[FtLaud]Building plans signal boom's still booming

Aessotariq

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/news/...ty/10471418.htm

Posted on Wed, Dec. 22, 2004

FORT LAUDERDALE

Building plans signal boom's still booming

Fort Lauderdale commissioners considered several residential and commercial development proposals Tuesday, a sign that the city's redevelopment boom continues.

BY SAMUEL P. NITZE

[email protected]

Fort Lauderdale commissioners considered a handful of development proposals Tuesday night, including plans for a maritime museum, new shops and restaurants, dozens of downtown apartments, and a makeover for an aging grocery store.

With thousands of new homes already opening or under construction, the steady stream of new projects reflects developers' confidence that demand for urban living will continue as the county's population grows.

''It has always been the city's dream to have downtown housing,'' Mayor Jim Naugle said in an interview. ``And now there is a great variety of housing choices. Some people want a town house, some people want garden apartments, some people want a loft, some people want to live in a mid-rise or high-rise.''

In one of several votes on development Tuesday, commissioners tentatively approved a zoning change that would allow demolition of an old post office and construction of a riverside maritime museum, live/work studios, shops and new office space in its place.

New River Trading Post Development LLC has a long-term lease on the 1.22-acre, city-owned site, located east of Esplanade Park and north of the New River.

The project, to include improvements to the Riverwalk area, is meant to provide a link between historic Himmarshee Village to the east and the Arts and Science District to the west.

HISTORIC DESIGNATION

The zoning change, which requires final approval, would essentially lift a historic designation from the site, allowing larger buildings than otherwise permitted -- a move Broward County's historic preservation officer warned could set a dangerous precedent.

Turning north, the commission approved plans for a seven-story mixed-use building at 411 NW First Ave.

The project, to be called The Foundry, has been designed to resemble an old industrial building converted into apartments, with lots of steel and glass, said developer Alan Hooper. It is to include retail/office space on the ground floor and 36 residential units above.

FLAGLER VILLAGE AREA

The Foundry would be one of several mid-rise, loft-style residential buildings to emerge in the Flagler Village area north of downtown -- an area with the scale of New York's So-Ho or Greenwich Village.

Like most of the latest downtown projects, those in Flagler Village tend to reflect the tenets of the city's Downtown Master Plan, which calls for new focus on pedestrians -- wider sidewalks, a mix of homes and businesses within walking distance, plenty of trees.

The commission postponed until January a vote on plans for a 20-story project at the southwest corner of Northeast Third Avenue and Fourth Street. The proposal calls for 117 multi-family residential units, ground-level retail, and parking.

Outside of the downtown area, commissioners approved a proposal to replace an aging Publix and vacant Eckerd's pharmacy with a new, larger Publix supermarket on the same site, at 3500 W. Davie Blvd.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fort Lauderdale is quickly developing an awesome urban environment, as well as a beautiful skyline.  Hopefully, new downtown transit will be built soon, to accomodate all these new residents.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah; they need to get rid of that old, outdated, bummed out bus station across from the Library. Left there in August, and Fort Lauderdale has indeed risen from the ashes.

FLORIDA SKYRISE

• 2 months later...

Fort Lauderdale is quickly developing an awesome urban environment, as well as a beautiful skyline.  Hopefully, new downtown transit will be built soon, to accomodate all these new residents.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree, it's so nice to visit Ft. Lauderdale vs. Miami. FLL is becoming an awesome city!!

Yeah,its good to have a new skyline in the South Florida range.

The first time I went "downtowning" in Ft.Lauderdale(like around 2001) , I felt like I was in another place.

I saw the buildings,and although they weren't that tall,I liked it 'cause I was seeing other buildings beside Miami's buildings.

Its good they keep growing.Maybe they could rival Miami's skyline one day.

Archived