World Famous Bricktown

DHall

For those sad sags who have never been to Bricktown, as Little Rock resident, it is awesome.

#05%20-%20Bricktown%20Ballpark%20Sign.jpg

Bricktown-Ballpark-Trolley-Stop.gif

SBCBricktownBallpark-430.jpg

The all new 35,000 seat capacity SBC Bricktown Ballpark. But that is not even half of Bricktown.

okc_map.jpg

Map of Bricktown.

54312.bmp

Bricktown Canal.

Image-9913B11E73C211D7.jpg-thumb_269_202.jpg

Sonic's new headquarters, no telling how tall it will be bacause it is just started.

tour01.jpg

This looks like where I wanna go after a hard day. If only I lived in OKC.

tour03sm.jpg

See the architecture of those buildings, and how carefully restored?!?

imageG0V.JPG

They also build new buildings like JDM Place, but they must look historical, and follow the Centennial Commission's guidelines.

basspro_detail.jpg

The caption provided by the city is true. Major changes will hit Bricktown, including re-routing I 40, the Crosstown Expy further south to open up more land.

I have more, I'm going to let dialogue happen first though, I don't want a huge post.

David.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Indianapolis did the same thing. It's pretty cool though. There are a ton of museums, memorials, attractions and hotels that are all connected by the canal.

There is also the baseball park, convention center and a basketball hall of fame either on, or within shouting distance from the canal.

If only cities with a real river got as much mileage out of their river, as the cities that create their own waterway. Right, Lakelander :thumbsup:

Well, the City Council of Oklahoma City is currently damming up the dried-up North Canadian River, which runs south of downtown, and ranks as the metro's worst eye sore. In the 50's this was a beautiful river full of activity, and dotted with boardwalks. After the downtown floods of 1953-1958 that devastated the city, the national governemnt recognized the problems, and took steps to dam it off, and direct all water into the newly created Lake Hefner (created to train pitols to land on water, now a metro hot spot). The canal and the river will connect, and the river, like the canal has it's water taxi's, will be navigated by old timey steamboat ferries. From the State Capitol Complex, to the Meridian Ave. restaraunt corridor, will be an intracate system of boats and water taxi's. Along this area, is a proposed NFL stadium (which I am completely sure will be the 4th to fall through the cracks) atleast 3 boardwalks, the famous stockyards (nation's largest, 4th oldest) Downtown, Bricktown, and the Meridan Ave. Corridor. I can't think of a better location for a tourist draw. The only reason I am certain this project won't fall through the cracks like everything else in Oklahoma (see about the Mills Mall, which still leaves people bitter) because it is already mostly complete (or according to Little Rock Times). I'll see if I can get some pics about this.

David.

Sorry for the double reply, I have some pictures of the Oklahoma River now...

The river itself looks pretty fake... but it will look better once they develop some more parks, and river attractions like Tulsa's Riverside Blvd.

riverfront.jpg

Sadly there are not many pics of a river under construction...

But I will update this, and next time I am in OKC I will take some pics for myself.

main.jpg

Well, there this beast is, I thought it would be taller, judging from their previous headquarters with about 15 floors, 3 or 4 blocks west in downtown. I suppose they kept it. I believe that dirt in the background is a new shopping mall, I will have to consult ym Little Rock Times on that one though...

oldmain.jpg

Nice view of what I think is Calaifornia Ave.

smdeepdeuce.jpg

Arial View.

• 6 months later...

Bricktown looks pretty impressive.........sort of reminds me of san antonio with the canal in the city.

So simcity empire was banned? lol....before he even saw the Arkansas forum

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah it's a shame he didn't get to see the Arkansas forum.

That just depends on how you define 'south'.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i don't think we're really south. then again i don't think arkansas is really the south either. i tend to think georgia and states like that are the "south". here we usually here ourselves clumped in with the southwest.

main.jpg

Well, there this beast is, I thought it would be taller, judging from their previous headquarters with about 15 floors, 3 or 4 blocks west in downtown. I suppose they kept it. I believe that dirt in the background is a new shopping mall, I will have to consult ym Little Rock Times on that one though...

oldmain.jpg

Nice view of what I think is Calaifornia Ave.

smdeepdeuce.jpg

Arial View.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

actually the dirt behind the sonic building is a theater.

i don't think we're really south. then again i don't think arkansas is really the south either. i tend to think georgia and states like that are the "south". here we usually here ourselves clumped in with the southwest.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is one of those issues that comes up over and over again. Personally, I consider Arkansas in the South, but Oklahoma is more Midwest or South Central (for lack of a better term). I think it gets put in the South because its makes for easier lines on a map :)

• 2 weeks later...

This is one of those issues that comes up over and over again. Personally, I consider Arkansas in the South, but Oklahoma is more Midwest or South Central (for lack of a better term). I think it gets put in the South because its makes for easier lines on a map :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah this is getting into an area that isn't quite do defined. For that matter I don't think northwest Arkansas is exactly overly 'southern' either. The southeast part of the state seems 'southern' some of the rest also. But not sure if there ever will be much of a 'mid-south' that will stand out culturally like much of the 'south' or southeast if you prefer.

Im not sure if a b&b would go well there b/c who would want to eat at the place they're staying when all the other available choices are right outside your door.  Who knows though.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

it could go well. it would be quite and intimate, a lot of people like that.

• 2 months later...

Archived