Is Atlanta the most Important City in the South

thumper

Is Atlanta the most important City in the South. i.e. The Capital of the South?  

126 members have voted

1. 1. Is Atlanta the most important City in the South. i.e. The Capital of the South?

• No
    • Yes

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

perhaps the question should be: if Atlanta is NOT the captial of the south, then which city is?

Why can't anyone accept that there is no "Most Important City" or "Capitol of the South"? How could anyone possibly call the South's 5th largest metro, the most important? We just don't have a city like Chicago, NYC, or Los Angeles that totally dominates its region.

I for one have always thoguht og it that way. I live closer to Charlotte than Atlanta (Spartanburg)- so I look to Charlotte for my big city activities, then to Atlanta if Charlotte doesn't have it for some reason. But Altanta's influence regionally cannot be denied. It is a major hub of activity in the region. Maybe not for the entire South, but for a very large section of it: All of GA, and most of Alabama (not all), some of SC, some of northern FL, probably some of western NC and probably some southern secitons of TN. Atlanta is the largest city/metro/whatever for about 500 miles in all directions.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Most of the south, doesn't even live in this mostly rural area of the southern region. For example, Florida's population alone, almost is the same as Georgia's, Alabama's & South Carolina's combined.

No, Atlanta's not even on the radar in Florida. I'm sure people in places like Houston, Dallas, New Orleans, Norfolk, DC, Richmond, Louisville, Memphis, Little Rock, etc. will tell you the same thing. Its definately the Capitol of Georgia, but it never was and will never be the Capitol of the South or most important city.

You and a lot of people don't consider Florida a part of the South but it is. Regionally and culturally it is Southern. It seems like a lot of people in the Southern sections of these threads have hate towards Florida, but that hate does not somehow translate into excluding it from the region all together.

You and a lot of people don't consider Florida a part of the South but it is.  Regionally and culturally it is Southern.  It seems like a lot of people in the Southern sections of these threads have hate towards Florida, but that hate does not somehow translate into excluding it from the region all together.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I dont hate florida, I like florida. I don't like the south. Maybe thats why I dont consider florida to be the south. Maybe some northern parts of it are tho.

While I agree that Atlanta may not be perceived as the "Capital of the South" it is more important to ask what type of capital? While it may not be the cultural capital of the South, it certainly is the economic capital of the region. Given the influence of the Federal Reserve Bank and the sheer number of Fortune 500 firms HQ'd in the Atlanta Metro it is a very strong contender as the capital of the South. Furthermore the city is viewed globally as the preferred office location for int'l firms seeking to do business in the Southern U.S. Charlotte may be the banking capital and Florida may have a larger population, but as far as investment dollars are concerned, Atlanta is King of the South.

perhaps the question should be: if Atlanta is NOT the captial of the south, then which city is?

I for one have always thoguht og it that way. I live closer to Charlotte than Atlanta (Spartanburg)- so I look to Charlotte for my big city activities, then to Atlanta if Charlotte doesn't have it for some reason. But Altanta's influence regionally cannot be denied. It is a major hub of activity in the region. Maybe not for the entire South, but for a very large section of it: All of GA, and most of Alabama (not all), some of SC, some of northern FL, probably some of western NC and probably some southern secitons of TN. Atlanta is the largest city/metro/whatever for about 500 miles in all directions. I would like to make it clear that I am fairly impartial here, as I like both cities. I have always thought of Atlanta as a capital city interms of its size and influnce. So I ask again, if a city had to be chosen for a capital of the South, which one would it be?

While I agree that Atlanta may not be perceived as the "Capital of the South" it is more important to ask what type of capital? While it may not be the cultural capital of the South, it certainly is the economic capital of the region. Given the influence of the Federal Reserve Bank and the sheer number of Fortune 500 firms HQ'd in the Atlanta Metro it is a very strong contender as the capital of the South. Furthermore the city is viewed globally as the preferred office location for int'l firms seeking to do business in the Southern U.S. Charlotte may be the banking capital and Florida may have a larger population, but as far as investment dollars are concerned, Atlanta is King of the South.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Before you can award the city, "The economic capitol of the south", how does it compare economically to similar sized metros, like Miami, Houston, Dallas, & DC?

Does anyone have any economic stats showing how all of the south's major cities match up, economically? It would be interesting to back opinions with facts.

I live in the South, but I've only been to Atlanta once, and I have no reason to go back (other than to tour it). Nashville fulfills my big city needs. There's an international airport, a twenty-first century shopping center, music venues, skyscrapers, and plenty of restaurants. I like Atlanta, but it just doesn't exert much influence on my life.

Atlanta is undoubtedly an important city, but it is not the most important city in the south nor is it the "capitol" of the south.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is such bull. Then tell me, what is the most important city in the south? Because there definetly is one. You cant just say there isn't one. Thats like saying that NYC isn't the most important city in the US cuz there isn't one.

That is such bull. Then tell me, what is the most important city in the south? Because there definetly is one. You cant just say there isn't one. Thats like saying that NYC isn't the most important city in the US cuz there isn't one.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Once again, why do people believe that the south has to have a most important city, especially Atlanta, considering its the fourth largest (metro area & urban area) behind Dallas, Miami, Houston & DC. Can anyone post some facts and not opinions showing that Atlanta is head and shoulders above every other city in the south? And please, don't ever attempt to compare any city in the south to NYC.

Once again, why do people believe that the south has to have a most important city, especially Atlanta, considering its the fourth largest (metro area & urban area) behind Dallas, Miami, Houston & DC.  Can anyone post some facts and not opinions showing that Atlanta is head and shoulders above every other city in the south?  And please, don't ever attempt to compare any city in the south to NYC.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not even one of those 4 cities is in the south! Miami is not the south, texas is not the south and DC is not the south. Sorry not gonna budge on this one.

Once again, why do people believe that the south has to have a most important city, especially Atlanta, considering its the fourth largest (metro area & urban area) behind Dallas, Miami, Houston & DC.  Can anyone post some facts and not opinions showing that Atlanta is head and shoulders above every other city in the south?  And please, don't ever attempt to compare any city in the south to NYC.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Atlanta is more central. Miami is way to the south, Dallas and Houston are to the west, and some would argue that DC isn't really in the SOuth (please don't do that in this thread though). Really Birmingham or Mongomery is more central to everyone that Atlanta.

I'd accept the arguement of a centered location, if this were 1880 and rail was the primary way to travel. Florida functioned just fine with Tallahassee as the state's capitol. The US has functioned just fine with DC as the capitol. Georgia, itself, has functioned just fine with Atlanta as the capitol.

On the other hand, despite not being on the "edge" of the region, as stated earlier, none of these places need or rely on Atlanta for anything. Since most of the south's population lives outside of Atlanta's influence, how can it be the listed above anyplace else?

While were on this topic, I'll take the position that the entire state of Georgia, itself, doesn't rotate around Atlanta. The coastal, low country region, including Savannah & Brunswick are more influenced and share more in common with Jacksonville, than they do with Atlanta.

I'd accept the arguement of a centered location, if this were 1880 and rail was the primary way to travel.  Florida functioned just fine with Tallahassee as the state's capitol.  The US has functioned just fine with DC as the capitol.  Georgia, itself, has functioned just fine with Atlanta as the capitol. 

On the other hand, despite not being on the "edge" of the region, as stated earlier, none of these places need or rely on Atlanta for anything.  Since most of the south's population lives outside of Atlanta's influence, how can it be the listed above anyplace else?

While were on this topic, I'll take the position that the entire state of Georgia, itself, doesn't rotate around Atlanta.  The coastal, low country region, including Savannah & Brunswick are more influenced and share more in common with Jacksonville, than they do with Atlanta.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm really getting sick of arguing about this. Those four cities are not in "The South," so as a result Atlanta IS the most important city in the sotuh. End of my argument.

I'm really getting sick of arguing about this. Those four cities are not in "The South," so as a result Atlanta IS the most important city in the sotuh. End of my argument.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i'm still waiting for the argument. So far its only been an opinion. What stats are you basing your opinion on? I'd seriously would like to know what you consider to be the south. Do you consider Atlanta as having an influence to people living Jacksonville, like myself? If so, why?

Anyway, I'd agree that Atlanta is the most important city in a southern region that only includes most of GA, and small parts of SC, TN & AL.

Archived