow applicant to subdivide property and construct 430 single-family residences.

Applicant: Pond Branch Associates (The Mungo Company).

PC Recommendation: Deny, 7-1 (3/6/06).

Staff Recommendation: Deny.

I did get the feeling from previous posts that you didn't really care for the guy or his company, but I still think that the people his company is building homes for should be in the city if at all possible and reasonable. :)

I have to admit that I agree with you; I just don't want him to build any more homes. :rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...

Archived