Moving on Up Alaska & Hawaii pops 2004!

Moving on Up Alaska & Hawaii pops 2004!

State: 2004 est. / 2003 est.

Hawaii: 1,262,840 / 1,248,755

Alaska: 655,435 / 648,280

Hawaii: 14,085 or up 1.1%

Alaska: 7,155 or up 1.1%

Both states continue to move on up in pop. Maybe Alaska will eventually pass South Dakota and Hawaii; New Hampshire & Maine at current growth rates ;)

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Eww South Dakota, North Dakota or Wyoming would suck :( Alaska is actually growing at a pretty good rate and is already above a few states in population. Wyoming remains the state with the least population. I want Hawaii to grow faster well atleast Honolulu till it goes just above a million then it can slow hehe ;)

Not trying to be padantic here, but SD isn't all flat, dont forget about the Badlands, and the SW sections, which are quite hilly. I hear that Wyoming is very nice/scenic if you like that kind of thing. That said, I wouldn't really want to live in those places either. Alaska seems nice, but I would definately go for Anchorage, or Juneau rather than Fairbanks (too cold there). Also, that whole "white nite" thing would probably get to me. I always like to see growing population figures :)

Ive been to the Badlands too its just some nice naturally painted little hills but the extreme western edge of South Dakota does have the Black Hills but pretty much anything East of it which is most of the state is nothing but prairy. The Eastern half of Wymong is ugly and pretty dry but it does have some nice mountains around the western side but really theres not much in these states and the weather during the winter is just brutal...windy...freezing ass cold (the arctic express)...yuck! :(

• 1 month later...

Ive been to the Badlands too its just some nice naturally painted little hills but the extreme western edge of South Dakota does have the Black Hills but pretty much anything East of it which is most of the state is nothing but prairy. The Eastern half of Wymong is ugly and pretty dry but it does have some nice mountains around the western side but really theres not much in these states and the weather during the winter is just brutal...windy...freezing ass cold (the arctic express)...yuck!  :(

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In all fairness though, what you are mentioning about South Dakota (flat, cold in winter, "nothing but prairie") can be said about most of the states in this region- Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas, etc. I grew up in the eastern side of South Dakota (Sioux Falls area) and it's not really any worse than the other states I'd mentioned. It does have smaller population, but Sioux Falls is growing very quickly and has a lot going on for a city of only 115,000 (because it is a regional center).

I'm not saying it's paradise by any means, though :-) - I have since moved away from there (currently living in Nebraska) and would MUCH rather be in Seattle or Portland. Or possibly Honolulu? That's a verrry intriguing place to me these days. :-)

Archived