Business Journal contents

vicupstate

Lane closures and detours will be done only between 10 p.m. and 5 a.m. to minimize traffic disruption.  :rofl:

A scheduled completion of 2010,lets see,that should be done around 2012 :thumbsup:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:blink: Why are you laughing about doing lane closures at 10pm-5am? I think that is EXACTLY what EVERY road construction project should do. It is stupid to do road construction during the day when all it does is increase traffic congestion. Doing it throughout the night WILL minimize traffic disruption.

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not much new in the issue today.

Mickey Miller , the City of Orlando CFO has been hired for the same position in Jax.

There is an article on Springfield, but not really any new info.

The editorial is about the Intelligent Transportation Sytem, which is a system of computers to regulate traffic.

There is a table of the % increase in Medium Home Values in numerous cities.

Jax ranked high with 15.7% from 2003-2004

others listed:

Miami 25.5

Atlanta 3.1

Boston 9.4

Chicago 2.7

Houston 2.0

LA 23.7

Philly 15.6

Raleigh 5.5

San Fran. 14.3

DC 26.9

New orleans 10.5

Southern average 8.0

US average 8.8

Living in the city

The hot housing market is boosting downtown areas around the country, and spreading into some parts of cities that have waited a long time for revitalization.

Take Boston. For the past few years it's been one of the country's hottest urban real estate markets. Now private developers are reaching into a part of the city that was previously the specialty of community development corporations and nonprofits.

Experts are thinking Roxbury may be the next frontier for Boston developers. "I clearly think Roxbury is an up-and-coming area of development," developer Steve Samuels said.

But it's not just the biggest markets like Boston. Buffalo, long a poster city for urban depopulation, expects a push to repopulate its core. A recently-completed study shows downtown Buffalo has a real opportunity to grow residential units.

"In the mid-90s, downtown Buffalo looked like a strike out," said report author Laurie Volk. "Today, it looks like the city is standing on second base."

According to the study, downtown Buffalo can absorb about 375 new apartments or condos a year.

"People started believing in the new Buffalo," said Mayor Anthony Masiello.

But how about the new Jacksonville or Charlotte or Memphis?

The booming cities of the New South have turned their attention to core urban areas, after years of suburban-style development. In Jacksonville, that's bringing a renaissance to Springfield, an early suburb of the inner city.

"In the last three years especially, we've absolutely seen revitalization in leaps and bounds," said Louise DeSpain, president of the Springfield Preservation & Revitalization Council Inc. "New business is coming in, new families are coming in, new houses are being built and more of the grand old homes are being restored. It's an urban area people want to live in and work in."

Memphis has seen booming growth in its downtown, about 10.4 percent population increase from 2000-2004, and that's expected to continue with the announcement by Beazer Homes USA of yet another new development. Beazer's plan is to build 204 units downtown.

"Looking at the projections for Downtown, who wouldn't want to go down there?" says Jennifer Wallace, marketing manager for Beazer's Memphis division. "What's drawing us there are the statistics, the market and the demand."

Lots of interesting stuff in today's issue.

A special section on Downtown includes a map of current projects, an interview with UP.org's own Tony A. (The Urban Core). Plus an article on the Landing and DVI.

Cover story on the Park Place building on Hemming Plaza. It is undergoing some renovations and will soon go on the market. Improv Jax is happy in their new location there (basement).

Plus on the 26th a major initiative is being announced regarding revitialization of urban neighborhoods. Several foundations and businesses have lined up behind the effort. It sounds like some serious money is behind this effort. Operation New hOPE, the Weaver foundation, DuPont foundation, are just some of the groups involved.

You might want to pick up this iseue.

IN DEPTH: DOWNTOWN

RSS Feeds | Reprints | E-mail Alerts | Printable Version | Email Story

From the April 22, 2005 print edition

City's new Downtown guru focused on creating fireworks

Ann Luce

Staff Writer

DOWNTOWN -- Tony Allegretti is Mayor John Peyton's man to keep that Super Bowl buzz alive in the center city now that the big game is a memory.

Allegretti, who was recently named Peyton's Downtown promoter, is no stranger to Downtown. He was a consultant with Venture Resources, a development and consulting firm for Downtown, and a consultant for Downtown Vision Inc., which promotes growth in the center city.

Read the rest here

It seems that Allegretti should run for mayor!! This guy is really on the ball and has a true passion for Downtown. The Fourth of July festival sounds great!! Hopefully the four 'o' clock alcohol sales ordinance will pass to keep people down there after the fireworks.

That was a great article! If only more people could invest in downtown like TUC. I wish I could be in Jax for that July 4th thing. Also, I noticed this:

About 1,200 housing units have been built Downtown. An extra 800 are under way. By 2010, the city would like to see 10,000 units. By 2007, the city would also like to see 4,000 companies doing business Downtown.

I knew about that 10,000 goal, but I hadn't heard of this 4,000 companies goal. That's awesome, and it would really fill up the office vacancies in downtown. I wonder how many companies there are already?

It seems that Allegretti should run for mayor!!  This guy is really on the ball and has a true passion for Downtown.  The Fourth of July festival sounds great!!  Hopefully the four 'o' clock alcohol sales ordinance will pass to keep people down there after the fireworks.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'd definately vote for him. I can't wait to see what ideas he comes up with.

Thanks all. You should see some guts of our program(s) soon. The Fourth of July thing will be public/private. I am trying to tie in all of the great stuff happening with some initiatives that the city can get out without spending much.

Be ready to hit the riverwalk...

again, thanks

Archived