Whittier Hotel to be renovated, condos to be built

Allan

Whittier Hotel renovation among $202M in brownfield projects receiving tax credits

By Jennette Smith

Dec. 14, 2004 3:50 PM

Tax credits supporting at least $202 million in residential redevelopment in Detroit and Taylor have been approved, Gov. Jennifer Granholm announced Tuesday.

The projects include the previously announced renovation of the Whittier Hotel site in Detroit into apartments and retail, along with two projects in Detroit and Taylor.

Detroit-based Phoenix Communities plans to convert the 15-story Whittier into a $66 million development of 80 apartments. River Park Village Senior Apartments Limited Dividend Housing Association L.P. plans to renovate two eight-story towers on the northern half of the hotel site into a $29.8 million project of senior apartments, loft-style apartments and retail. Melvin Washington is the registered agent for both entities.

A news release from Granholm also details two other projects. At 8344 East Jefferson in Detroit, Bloomfield Hills-based 8344 East Jefferson L.L.C. plans to construct a $27 million condominium, retail and restaurant project. The registered agent of 8344 is Christopher Hajek.

Finally, a former landfill in Taylor is slated to be redeveloped into a residential project by MJC Carrington Village L.L.C., an affiliate of Macomb Township-based MJC. Cos. The 123-acre site is to include $80 million of housing.

All four projects are considered brownfield redevelopments and were among 10 economic-development projects announced by Granholm Tuesday.

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/c gi-bin/news.pl?newsId=5074

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wonderful news! My parents had their wedding reception their in 1955 when it was a very nice upscale place. The photos on the lobby and main hall are beautiful. Last time I was in their it was a senior nursing home, and it was really run down. And how about its location!!!? Right on the riverfront This will be a winner if the renovations and done right. Fingers crossed!

- BR

I am so glad it is getting renovated. I'd post pics, but I have yet to get any. I went to take some once and a guard immediately came up to me and told me that I had to leave. Not that I am complaining...imagine what would happen if it wasn't guarded...Bye bye Whittier, hello grass lot!

The building is at an excellent location. I wonder what the rents will be like....

Archived