COMPLETE: Rising Sun

one of my clients a few years ago was sber, and i see then i a vastly different light than the folks who think they are the saviors from balto coming to save providence.

they hired me to photograph the mills that they turned into rising sun and they were keeping me on to document the royal mill in west warwick as well --- or that is what they told me in the beginning. anyhow, every day i was on the rising sun site with my 4x5 camera - 100 hours. after everything was shot, and scanned ( 4x5 drum scans aren't cheep!) and retouched, color corrected, sized &C, i loaded 75 images to a private webspace ... ( that was another 100 hours ) they viewed all the photographs. they were very excited about what they saw, and told me they wanted everything i had done. ...

i burned the cd's and mailed them along with a bill ... only to find out that everything didn't mean everything. they dragged their feet getting the work back to me, and after 30 days i gave the company a call ... they said they no longer wanted any of the images or to work with me anymore. i was sent back the image files a signed waiver saying they retained none of my work ( in any way shape or form digital or otherwise ) ...

they basically burned my work to their computer hard drive, and used them as they pleased. i even found my work on their website, published without me releasing the images to them ( now removed ) .

they admitted in an email ( cc'd to everyone on the project team ) what had happened, and then

when i pressed them for $$$ they denied it all that had happened, and suggested it was a misunderstanding and sour grapes since they removed me from the group they had been working with. it was even suggested that i did all the work on my own with no input from anyone at sber ... they pretty much know none of what they suggested was true.

and then the way they got the city of west warwick over a barrel to give them millions of dollars for working on the royal mills ...

their finished products might be nice, and they may help save parts of our industrial and historic fabric, but there is a cost for everything.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I drive by here all the time and am really happy to see this sign, it is very welcoming and highlights the development. I never see anyone walking around though, does anyone actually live here? Same with Eagle Square, I think I have only seen a handful of people that actually live there. Wondering what the vacancy rate is for these two mixed use developments

Not that I particularly blame them, as there is nothing to actually do, and the area besides Eagle Sqaure/Rising Sun development is not "there" yet. Perhaps with The Plant there will be more life to that section of Valley.

I drive by here all the time and am really happy to see this sign, it is very welcoming and highlights the development. I never see anyone walking around though, does anyone actually live here? Same with Eagle Square, I think I have only seen a handful of people that actually live there. Wondering what the vacancy rate is for these two mixed use developments

Not that I particularly blame them, as there is nothing to actually do, and the area besides Eagle Sqaure/Rising Sun development is not "there" yet. Perhaps with The Plant there will be more life to that section of Valley.

The last I heard was that Rising Sun is almost fully leased, except for a few of the largest units. I don't know about Eagle Square, although the office space seems to be slow moving.

I also have it on solid information that in a few months a cafe will be opening in the little mansard-roofed building that's part of the Rising Sun complex right on Valley St- I believe they will serve sandwiches and good coffee, and some lounge-style seating for hanging out and writing the great american novel. That should help liven it up a bit.

one of my clients a few years ago was sber, and i see then i a vastly different light than the folks who think they are the saviors from balto coming to save providence.

their finished products might be nice, and they may help save parts of our industrial and historic fabric, but there is a cost for everything.

Hey there JKN,

sorry 'bout your experience, but thanks for weiging in. Welcome to the board.

The last I heard was that Rising Sun is almost fully leased, except for a few of the largest units. I don't know about Eagle Square, although the office space seems to be slow moving.

Just heard from a very unhappy owner at Eagle Square...guess the developer is terribly unresponsive and the place is riddled with problems (ie. no entry system...sucks if you live anywhere above the first floor.) they are looking to sell its so bad.

I also have it on solid information that in a few months a cafe will be opening in the little mansard-roofed building that's part of the Rising Sun complex right on Valley St- I believe they will serve sandwiches and good coffee, and some lounge-style seating for hanging out and writing the great american novel. That should help liven it up a bit.

Thanks, I have seen a sign over that little building advertising a cafe for a while now, hope they make it. If they are open late that would be a plus. No sense if they are only open from 6-3pm or something like that. At night that street should be bright and happening for people to want to live there.

• 1 month later...

Thanks, I have seen a sign over that little building advertising a cafe for a while now, hope they make it. If they are open late that would be a plus. No sense if they are only open from 6-3pm or something like that. At night that street should be bright and happening for people to want to live there.

Icon Cafe is supposed to open tomorrow. I hope it is open late! Maybe soon we'll see a few more bars open in the Valley/Atwells area.

Blow up Fidas and open a sports bar! :yahoo:

Icon Cafe is supposed to open tomorrow. I hope it is open late! Maybe soon we'll see a few more bars open in the Valley/Atwells area.

Blow up Fidas and open a sports bar! :yahoo:

The Icon cafe is open. Good coffee, sandwiches, salads. Wireless internet, compfy couches and flat-screen tvs. It is a pretty cozy place. Liquor licence is coming this week and then they are going to fire up the grill. The "grand opening" is tomorrow from 3PM on -- they will have an open house.

The Icon cafe is open. Good coffee, sandwiches, salads. Wireless internet, compfy couches and flat-screen tvs. It is a pretty cozy place. Liquor licence is coming this week and then they are going to fire up the grill. The "grand opening" is tomorrow from 3PM on -- they will have an open house.

How big is it? Maybe we should have our forum meeting there.

• 1 month later...

This thread has strayed far from a general discussion having much to do specifically with Rising Sun and moved to more of a discussion on gentrification, so I've split it into a new topic.

Gentrification

The Projects and Construction section is generally designed to discuss the actual construction and design of projects, though of course social aspects come into play, but when the discussion becomes much more than about a specific project, which this has, it's time to split the post.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 11 months later...

I learned an interesting tidbit of information recently. Many of you will remember an "artist" and her boyfriend went into Rising Sun and secretly video taped an unsuspecting rental agent trying to match tone with prospective clients.. Well it turns out that this artist "owns" a three family in Federal Hill..

Sort of.. Its for sale.. but she is not the seller, her daddy is.. Apparently daddy's girl wanted to live in Providence, so papa bought her a shiny new toy, a three family house.. A breakup between the two video taping love birds is apparently forcing a sale.. What a pity.. Maybe daddy can buy this girl a manhattan flat next and she can video tape inequality in South Harlem..

Once again, the faux hippy trust funders come down from up on high to tell us how to live our life in the ghetto "over there"... Good riddance, video tape diva..

Archived