Best cities for Single in South Carolina

The_sandlapper

Interesting read, accoding to Primacy Relocation and Worldwide Employee Relocation Council, these are the best cities for singles in SC on a state and national level. For those of you who have ventured there Would you agree or disagree?

SC:

1. Charleston

2. Columbia

3. Greenville

Nationally:

Charleston #39

Columbia #56

Greenville #82

"Columbia rated 56th best place for singles"

From Staff and Wire Reports

If you

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Greenville just doesn't strike me that way. Columbia has USC, which makes sense in itself, Charleston has beaches and CofC which are a draw for everyone, but I would think singles as well. But Greenville? It doesn't have that one centrifying pice or landmark or whatever. Furman? BJU? But those are relatively small colleges... So I can't think of any other reason other than its the largest city in the Upstate.

Doesn anyone disagree? I'm all up for having my mind changed on this.

Well they mention the key factors in the article. It's the size of the single population, how cheap it is to live, what the climate is like, is there a university and what are the residency requirements for college. Many things like that.

Often I'll be doing a demographics demonstration and a single lady in the meeting will ask if I can locate concentrations of single men. I do that sometimes comparing the ratio of men to women or telling them how many singles are in their area. Often it's hard for singles to meet others. Spartan is right on..Greenville could edge Columbia if there was a large college in town.

I think USC definately gives Columbia some motsy! But don't forget there is Benedict (Cola), Allen (Cola), & SC State (45 min. down the road too). I admit I was kinda surprised to see Charleston higher than Columbia (personal preferences aside) I just always thought they shut that place up at night time, I've been to Charleston but never really hung out down there, I'd like to check it out sometime though. I do remember Spartan stating previously that the area around the College of Charleston is pretty vibrant or something like that. As far as "atmosphere" Charleston beats Columbia I won't deny that. It would be like comparing Charlotte to New Orleans. Greenville always seemed to be very "family oriented", like when I would go out on Main St. on weekend nights I would see people with their kids in some of the restaurants/bars with them, not that there is anything wrong with that I was just suprised to see that on a weekend night. I know Myrtle Beach in the daytime is very family friendly but at night its time to put the kids to bed and party! Anyways its interesting SC major metros are all definately unique to themselves, I never would have noticed until I moved out of state.

^Charleston seemed to be jumping at night, especially when I visited there this summer. It was also pretty hot, when I visited there with my architecture college class a couple of years ago. There are so many things in a compact urban setting, including the C of C, that the others lack, that I'd agree with the rankings of putting Charleston ahead of Columbia.

Charleston absolutely rocks. Seems like half the people I know want to relocate there. While growing up I'd often go visit my relatives...I had an aunt and 3 uncles with extended families down there. One of my roommates in college had a folly beach house and another friend was from Sullivans' Island. I have spent so many hours fishing, and crabbing and boating and golfing and partying in Charleston. And occasionaly I work down there. Each area of town has a different atmosphere at night. Folly, Sullivans, Isle of Palms are all different from downtwon or mt Pleasant or hanahan.

I'm dating myself..but I always liked Bert's Bar on Sullivans Isle, the Windjammer on IoP. even the Sand Dollar on Folly or the Holiday Inn if you like yuppiedom..it used to be the only place to go if the Sand Dollar was packed. I've not spent much time around the CoC since it's a hike if you are staying on an island. But Charleston is definitely the best place to be single in the state.

That is true. I do confess that my girlfriend and I go to Greenville fairly often for that active nightlife. And I didn't really consider Clemson a major factor.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

To correct him...we go to Greenville, but not for "that" nightlife... we generally just go there to eat and when I can talk him into shopping. ;) I think we've been to one "gathering" of some sort at Furman. That's about it....we're not really the partying type I guess. :)

I love Charleston, but not for those reasons (parties and singles). It's just beautiful there. :) ...and I'm drawn to the beaches anyway. :)

Yeh..I should qualify this..I was a partier in my youth and the thread was on the single life. The best way to see Charleston is in a boat..but that didn't have much to do with singles. Favorite non-night life Charleston places: Fort Johnson, Morris Island, Folly Beach , Breech Inlet, Bushy Park, the Battery, Hollywood. Not too many singles around there but good solitude.

Spartan is a good sport to go shopping with you. I think one of the most painful activities known to man is clothes shopping with the girlfriend. Maybe this is why I'm single.

Charleston sounds great! I'd love to check it out! So where are the best places to be single, bars, bookstores, danceclubs? Is it all in one district or is spread out all over the area in many districts like mentioned above? If you had to choose 3 must see areas for "singles" where would you suggest for a 28 yo "yuppie"?

Spartan is a good sport to go shopping with you. I think one of the most painful activities known to man is clothes shopping with the girlfriend. Maybe this is why I'm single.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

LOL, that is the truth. I wish I heard this kind of thing from her more often ;) Why females insist of gaving so many shoes and clothes is beyond my comphrehension. But thats cool.

Comparing a half dozen different outfits..it's like running a couple of marathons or something. I mean how important is it to find the perfect outfit. Was it really worth 3 hours of time to buy one thing? Now having said that..I think women get ripped off on shopping far more than men. So maybe it's required to hunt for bargains..get the most bang for the buck,etc. I'm amazed at the stamina of some women..who can shop for 7 or 8 hours straight.

Here is another list of "best cities for singles" (Sperlings best cities for dating).

Again Charleston placed high on the list at number 6, Columbia was 14th.

Surprisingly though some of the typical cities you would think of being single havens did not score so high (Atlanta, Chicago, Miami).

Best Cities for Dating

1. Austin, TX

2. Colorado Springs, CO

3. San Diego, CA

4. Raleigh/Durham, NC

5. Seattle, WA

6. Charleston, SC

7. Norfolk, VA

8. Ann Arbor, MI

9. Springfield, MA

10. Honolulu, HI

Worst Cities for Dating

1. Kansas City, MO

2. Wichita, KS

3. Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN

4. Detroit, MI

5. Louisville, KY

6. Greensboro/Winston-Salem, NC

7. Atlanta, GA

8. Pittsburgh, PA

9. Houston, TX

10. Charlotte, NC

Here's the entire list

Best cities for dating

>Worst Cities for Dating

>6. Greensboro/Winston-Salem, NC

>10. Charlotte, NC

Wow, they pound the triad and the queen city for worst places!

Wonder why?!

Wilmington and fayetteville should be up there since its hard to find any single women.

Knowing when i used to go to Myrtle Beach all the time (when i was single), ive found it to be one of the best places to find single women as well as Charleston.

I am young and Single and have lived in Both Greenville and Charleston and Clemson in the last 2 years. And I prefer Greenville over Charleston. IF I were the partying type I would say Charleston is your place.

But Greenville has plenty of young people to Furman, North Greenville, Greenville Tech, USC Upstate, etc. there are plenty of schools that keep young people in down. And if you go downtown you will see that Greenville has it's scene too. Granted Charlestons is bigger and better, but I just myself like the pace of life in Greenville better.

In Charleston the Traffic is worse, Drivers drive worse, people aren't are polite, everything is a race issue, and their are even less jobs.

In the end, I still LOVE charlston, but I love Greenville more and I find for me being young and single works out better here.

I concur completely with Brad Toy. To be honest, Greenville is often spoken of as one of the most "scenic" cities new transplants to the area have ever been. I know countless people who have come here, stayed, and are now actively involved in several community networks.

I have been to both Columbia and Charleston on several occasions, but my experiences in these cities have never matched the truly high quality outings I regularly experience in Greenville. There are more things for young singles to do here than there is time to take them all in. :blush:

• 3 weeks later...

Archived