NYC has more sprawl than LA

Spartan

Now that I have your attention, read this article, which is morly about parking downtown. I found this on our frontpage. Its a great article ifyou are interested in urban development and what exactly to do with all those cars that people bring. It compares how LA has delt with it as oppoesd to places like San Francisco and New York. Let me know what you think.

-its a .pdf file, so make sure you have the adobe acrobat reader. If nt, then run a search for it and download it- its free to all.

Ah!! here is the Link-- thanks monsoon ;)

http://www.planetizen.com/news/redirect.php?id=15288

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just recently moved to LA and will contribute my 2 cents.

I think have more parking is justified by the fact that LA's region is so immense and uniformly dense, that it is neccessary to build more parking downtown to accomodate the influx of cars from far flung suburbs. Add the fact that the public transportation sucks and you have a need for more parking. Plus, old habbits are hard to break. I am not sure how much spaces are enough, but tons are needed. Downtown is vibrant during the day, but dead at night. I just suggest they build more night clubs and stuff to keep people there during the night. I don't see what's wrong with having a lot of parking.

That's dense SUBURBAN development. Again - LA has no equivilent to Manhattan, Brooklyn, or any other urban neighborhoods in the NY area. The population of the city alone is over 8 million. That is over half of LA in an area of only a few small hundred sq miles.

It doesn't matter that the rest of NY is suburban sprawl, the central NY area is so super-dense it completely offsets this data you guys keep showing.

That's dense SUBURBAN development. Again - LA has no equivilent to Manhattan, Brooklyn, or any other urban neighborhoods in the NY area. The population of the city alone is over 8 million. That is over half of LA in an area of only a few small hundred sq miles.

It doesn't matter that the rest of NY is suburban sprawl, the central NY area is so super-dense it completely offsets this data you guys keep showing.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

the facts are the facts urban or suburban. I think the point is, all of NYC metro isn't like Manhattan or even Brooklyn.

Maybe that isn't the point some of you have, but my point is that when you have Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, etc. then it has no equivalent. 8 million people within a few hundred sq miles.

The definition of density is to have more in less space. So what if NYC sprawls more in a suburban sense, its urban character and neighborhoods are unmatched by LA in every way.

Its like saying Houston's sprawl is more dense then suburban NY. It may be true as well. I think some of you may be emphasizing the wrong thing. If all this is going to be is an argument of "my sprawl is better then your sprawl" then have at it. LOL

I'm not interested in sprawl.

The article is right. Parking minimums are stupid. Look at downtown Calgary. The city has made a concerted effort to slowly, but steadily DECREASE the number of publicly-available parking spaces over the last decade, and in that time light-rail ridership has risen greatly (people take transit downtown instead of driving), the number of people living downtown has risen sharply, and the amound of land devoted to parking has fallen quite a bit.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived