Auto Plants in your state?

Guest donaltopablo

Guest donaltopablo

Here in GA we have:

Ford - which builds the Taurus and Sable. Due for expansion and looking at 1500 acres further outside the city.

GM - Closed down.

Panoz - Builder of hand made speciality American cars based on Mustang Cobra chasis and engines. Also major race car builder.

Those are the only major ones I know of.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The auto industry may have largely left Michigan, but there are still quite a few here...at least for the time being. Flint may have lost more than 50,000 jobs because of GM's leaving, but there are still 22,000 automotive jobs left in Flint...although they too are quickly disappearing. Anyway, after much searching I finally found a list of what cities each manufacturer had plants in. And hopefully the list is accurate.

Ford Plants

Dearborn

Wayne

GM Plants

Detroit

Flint

Grand Blanc

Lake Orion

Lansing

Pontiac

Chrysler Plants

Detroit

Sterling Heights

Warren

Do you know what they build at each of those?

No, I haven't a clue. It took me long enough just to find the list of the different cities each company had manufacturing facilities in. I'll try to find out what they build at each when I get home.

• 6 months later...

The GM plant in Doraville closed down?

In Pennsylvania there used to be a Volkswagen plant, but it closed back in the late 1980's. As of now, there are no automotive plants in Pennsylvania.

Good news is, the old Volkswagen plant is now a Sony plant. If you buy a big-screen or high-definition TV from Sony, chances are it was built there. Sony has established its manufacturing and research base in Pennsylvania.

Guest donaltopablo

The GM plant in Doraville closed down?

In Pennsylvania there used to be a Volkswagen plant, but it closed back in the late 1980's. As of now, there are no automotive plants in Pennsylvania.

Good news is, the old Volkswagen plant is now a Sony plant. If you buy a big-screen or high-definition TV from Sony, chances are it was built there. Sony has established its manufacturing and research base in Pennsylvania.

Actually, I think the GM plant is back in business. They must have just idled for a while.

DBR hey now! . . . we have GM and Mitsubishi in Pittsburgh!

State, not sure but around the 'burgh . . .

GM has a big facility in Steel Valley (West Mifflin right down the road from the Bettis (US Navy) Atomic Labs)

http://www.county.allegheny.pa.us/economic.../M_1Page123.asp

West Mifflin's top employers: (south suburb in Steel Valley)

#1 Westinghouse (now Westinghouse-Siemens)

#2 US Steel

#3 GM Fisher Body Plant

mfe51to376f.JPG

Mitsubishi has a plant in the North suburbs. They make electronic and control components for cars.

VW did close up after about 20 or was it 25 years? Sony not only took it over but it is one of only four U.S. Technology Centers for SONY CORP. --not just a "factory" but labs and operational infrastructure.

Yeah, Spartanburg has the Bubba Makes Wheels plant.

Also, Charleston has been trying hard to get an auto plant, and I heard at one point that they were a finalist. I think the other site was in Oklahoma or something. Not sure what came of that. They also tried to land a new Chystler plant, but I think Savannah ended up with it.

Greenville has the new International Center For Automotive Research (ICAR) site which will hopefully turn out to be a huge R&D area. BMW is already planning on buliding there.

It is often compared to the Triangle Research Park in Raleigh-Durham in terms of scale.

Archived