Orlando media wants Jacksonville's Jaguars

bobliocatt

The school is run like a corporation. Profitability is the bottom line.

They have tradition in the other Florida cities, as well. For instance, most of FAM's alumni live in Miami/South Florida. The SOA (School of Architecture) Masters program, also works very closely with the city of Jacksonville and the local AIA chapter.

Anyway, just seeing what has occurred at the school over the past decade, I can assure you the Rattler administration only cares about who is willing to pay them the most money, for whatever the issue may be.

Just look at the law school itself. It was orginally planned for Orlando and then all of a sudden, the school turned it into a bidding war when Lakeland, Tampa & Daytona got interested, thus forcing Orlando to sweeten the pot.

• 5 weeks later...

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Probably because the city is considered a part of the Tampa Bay Bucs local market. Since the NFL isn't planning to expand anytime soon (outside of LA) without the Bucs relocating to the city, I think its chances of being the home to a NFL team is pretty much equates to a snowball's chance of survival in hell.

• 2 weeks later...

Probably because the city is considered a part of the Tampa Bay Bucs local market.  Since the NFL isn't planning to expand anytime soon (outside of LA) without the Bucs relocating to the city, I think its chances of being the home to a NFL team is pretty much equates to a snowball's chance of survival in hell.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I thought this was an interesting topic. Being that I LOVE Jacksonville, and wish that my hometown followed Jax as an example of a great city, I would be very discouraged if the Jags ever left there to go to Orlando. But Lakelander is right, Orlando is much too close to the Tampa Bay market. Orlando would have to triple its own area's population to be in contention for another NFL team.

That Orlando editorial is just a citizen being zealous for his city. However, he does need to get his numbers right before publishing his article. In Southern cities, you are always going to have a tougher time selling out stadiums, especially in Florida. There are too many things to do year-round in this part of the country, whereas in the Northern cities, people eat and breathe football because that's all they can do with the weather being so cold! :D

• 2 weeks later...

This is actually just Mike Bianchi being a jerk. He got fired by the Times-Union and moved down the road, and now he wants his football team to do the same and he's never been above making things up. That's why he got fired.

Seriously, does he or anyone think Orlando could put more butts in the seats than Jacksonville can? We were in the middle of the NFL for attendance last year, in the smallest market.

With the Bucs a little more than an hour away and metro Orlando's current size, a NFL franchise would have big problems putting fans in the seats. What Orlando, is and needs to continue doing, is focus on keeping & supporting the Magic. Since the Jags enjoy better home support than the Bucs and half the league, its a waste of time to even think about the possiblity of relocating them.

With the Bucs a little more than an hour away and metro Orlando's current size, a NFL franchise would have big problems putting fans in the seats.  What Orlando, is and needs to continue doing, is focus on keeping & supporting the Magic.  Since the Jags enjoy better home support than the Bucs and half the league, its a waste of time to even think about the possiblity of relocating them.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree. Orlando needs to worry about getting a new arena built so that they can keep the Magic. While butts are being put into the seats at Alltel, the Jag fans are still apathetic about the team and who can blame them. The Jaguars still have appeal among the fans in the metro, but it's not as big as it was 5 years ago. People have other options and its showing. That's part of having a sports franchise in Florida.

Bianchi wasn't fired, he actually took a promotion to go work at the "Slantinel". Love him or hate him, Bianchi was the most read sports writer in the FTU before he left. The Slantinel hired him away for more money.

That being said, he always has had a propensity for stirring things up where alot of time, there isn't really the interest to back up what he's stirring. It's never stopped him before and I don't think it ever will stop him... it's kinda like his signature, so to speak.

Orlando getting the Jaguars? Don't make me laugh. Orlando supporting the Jaguars? I already am laughing at that. Jacksonville won't lose the team... they put more butts in the seats than over half the league, and this in the league's smallest market (Green Bay includes Milwaukee), with a team that until this year, hadn't had a winning season since 1999. That's called loyalty. I live in Atlanta. Here, you spell loyalty V-I-C-K. If Atlanta had 1/10th the support for their football team that Jacksonville did, maybe people would be able to name a 2nd player on the Falcons team around here. HINT: Deion Sanders does not still play for the team, much to the dismay of many fans here in Atlanta, as that is usually the 2nd player they name when you ask them.

Sure, the fans may be more apathetic now... that's always the case when your team isn't winning, and due to salary cap hell, the Jags hogtied themselves these past few years. I still wouldn't trade the Jags fan support for any other team in Florida right now (except for UF, perhaps, but that's college). If Orlando wants the NFL, they can drive to three different Florida cities to go see a game. :->

You're right about Bianchi, he is just a gadfly and is not to be taken seriously. As to Jacksonville being the smallest market, Green Bay is at least an hour or more north of Milwaukee (I went to Milwaukee last summer) and I am quite sure that we have passed Buffalo by now in the population of our MSA. We will probably pass New Orleans too sometime around 2010. So, this small market stuff will soon be put to rest.

You're right about Bianchi, he is just a gadfly and is not to be taken seriously.  As to Jacksonville being the smallest market, Green Bay is at least an hour or more north of Milwaukee (I went to Milwaukee last summer) and I am quite sure that we have passed Buffalo by now in the population of our MSA.  We will probably pass New Orleans too sometime around 2010.  So, this small market stuff will soon be put to rest.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree, no doubt. Jacksonville will pass NO probably in the next 3 years and I'm sure it has already passed Buffalo which has had a declining population. This whole thing about small market stuff should be put into its proper context when people talk about sports. Jacksonville may be one of the smallest markets in the NFL, but consider that the 32 teams in the NFL are among the top 60 Nielson Media markets in the country. That is out of 210 DMAs so that is remarkable by itself. In the realworld, outside of football, Jacksonville is a medium sized television market that is far, far, far from small, but in the context of 32 teams it is one of the smallest. I think people tend to overlook that when they talk about sports teams.

RiversideGator, nice list. To my knowledge, we have passed Memphis as well so we are definelty one or two markets behind New Orleans. At our current rate and their current rate, we may pass NO, Milwaukee, Providence, VB/Norfolk, Nashville, Columbus and Indy by 2020 or before.

NFL May Be In Orlando In The Next 10 Years

By WDBO's: Mike Synan

03/08/2005

Get ready for the N-F-L, but don't take a deep breath and hold it until it gets here. The director of Florida Citrus Sports says the city will get a pro football team if it rebuilds the Citrus Bowl.

:37 std

wdbo.com :blink: I just stumbled on this going to listen to some online politics.

1  They are trying to significantly rebuild the Citrus Bowl.

2  On average, the Orlando metro salaries per person are higher than the state average.

What is all this freakin' hate for Orlando lately?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's not hate. It's realism. Orlando is sitting between two, count them, two NFL markets. Both markets are not more than 2hrs from Orlando. No matter how much the Citrus Bowl is renovated it cannot compete with newer NFL stadiums. Orlando's politicians don't want to spend 300 million to build a new stadium. Put all of those factors together and what do you? The answer is clear.

Just a comment on "average" payscale and Orlando's vs Jacksonville's. One of the differences of a tourism economy vs a business economy.

According to PayScale on http://www.payscale.com/salary-survey/vid-83770/fid-6886 Jacksonville ranks only behind Miami in the Median salary by City chart near the middle of the page for FL.

Considering that Jacksonville is a nicer place than Orlando, I dont get the "shot". But, there is no reason to insult. Perhaps I was too harsh earlier. Both cities have their positives and negatives and I think everyone should be proud of where they are from. I just believe that there should be an Eleventh Commandment for cities: "Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's NFL team".

Archived