Gellerstedt's 40-50 story building

Chachi

Gellerstedt has proposed a 40-50 story multi-use building in the Centennial Hill area (in what has become known as "Block 3"), across the street from where Coke plans to build its new World of Coca-Cola. Gellerstedt doesn't want to start building until he can get some sort of cooperation from Coca-Cola. Do you think this building will ever get off the planning board? A picture of the building made the front page of the AJC about a week ago. What's you opinion?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to the forum Chachi!

I think it could. Atlanta has seen alot of major projects in the past year move forward (symphony tower comes to mind). So I see no reason why it wouldn't.

Any chance you could post that picture?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's the building on the left. The one on the right was an old concept.

5b21c0a7.jpg

It would be nice to have a major housing devolopment within downtown especially with the size of the new proposal for block three. i think that it has a good chance of actually happening due to the resurgence of activity in the centinial hill area. all of the focus on tourism,street level retail, and overall resurgence to the downtown area create the right formula for revival. a development like this invites young working class people back into the city so they can take marta to work or even walk while enjoying city life. Also the planned clean up in parts of downtown especially underground would also help moving the clubs and bars to this area and getting rid of the dangerous aspect of downtown. in recent years moves have been taken to tear down places such as capitol homes and eventually grady homes to prepare for a renewel. i am experiencing this first hand since my father owns two buisnesses inbetween these two projects and is now just waiting for the right offer to sell to developers. hopefully it will happen it is just what downtown needs

i just talked to a friend involved with a firm that said that block 3 is encouraged by Ted Turner and involves his personal interest obviously being in his area of town and wanting a more ocupated area and it seemed like Ted was supporting the larger of the two but thats just what i heard so who knows...

• 2 weeks later...

With Nouve's 1000 unit development due to break ground in a few months, I imagine you will see many of the residential developments hold off a little while to see how quickly those units are soaked up. It's already caused a few delays, including Coke's expected project because of the number of units it's dumping on the market in the relatively (compared to Buckhead and midtown anyway) condo market in DT. I have no doubts the Nouve tower will be a huge success and will lead to a lot of these other projects kicking off.

Two Marta stations: Peachtree Center and the station just north of that, which escapes me now.

The MARTA station is Civic Center.

• 2 weeks later...

i just talked to a friend involved with a firm that said that block 3 is encouraged by Ted Turner and involves his personal interest obviously being in his area of town and wanting a more ocupated area and it seemed like Ted was supporting the larger of the two but thats just what i heard so who knows...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not surprised that Ted Turner is involved in this project, or at least his money is. (He still has a substantial sum, even after AOL-Time Warner's stock fell through the floor.)

The Gellerstedt group management team is comprised of principals who have had long careers in upper management of major Atlanta area development and construction companies. Here's a link if you're interested in looking for yourself: http://www.gellerstedtgroup.com

Block 3 is described on this website as being in the "pre-development stages."

Archived