Orlando media wants Jacksonville's Jaguars

bobliocatt

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK. If you refuse to accept the reasonable peace offering, I will go ahead and say that Orlando is an hot, inland hellhole with little or no natural beauty and no history. It's only reason to exist is tourists who take their kids to stupid amusement parks. It is Sprawlando and is a pretty pathetic excuse for a city. How about that?

Come on that's not necessary. There's several unique things about Orlando. The landscape of Central Florida is littered with freshwater lakes and the area is the original home of the Florida Citrus industry. Its also has a developing technology industry.

Although its inland, only about a 45 minute drive to an hour from both coasts, which makes for a very unique setting and location. Then it is what it is. Its the theme park capitol of the World. Catering to so many tourist allows it to support an abundance of hotels, restaurants, retail shops that blue collar cities like Jax can only dream of. There's no reason to be ashamed of it, tourism is definately big business.

It reminds me a lot of Charlotte, another landlocked up & coming city. I've got no hate for O-town, especially since I grew up only 20 minutes from Disney. All I want to see is the area finally get a light rail system. With all the tourist, I think it could attract more ridership than several others being built or planned right now.

OK.  If you refuse to accept the reasonable peace offering, I will go ahead and say that Orlando is an hot, inland hellhole with little or no natural beauty and no history.  It's only reason to exist is tourists who take their kids to stupid amusement parks.  It is Sprawlando and is a pretty pathetic excuse for a city.  How about that?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm sensing a very strong inferiority complex. As a Jax poster once said, that's how you guys get things done up there. :rofl: Have you seen a doctor about that?

OK, guys. Take it outside. First one back in wins.

To be honest, Jax doesn't have the tourist industry of Orlando and Orlando doesn't have the business centers of Jax.

One thing Jax has over Orlando is the Jags, granted Orlando has the Magic.

Orlando is unfortunately located between 3 NFL markets and by NFL TV market rules, Orlando will probably never get an NFL team.

It also happens that Jax has a very modern stadium that is SuperBowl worthy and orlando does not and it would take a lot to get one in Orlando from what I read of the conflicts between city and county.

Weaver has also gone on record as saying he will never move the Jags, period.

So as much as many citizens in Orlando would like, they are not situated for a team and no one wants to move a team there. Especially with no stadium.

I'm sensing a very strong inferiority complex. As a Jax poster once said, that's how you guys get things done up there.  :rofl: Have you seen a doctor about that?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm sorry, but I think its the opposite. Why is it that the Orlando Sentinal rips into Jacksonville every single chance it gets, even to the point that it sometimes has to make a story where there isn't one. It seems everything Jax does, Orlando has something negative to say about it.

Sorry, did not mean to feed this either. I am in Orlando pretty frequently, and find there are a great deal of items that exist there in concentrations that do not exist anywhere else I have ever been. I have friends that live in Thornton Park, and find it a great area, just one of many I am sure. The challenge I see in Orlando for the stadium and other government infrastructure development rests on the tax base and government structure.

The Tax base because the city of Orlando had a population of 185,951 (City only) in the 2000 census. This limits what funds are available to the city as it does not appear that much of the local infrastructure (ie hotels) that supports Disney or even some for Universal are in city limits to provide direct revenue (just from where I have seen the City Limits sign).

With Orange County having a population of 946,484 (2002 sorry only number at my fingertips fast) and a primary focus on the tourist industry (highly lucrative I will admit) it makes it a difficult place to start discussions.

This is where Jax has the advantage to fund, and approve items. There is the higher tax base (735617 in the 2000 census) for the "city" and then the unified government structure does wonders for progress (but sometimes no check and balance that other places have). While the stadium was not built with BJP funds, I think that program presents a great way to get people with diverse interests to support a plan. There may be a few things here and there people do not like, but in general there is something for everything.

The couple of times I have seen Orlando do this was for much more specific items, such as for schools only or for Transportation only. If they could group a lot of those items together and then harness all the sales tax (if local option still available) people are spending in the county to pay for it, they could do wonders. (Of course the needs are different, but there are infrastructure, and civic projects there in need of work) But first is getting both entities to agree on a list of things that everyone could get behind, then adding a few items that are more specialized such as the Arena or Citrus Bowl. I know I am not saying anything new to all of you, just a newer voice on here.

I wish Orlando luck, because of course the more people coming to Florida in general keeps the state coffers flowing and of course Orlando is the major tourist draw to the state.

It is nice to live in a state with so many vibrant cities, especially considering it is only going to speed up for us all. And as each city gets stronger, each with a unique feel and things to offer but also each close enough to get to the others for the items that they offer.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the words of encouragement, Richjagr! The numbers you broke down speak for themselves. Yes, Orlando only has about 200K ppl (latest local estimate), although its metro is close to 2M and it is the 22nd largest TV market in the nation (Orlando, Daytona, Melbourne combined by Nielsen). Sadly though, Orlando will NEVER win an NFL expansion team...EVER. And we've already heard why from the other nice posters in here; Orl is between Tampa & Jax and is considered part of BOTH markets. Maybe the reason Bianchi wrote that article, is because most of us here in Orlando are torn between who to cheer for. Tampa or Jacksonville? The Bucs or The Jags? Personally, I'm a 49ers fan!

The point is, Orlando will be just fine with or without a major sports team. The world will not end, the sky will not fall, and maybe the money that would have been spent on that pretty new football stadium could be better used to solve more important problems in this city; traffic and crumbling schools. I'd rather see a new freeway and school in this city over a stadium/arena any day!!!

"Covet thy neighbor" and "Disney moving up to Jax"??? :rofl:

Personally, I really don't covet ANYTHING Jax has and I'd love it if Disney packed up all those Goofy Hat wearing yahoos, and tacky Hotels and moved them right up to Jax! Jax can also take the traffic, crime, pollution, and utter horrible urban sprawl. Not to mention a lack of local County political backbown to pressure the tourist industry to pay their fare share and a total disregard for the needs of local citizens. Also the cavernous Orange County convention center would fit quite nicely next to the St. Johns River. Take it, Jax! You can have it, as far as this Orlando native is concerned!

Talk about "covetting thy neighbor", Jax...get over it. Disney, to my (and I'm sure a lot of other Orlandoan's) dismay, is going nowhere! :sick:

"Covet thy neighbor" and "Disney moving up to Jax"???  :rofl:

Personally, I really don't covet ANYTHING Jax has and I'd love it if Disney packed up all those Goofy Hat wearing yahoos, and tacky Hotels and moved them right up to Jax! Jax can also take the traffic, crime, pollution, and utter horrible urban sprawl. Not to mention a lack of local County political backbown to pressure the tourist industry to pay their fare share and a total disregard for the needs of local citizens. Also the cavernous Orange County convention center would fit quite nicely next to the St. Johns River. Take it, Jax! You can have it, as far as this Orlando native is concerned!

Talk about "covetting thy neighbor", Jax...get over it. Disney, to my (and I'm sure a lot of other Orlandoan's) dismay, is going nowhere! :sick:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Are you serious! We'll take it if Jax won't!

I believe that there was talk in the 60s about putting Disney in NE FL and it wasnt met with a great reception. I can honestly say, and this isnt a slam on Orlando, that I wouldnt want Disney in Jacksonville. I wouldnt mind a little more tourism here, but I wouldnt want the mass tourism that Orlando experiences. It produces a lot of problems, in my opinion.

HA! Miami turned down Disney and im pretty proud of it. They wanted to build in the area that is now the port of Miami, parts of Midtown and the whole bay area between miami beach and downtown. Imagine Miami today if that were to have a happened. The major u.s. city in Florida would have been Tampa

I came to this conclusion because the whole financial center for miami would have been DISNEYTIZED. Hence no cruise ship industry and no downtown the way it is now. As such the only logical conclusion would be that the current number 2 in florida would be number 1

Archived