Is Atlanta the most Important City in the South

thumper

Is Atlanta the most important City in the South. i.e. The Capital of the South?  

126 members have voted

1. 1. Is Atlanta the most important City in the South. i.e. The Capital of the South?

• No
    • Yes

I made the point that in terms of business Atlanta IS the most important city in the south and said it was not debatable. You then stated that this thread shows that its clearly debateable. Im just responding that in fact my point has not been debated at all.
You are correct in that your point has not been debated at all. I'm sorry I jumped the gun on that one. I'm just so used to same old banter from Atlantans that I missed that detail and immediately gave what is becoming a stock response to this thread.

The CoC's may make such a statement because its a fact that the city can be proud.  And one that just so happens to be relevant to this discussion.  Why is it that people in Charlotte can be proud of their city but Atlantans cannot?

This routine is all too familiar and actually has a lot to do with that insecurity thing I tapped before.

Atlantans can be proud all they want, nobody is trying to say otherwise. What has been said thus far that would directly negate that? I certainly don't think it was anyone's intention. Any foul-speech previously in the thread is reciprocal--the door swings both ways. If you dish it out, you have to take it. Also, is there a particular reason you cite Charlotteans?

Seriously though, I believe something to the effect of "Atlanta is an awesome city" has been stated numerous times already by all parties.

If you'd like to start a thread regarding business presence, and whether or not Atlanta (or Atlanta metro!) is the largest single corporate leader in the "southeast" (defined however you wish), then I say go for it! :thumbsup:

To avoid confusion and manipulation of data (unless that is what you want), I would suggest you cast your vote as to whether or not Atlanta is the most important city in the south, then move on to your new poll if you wish to create it.

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why is it that people in Charlotte can be proud of their city but Atlantans cannot?

I made the point that in terms of business Atlanta IS the most important city in the south and said it was not debatable.  You then stated that this thread shows that its clearly debateable.  Im just responding that in fact my point has not been debated at all.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It is certainly debatable, because as you read back through this long thread, you find that Atlanta does not win in any economic category that you might want to count. Atlanta is important to GA, the rest of the South "Who Cares".

In regards to being proud, no one here has said you can't be proud of Atlanta, but crazed boosterism is another matter. Charlotte, like every other city in the South does not claim to be the Capital of the South. It does not even claim to be the capital of the carolinas yet it could be considered as much by many. (And the Carolinas is a greater economic entity than Georgia)

It is certainly debatable, because as you read back through this long thread, you find that Atlanta does not win in any economic category that you might want to count.  Atlanta is important to GA, the rest of the South "Who Cares". 

In regards to being proud, no one here has said you can't be proud of Atlanta, but crazed boosterism is another matter.  Charlotte, like every other city in the South does not claim to be the Capital of the South.  It does not even claim to be the capital of the carolinas yet it could be considered as much by many.  (And the Carolinas is a greater economic entity than Georgia)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Can you prove the last statement? I don't believe that at all. Atlanta is the economic powerhouse of the Southeast by far. No other city in the Southeast comes close to Atlanta, it is a fact. Charlotte is very important to the Southeast but only for banking. If Charlotte did not have the banking industry, Charlotte would not be anything. I like Charlotte a lot, but saying that Atlanta is not the most important city in the Southeast is nonsense.

Which statement are you referring to?  The Carolinas vs Georgia?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was referring to the Carolina vs Georgia statement. I didn't see that you said Carolinas. If the two are together than I would say yes. If it was just one of the Carolinas then I would say no. So you are right if it is both Carolinas together.

I was referring to the Carolina vs Georgia statement. I didn't see that you said Carolinas. If the two are together than I would say yes. If it was just one of the Carolinas then I would say no. So you are right if it is both Carolinas together.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually NC alone is equal to GA.

but saying that Atlanta is not the most important city in the Southeast is nonsense.

I dont think Atlanta is the most important city in the southeast.

Atlanta may be a great city,real great.But,as far as importance,I dont there is a really important city.I think its actually based on opinion.

My opinion is that New York is important (and Miami too!) :thumbsup:

That "handful" that is headquarted locally is actually 3rd behind only NY and Houston.  The sheer number of REGIONAL HQ is however is a very important economic benefit as well.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Top 10 Metropolitan Areas with Fortune 500 Headquarters in 2004

#1 New York - Northern New Jersey - Long Island (71)

#2 Chicago - Naperville - Joliet (31)

#3 Houston - Baytown - Sugarland (20)

#4 Los Angeles - Long Beach - Santa Ana (18)

#5 Minneapolis - St. Paul - Bloomington (18)

#6 Dallas - Fort Worth - Arlington (17)

#7 Detroit - Warren - Livonia (16)

#8 Philadelphia - Camden - Wilmington (15)

#9 Washington - Arlington - Alexandria (15)

#10 Atlanta - Sandy Springs - Marietta (14)

Looks like Atlanta is actually 4th in the south.

Number of Fortunes 500 Headquarters for southern states:

Texas - 44

Virginia - 18

Georgia - 16

North Carolina - 14

Florida 13

Tennessee - 7

Arkansas - 5

Alabama - 2

South Carolina - 1

Archived