>> Providence East Neighborhoods

Cotuit

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 876
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I could see a Cereality opening on Thayer.  They are supposed to be opening several this year near college campuses.  There is one at UPenn.

www.cereality.com

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not with the rents they want Thayer...

- Garris

• 3 weeks later...

I was up on Thayer earlier today. City Sports is open, and looks nice. Cold Stone Creamery still looks like it has a ways to go. Too bad, it's a good day for an ice cream.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the update. Is Shanghai open yet? I thought there might also be a new falafal place in the briefly occupied Pizza Grille spot?

- Garris

Thanks for the update.  Is Shanghai open yet?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I didn't notice.

I thought there might also be a new falafal place in the briefly occupied Pizza Grille spot?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's open, I haven't been yet. I'm not a huge fan of middle eastern food so I didn't rush right out to try it.

• 4 weeks later...

I went walking down Thayer St today. Shanghai looks to be open, and regrettably looks to be only a step above a mall food court Chinese place (I didn't actually try anything, I should note, I'm just judging from the appearance and menu). The plus is that they deliver.

Cold Stone Creamery seems to still be a ways off...

- Garris

I went walking down Thayer St today.  Shanghai looks to be open, and regrettably looks to be only a step above a mall food court Chinese place (I didn't actually try anything, I should note, I'm just judging from the appearance and menu).  The plus is that they deliver.

Cold Stone Creamery seems to still be a ways off...

- Garris

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm angry about the whole thing. Max's Upstairs was my favorite place to people watch. They had a great view of Thayer St. Plus I was in good with the owner.

I'm angry about the whole thing. Max's Upstairs was my favorite place to people watch. They had a great view of Thayer St. Plus I was in good with the owner.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Agreed. I had just discovered that place last summer. I had sat by the window, enjoyed my beer, and kept a keen eye on the street below and the Sox game on the tv. Sad to see it go.

• 3 weeks later...

You know what would be an interesting concept for Thayer? Closeing off part of it to traffic, mabye give it more of "marketplace" feel you know clean it up a bit. put some trees in and some some street furnature. I realise that may increase the "chain store factor" though, and i would really miss alot of the smaller operations. Some undergound parking or some parking stucture off of thayer, because there is no where to park around there during the academic year. Just some ideas.

You know what would be an interesting concept for Thayer? Closeing off part of it to traffic, mabye give it more of "marketplace"  feel you know clean it up a bit. put some trees in and some some street furnature. I realise that may increase the "chain store factor" though, and i would really miss alot of the smaller operations. Some undergound parking or some parking stucture off of thayer, because there is no where to park around there during the academic year.  Just some ideas.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was just talking to my wife about this the other day. Aside from the parking issues closing off thayer to traffic could be great. Perhaps also have some open air kiosks or small areas for street vendors too? It seems like there are a lot of neat possibilities.

Liam

I was just talking to my wife about this the other day. Aside from the parking issues closing off thayer to traffic could be great. Perhaps also have some open air kiosks or small areas for street vendors too? It seems like there are a lot of neat possibilities.

Liam

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Didnt they do that on Westminster, and then reopen it cause it killed all its business? Although Thayer is much more well known for shopping and eating I guess...

Didnt they do that on Westminster, and then reopen it cause it killed all its business?  Although Thayer is much more well known for shopping and eating I guess...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You're correct. I frankly think Thayer would loose some "oomph" as a cool urban space without the narrow street with traffic.

- Garris

You're correct.  I frankly think Thayer would loose some "oomph" as a cool urban space without the narrow street with traffic.

- Garris

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, back in the late 70's I think Westminster St was closed off to traffic, but it didn't last long. Probably in the mid to late 80's it was changed back to where it is now. I remember a police sub station in front of the Peerless building.

Hard to think closing Westminster now adays would kill bussness since its mostly loft owners and foot traffic. I dont think many people drive down Westminster looking for anything at all. ( And Not like you can park on it )

Matter of fact I think if you put a large fountain in the middle of one of its cobble circles you would draw more people onto the street becasue it could be seen by those walking on both sides. Also it would draw people to the center of the city and making a truly wonderful spot. ( all bussness would still be fed though the side streets for pickups, drop offs etc. )

I don't think closing Thayer entirely to traffic would work, but if we get a parking structure built nearby, I could see eliminating some parking, to make some sidewalk areas wider. This would allow for street performers, better cafe dining, and just general gathering areas. You can't really stop and talk on Thayer Street because the sidewalks are too narrrow. Closing one of the side streets might work to allow for a small marketplace area.

Yes, back in the late 70's I think Westminster St was closed off to traffic, but it didn't last long. Probably in the mid to late 80's it was changed back to where it is now. I remember a police sub station in front of the Peerless building.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The problem when they did it at Westminster was that the street was already dying. Basically it was on its very last legs with with very little foot traffic and most of the stores closing. They turned it into a pedestrian mall and it killed what little activity it had and created a great place for petty theft and drug dealing. You can actually see some footage if it if you watch Complex World, the movie they shot in the late 80's at the old Lupos right before it closed. The difference with Thayer is that you can always count on foot traffic from the students and the whole area is so packed that there will always be people there. Plus, how many times have you almost run over a damn college kid who just walks into the street without looking for cars? I think it could be cool. The issue of course is Parking.

Liam

I still think closing of thayer to traffic could work. When i thought up the idea i was thinking of church street in burlington, vt. a section of the street is closed off to traffic, and offers dining, shoping, etc.

Some pictures here:

Winter View

Summer View

Note the trees, the sidewalk cafes, and the big street lights. Imagine that on thayer...

I think thayer might need something like this to survive competition from providence place. And as for traffic problems, brook street could handle any traffic that would be taken off the closed section thayer.

church street is a really great place however the problem with thayer is all the buildings are crappy. You would have to drop a nuke and rebuild the street to get anywhere near the same feeling as church street.

With that said you have to be nuts if you think you are going to drive and park on thayer.

With that said you have to be nuts if you think you are going to drive and park on thayer.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Do you mean right now? I drive and park on Thayer all the time...

We are now approaching my favorite time of year - When you first realize that the students have finally left and the city is ours once again. Easy to find parking ahoy!! There is nothing I like more than the first week or two after the kids pack up shop and move home.

Liam

I can't say, living on the East Side, I've noticed a huge difference in QOL with and without the college in session...

I still don't think closing off Thayer would work well. It's not set up like Church St in Burlington. Basically, the pedestrian walkway is an outdoor mall set up on a long side street that is perpendicular to the main flow of traffic. It's still easy to drive and park on the main streets.

Thayer is parallel to the main flow of traffic, leaving you only with the side streets to nearby to drive and park on, which is already tough. It's also impossible to drive or walk around downtown Burlington without crossing or driving by that inviting pedestrian plaza. By contrast, it's easy to drive and walk around Thayer without ever seeing it.

- Garris

Archived