Is Atlanta the most Important City in the South

thumper

Is Atlanta the most important City in the South. i.e. The Capital of the South?  

126 members have voted

1. 1. Is Atlanta the most important City in the South. i.e. The Capital of the South?

• No
    • Yes

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would have NC through Texas, not including florida. I would have the capitol be Nashville. It has a great diverse economy and is growing fairly quickly. Many buisnesses are rrelocating to nashville. Nasvhille is also 600 mile away from over half the US populatin.

I'd accept the arguement of a centered location, if this were 1880 and rail was the primary way to travel.  Florida functioned just fine with Tallahassee as the state's capitol.  The US has functioned just fine with DC as the capitol.  Georgia, itself, has functioned just fine with Atlanta as the capitol. 

On the other hand, despite not being on the "edge" of the region, as stated earlier, none of these places need or rely on Atlanta for anything.  Since most of the south's population lives outside of Atlanta's influence, how can it be the listed above anyplace else?

While were on this topic, I'll take the position that the entire state of Georgia, itself, doesn't rotate around Atlanta.  The coastal, low country region, including Savannah & Brunswick are more influenced and share more in common with Jacksonville, than they do with Atlanta.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Perhaps not as much coastal georgia, but definately the rest of it. I know people that live in South Georgia and travel to Atlanta for a haircut, or just for shopping.

Houston is the most important city in America south of I 80, and east of I 15, which is a lot of land.

Second most important? Dallas.

Third? Atlanta.

Fourth? Oklahoma City. (which I would consider the political capitol of the central and south U.S.)

Fifth? Charlotte. (may actually make more sense to tie it with OKC)

Sixth? New Orleans.

Seventh? San Antonio.

Eighth? Tulsa.

And so on.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What? Houston isn't that important. I think that more people have heard of Dallas that Houston. I do concede that Houston is highly underrated as a large city though.

Yes.  I know you hate winter and that's fine.  I can't hold that against you. 

Yeah right!!  With all the Atlanta boosterism in these boards.  Seriously, these people try to compare Atlanta to Chicago or think the city is the capital of the south.  A Minneapolis vs. Atlanta thread would probably get ugly.  Let's face it, to some, the only thing Atlanta has over Minneapolis are a couple towers and the weather and that's not saying much.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think there are more Anti-Atlanta people than pro Atlanta. Just check out that poll

I just checked out the Federal Reserve Website. There is a map with all 12 districts.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Here is that map:

federalreservedists.jpg

Texas is definately South. Don't fool yourselves.

Here is my infamous orange map of the South:

thesouth.jpg

^I was in Miami on vacation. Personally, I don't know of anyone traveling over 200 miles, from South Georgia, Coastal Georgia or North Florida to get a haircut in Atlanta. I do know people who have traveled up to shop occassionally, but these same people also travel to Orlando, Tampa and Miami to shop. I even know a couple of people who live in Atlanta that like to travel down to Miami to shop since it offers more.

I can't and never will agree with that orange map or anyone else who believes that places like Central & South Florida, Houston, and DC aren't a part of the South. Imo, if its geographically located in the South, then its southern.

Just looking at the map alone, I can name several Southern cities and regions (ex. New Orleans, Hilton Head, St. Augustine, Galveston, Louisville, Norfolk, etc.), in the orange area that have little in common with the typical "Southern cultural stereotypes" defined by many on the forums.

If there is a never ending flow of business in atlanta, Dallas and HOUSTON have violently perpetual business motion. Dallas and Houston are more of a mecca than Atlanta. Louisianans head to Houston for whatever big, Arkansans head to either Oklahoma City or Dallas. It is usually Dallas, for shopping. Oklahoma City for entertainment. Dallas or OKC for business affairs. And, I myself am a Little Rock businessman so I would know, especially from countless airplane trips and trips down I 40 or I 30.

edit: Tourism rarely leaves Arkansas however, but when it does it is usually headed for Oklahoma's Lake Texoma, or Tulsa.

as far as the orginial south goes Atlanta is the capital of the south, Dallas and Houston have a western orbit to them as well, and Miami has a latin/carribean orbit to it, if your in Virginia or Tennesee or eastern Arkansas or eastern Louisiana or central florida the oribit is Atlanta. Don't like it, don't like Hotlanta that much at all but facts are facts. The orbit of a Dallas or Houston doesn't reach to Alabama or South Carolina, an orbit of Miami doesn't reach to Tennesee or Virginia or Louisiana, Atlanta does.

^Sorry but the orbit of Atlanta doesn't come anywhere near Central Florida. The adjacent metros of Orlando and Tampa have just about everything metro Atlanta offers, if not more.

Its also hard to prove that it has any effect on the State of Virginia. DC is the big dog in that area. New Orleans, Dallas, Memphis & Houston are the big players when it comes to the states of Louisiana and Mississippi, as well.

Personally, I'd like to see the facts showing Atlanta has that much pull over that wide of an area, especially in Florida.

as far as the orginial south goes Atlanta is the capital of the south, Dallas and Houston have a western orbit to them as well, and Miami has a latin/carribean orbit to it, if your in Virginia or Tennesee or eastern Arkansas or eastern Louisiana or central florida the oribit is Atlanta.  Don't like it, don't like Hotlanta that much at all but facts are facts.  The orbit of a Dallas or Houston doesn't reach to Alabama or South Carolina, an orbit of Miami doesn't reach to Tennesee or Virginia or Louisiana, Atlanta does.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm sorry but you are just misinformed. I live in Central Florida and I don't think anyone has EVER refered to Atlanta around here as anything but just another city. Seriously. We are in a completely different world. If anything, the largest city in Florida, Miami, would come before Atlanta to Central Florida and that isn't even the case.

You are also ver wrong about Tennessee. The furthest Atlanta's "Orbit" goes into Tennesse is Chatnooga. Atlanta barley has an effect on the outer parts of its MSA. I think that you are very mislead my northern friend. Whatever they are teaching you in pittsburg is very wrong. The south isnt dependent on other cities. Each city is very much different and really in no way reflects or even relies on outher southern city. I fact i know many southerners who very much despises Atlanta.

ask Delta airlines lol

as far as pull I've heard of people in Gainsville and Ocala consider themselves central florida AND north florida at the same time, Atlanta is right up I-75. As far as defending Atlanta's dominance I wouldn't be caught dead doing that (goes back to the 92 NLCS and that Steelers game in 02 lol).

The points everyone made about Houston Dallas and Miami I would love for one of those to step up and exert a bigger influence for folks in Knoxville, Nashville, Charlotte, Birmingham, Mobile, New Orleans, Jax, etc.

I'd put it like this if Atlanta isn't the capital of the south . . . name the capital of the south? Hurts me to say it but I can't name another city with the influence Atlanta has over the southern states as a whole.

Metro, Atlanta "is" (present tense, not talking confederacy) the capital, the 2nd part of the question asks that. I do think it is more out of forfeit then anything else. If you must name a regional capital which one eclipses Atlanta?

ask Delta airlines lol

as far as pull I've heard of people in Gainsville and Ocala consider themselves central florida AND north florida at the same time, Atlanta is right up I-75.  As far as defending Atlanta's dominance I wouldn't be caught dead doing that (goes back to the 92 NLCS and that Steelers game in 02 lol). 

Culturally and politically, everything north of the I-4 corridor is "north" florida. They don't like to associate with us whackos in the southern part of the state. Regardless, I've lived in Gainesville and visited Ocala a few times and I've never heard of anyone going to Atlanta for anything except an odd concert or two. With Jacksonville, Orlando and Tampa all within a few hours, why whould you need to leave the state?

Uhh... did I not just say Arkansas orbited around Oklahoma City and Dallas? Then pghUSA says pigs fly, or something.

Also... the olympics don't measure success. Dallas & Houston, bigger, more important, and wealthier than Atlanta, have never had one.

Also, something interesting is that Atl gained the banking industry from B'ham, and lost it's weather industry to OKC. Hmmn... they lost some, and gained some.

ask Delta airlines lol

as far as pull I've heard of people in Gainsville and Ocala consider themselves central florida AND north florida at the same time, Atlanta is right up I-75.  As far as defending Atlanta's dominance I wouldn't be caught dead doing that (goes back to the 92 NLCS and that Steelers game in 02 lol).

Atlanta is over six hours away from Gainesville, while Tampa, Orlando & Jax are only one to two hours away. Delta's not a good example because one could easily claim, since they ride American, that Miami is the most important, or if they ride Continental, Houston is the most important.

The points everyone made about Houston Dallas and Miami I would love for one of those to step up and exert a bigger influence for folks in Knoxville, Nashville, Charlotte, Birmingham, Mobile, New Orleans, Jax, etc.

Without a doubt, Atlanta has no influence over New Orleans, Mobile & Jax. If anything they may have a little influence on Atlanta, being that they all have major ports, and Atlanta doesn't. Metro Atlanta would dry up and die without its reliance of oil being shipped out of the ports of Houston and New Orleans. There would be no traffic congestion on its expressways without the large amount of foreign made cars being shipped into the Port of Jacksonville and Brunswick, its neighbor up the street. However, if Delta dried up and died, which is a real possibility in the future, Spirit, Southwest, Frontier, Jet Blue, etc. will still be available.

I'd put it like this if Atlanta isn't the capital of the south . . . name the capital of the south?  Hurts me to say it but I can't name another city with the influence Atlanta has over the southern states as a whole.

As said many time before, there is no "Capitol of the South". No city in the southern region is as dominate as Chicago is to the Midwest or NYC to the Northeast. Like Cincinnati or Tampa, Atlanta is just another large city along I-75.

Metro, Atlanta "is" (present tense, not talking confederacy) the capital, the 2nd part of the question asks that.  I do think it is more out of forfeit then anything else.  If you must name a regional capital which one eclipses Atlanta?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Once again there is none, but if there must be one, then its, without a doubt DC. Its the only major southern city that, if it were destroyed tomorrow, would directly affect Jacksonville.

Atlanta is over six hours away from Gainesville, while Tampa, Orlando & Jax are only one to two hours away.  Delta's not a good example because one could easily claim, since they ride American, that Miami is the most important, or if they ride Continental, Houston is the most important. 

Without a doubt, Atlanta has no influence over New Orleans, Mobile & Jax.  If anything they may have a little influence on Atlanta, being that they all have major ports, and Atlanta doesn't.  Metro Atlanta would dry up and die without its reliance of oil being shipped out of the ports of Houston and New Orleans.  There would be no traffic congestion on its expressways without the large amount of foreign made cars being shipped into the Port of Jacksonville and Brunswick, its neighbor up the street.  However, if Delta dried up and died, which is a real possibility in the future, Spirit, Southwest, Frontier, Jet Blue, etc. will still be available.

As said many time before, there is no "Capitol of the South".  No city in the southern region is as dominate as Chicago is to the Midwest or NYC to the Northeast.  Like Cincinnati or Tampa, Atlanta is just another large city along I-75.

Once again there is none, but if there must be one, then its, without a doubt DC.  Its the only major southern city that, if it were destroyed tomorrow, would directly affect Jacksonville.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

First of all your Miami and American Airlines example isn;t valid because then you could just say well obviously Delta has more influence in the airlines industry because atlanta's airport is the buisiest in the world. If you were to reason the way you have about atlanta, then you could say that DC isn't the capital because it has absolutely no influence in SC, tennesee, georgia, florida, texas, louisiana, oklahoma, etc. (which is true). Look the point is there isn't going to be one city which influences the entire southern region. But, I hoenstly think that buisness wise, Atlanta beats out all other cities. If you disagree, tell me how and why. For example tell me why Dallas has anything that beats out atlanta in the buisness department? What huge companies have their HQ in Dallas? Also, the olympics definely shows you something about the city because it shows that it is an important city. Someone here said thats njot true because Dallas and Houston haven;t had an olympics. WHAT? I didn;t say the olympics have been in EVERY important city, i just said it definetly shows that the city is important. What about the fact that the largest global company in the world has its HQ in Atlanta? (Coca-Cola) Does that make any difference? Also, someone said that it doesn;t have the most impressive skyline in the south? Well what beats it. It also has the tallest building in the south and tallest building in any state capital. The onyl cities in the US that have bigger towers are Chicago and New York. I think Atlanta has a very impressive skyline. Anyone else feel differently?

First of all your Miami and American Airlines example isn;t valid because then you could just say well obviously Delta has more influence in the airlines industry because atlanta's airport is the buisiest in the world.

Its not supposed to be. It just illustrates saying since Delta is in Atlanta, that makes ATL the southern capitol is silly. Or how saying since Atl's airport is the busiest, then that makes it the defacto Capitol. I wonder if it, being the busiest has anything to do with other major US cities having multiple commercial airports, while Atlanta only has one?

If you were to reason the way you have about atlanta, then you could say that DC isn't the capital because it has absolutely no influence in SC, tennesee, georgia, florida, texas, louisiana, oklahoma, etc. (which is true). Look the point is there isn't going to be one city which influences the entire southern region.

Actually, if DC went up in smoke tomorrow, every city in America would be affected, including NYC, since its the real Capitol of the United States.

But, I hoenstly think that buisness wise, Atlanta beats out all other cities. If you disagree, tell me how and why. For example tell me why Dallas has anything that beats out atlanta in the buisness department? What huge companies have their HQ in Dallas?

Business wise, I think you can make a case for Houtson, since it has more Fortune 500 based in its metro, then Atlanta does. The only cities ahead of Houston in the Business sector, as far as (Fortune 500's concerned) is New York, Chicago, San Francisco and Los Angeles. Houston's ConocoPhillips is the second largest company in the South, behind Arkansas' Walmart. Another important thing you have over looked is the importance of having a port. Houston is the home of the nation's largest port. Atlanta doesn't have one, which may also be a factor in Hartsfield being the largest passenger airport.

Btw, did you know the South's largest Airports by cargo, are Memphis, Miami, & Louisville? The Atl comes in 4th in the department. Miami is also South's leading airport for international flights.

What about other big city qualities like density, diversity and retail atmosphere? Both Miami & Houston are ahead of the Atl in those categories also.

Also, the olympics definely shows you something about the city because it shows that it is an important city. Someone here said thats njot true because Dallas and Houston haven;t had an olympics. WHAT? I didn;t say the olympics have been in EVERY important city, i just said it definetly shows that the city is important.

Yes the olympics are very important. However, so is having seaport facilities.

What about the fact that the largest global company in the world has its HQ in Atlanta? (Coca-Cola) Does that make any difference?

I'd say having ConocoPhillips headquartered in your city is more important, since its a larger company than Coca-Cola.

Also, someone said that it doesn;t have the most impressive skyline in the south? Well what beats it. It also has the tallest building in the south and tallest building in any state capital. The onyl cities in the US that have bigger towers are Chicago and New York. I think Atlanta has a very impressive skyline. Anyone else feel differently?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Atlanta does have an impressive skyline. However, there are a couple of cities in the South that have skylines, just as impressive, if not more. Houston, Miami & Dallas all give Atlanta's a run for its money. I'm not too familiar with Dallas, but Houston's is definately the South's largest and Miami's is larger and faster growing.

All these above replies can be used as reasons, why I don't agree with putting Atlanta on a pedestal everywhere else in the South.

Its not supposed to be.  It just illustrates saying since Delta is in Atlanta, that makes ATL the southern capitol is silly.  Or how saying since Atl's airport is the busiest, then that makes it the defacto Capitol.  I wonder if it, being the busiest has anything to do with other major US cities having multiple commercial airports, while Atlanta only has one?

Actually, if DC went up in smoke tomorrow, every city in America would be affected, including NYC, since its the real Capitol of the United States. 

Business wise, I think you can make a case for Houtson, since it has more Fortune 500 based in its metro, then Atlanta does.  The only cities ahead of Houston in the Business sector, as far as (Fortune 500's concerned) is New York, Chicago, San Francisco and Los Angeles.  Houston's ConocoPhillips is the second largest company in the South, behind Arkansas' Walmart.  Another important thing you have over looked is the importance of having a port.  Houston is the home of the nation's largest port.  Atlanta doesn't have one, which may also be a factor in Hartsfield being the largest passenger airport.

Btw, did you know the South's largest Airports by cargo, are Memphis, Miami, & Louisville?  The Atl comes in 4th in the department.  Miami is also South's leading airport for international flights.

What about other big city qualities like density, diversity and retail atmosphere?  Both Miami & Houston are ahead of the Atl in those categories also.

Yes the olympics are very important.  However, so is having seaport facilities.

I'd say having ConocoPhillips headquartered in your city is more important, since its a larger company than Coca-Cola.

Atlanta does have an impressive skyline.  However, there are a couple of cities in the South that have skylines, just as impressive, if not more.  Houston, Miami & Dallas all give Atlanta's a run for its money.  I'm not too familiar with Dallas, but Houston's is definately the South's largest and Miami's is larger and faster growing.

All these above replies can be used as reasons, why I don't agree with putting Atlanta on a pedestal everywhere else in the South.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well I cant argue with saying that ConocoPhillips is a bigger company than coca=cola because I have never heard of that company in my life, and i am gonna be honest I am too lazy to go and look this up. )Of course ATlanta doesn;t have a port, its not on the shore! Could you please retype what you said about the ATL airport at the very top because it got kinda confusing and i didn't really understand what you were saying. I have to admit you are right about the DC part, but I personally dont consider DC the south and I also dont consider Houston or Dallas or Miami to be the south. This is the only reason that I consider Atlanta the most important city in the south. If you were to include these cities (which I said i dont consider them to be the south) then I think that they all have different characteristics that make them important and you cannot say which is the most important. If ConocoPhillips is truly the second largest company than that certainly says something for Houston. Miami being the leader in international flights (which i didn't know) certainly says something for Miami. Dallas being a larger city (although only by a million or so people) says something for Dallas. And Coca-Cola, CNN, and Delta certainly say something for Atlanta. As for the skyline issue, I think they all have pretty impressive skylines and even if Dallas and Houston's might be a little better, as i said earlier i dont consider them the south. Just to mention though, this is from Encarta Online encyclopedia on Atlanta: "The undisputed business capital of the Southeast, Atlanta houses the headquarters of some of the largest and best-known companies in the United States, including Coca-Cola, United Parcel Service, Georgia-Pacific Corporation, Turner Broadcasting System, and Delta Air Lines, Inc. In addition, more than four-fifths of the nation

One more thing. Skyscrpaers.com is one of the most reliable resources that I know of on cities and building. Go to their website and look at the description of Atlanta. Skyscrapers.com

And I quote

"About Atlanta: Birthplace of Coca-Cola (the most recognized brand name in the world) and the unofficial Capital of the South, Atlanta is one of America's most prosperous cities........"

Well im not the only one who thinks so.

Archived