>> Providence East Neighborhoods

Cotuit

• Replies 876
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

Believe it of not thats going to be an Italian style dessert shop!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They're moving right along on this. I was up there today, looks like they've replaced all the windows (put a big logo in the bay window, which looks nice, they have a nice graphic logo which should appeal to the college crowd). They've replaced the deck out front. and they were painting the trim work on the facade (only the ground floor, :angry: why can't landlords fix up their upper level facades, Thayer, Wickenden, Atwells, all have nice stores with crappy upper facades). Brown Orientation is next week I believe, seems they're cracking to be open by then.

The perpetually in-progress storefront around the corner on Angell is still progressing, looks nice, maybe someday they'll sell something out of it. I can't imagine who is working on this, and what they are doing for money in the interim while they prepare to open. Have we determined what is going in there?

Cafe @ease/Ocean Coffee Roasters is re-opened. I list both names, because the awnings still say Ocean, the sign in the window says @ease. I haven't gone in.

Have they been the ones woking on it all along or did they scoop it up recently? It seems it was in mid-reno for a while with nothing going on, and work has picked up again in the last month or so.

It's another one of those nice restaurant facade, poor building facade places. The restaurant is going to look great, but the building it's attached to is covered in poorly placed vinyl siding.  :(

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How is the food at Andreas? We generally don't pass up a Greek restaurant, but in our limited time last week, didn't get around to trying it....

Urb

I'm going out for dinner tonight to check out this place called Andreas... anyone ever been?? It's supposed to be a really good greek restaurant.

Also... has anyone been to that indian clothing type store??!!?! they have AMAZING BEANPOD CANDLES!!! expensive but AMAZING!

How is the food at Andreas?  We generally don't pass up a Greek restaurant, but in our limited time last week, didn't get around to trying it....

Urb

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Andreas is one of my favorite restuarants. Never had a bad meal there. Great place to sit and people watch out the window.

Thayer is always full of activity.

Anybody else agree that many of the buildings on Thayer are worn down and ratty looking?  I kind of like this though, I think it adds character to the street.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I like it too. I think the mishmash of weird converted houses and worn out store fronts makes the street feel hip and inviting. I have generally been displeased with the new buildings that have gone in, especially when they replace a goofy rambling old converted house (like when they built Urban Outfitters..)

Anyone want to gamble on how long until the "Estas" building gets torn down?

Liam

The specialty boutiques of Wayland Sq are dropping like flies. Sara's Boutique, which I think was a women's or newborn's clothing store (I never went in), is doing a closing clearance. Caroline's Boutique in the same building just closed 2 or 3 months ago... No word what, if anything, is going into those slots...

- Garris

Well, I did some looking and answered my own question. The new place on the corner of Benefit and Bowen streets is being developed by the same people who did the two houses on Pratt just up hill from this new development. Their company is called Suburban Renewal and here are some pics of the drawings as well as a link:

http://www.suburbanrenewal.net/sravail1.html

1.gif

2.gif

3.gif

4.gif

5.gif

Don't know the timeline but it's already listed for sale (with no price) on their website.

4000 sq feet... Optional elevator? This thing is going to be really, really expensive. It looks like it'll fit in nicely, though. I've always been a fan of the Italianate style... At least it isn't a banal McMansion...

- Garris

Another loss for Wayland Square. The "Crunch" gym in Wayland Manor (one of those circuit type gyms) is closing and moving to a larger facility on North Broadway in Rumford... One would imagine their rent will be a wee cheaper there too...

- Garris

Another loss for Wayland Square.  The "Crunch" gym in Wayland Manor (one of those circuit type gyms) is closing and moving to a larger facility on North Broadway in Rumford...  One would imagine their rent will be a wee cheaper there too... 

- Garris

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What the heck is going on down there in Wayland Square with all these store closings? Is there still a Minerva's Pizza there? How about the audio/video repair shop next door?

What the heck is going on down there in Wayland Square with all these store closings? Is there still a Minerva's Pizza there? How about the audio/video repair shop next door?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not quite sure... I always wondered how some of these little boutiques (which are 2 of the 3 stores closing) survived in the first place. I think the gym is doing quite well, and is just looking for bigger digs.

I've also heard through the grapevine that the owners of the retail property here charge very high rents that are challenging the survival of these smaller stores. The owners of the retail properties apparently believe that Wayland Square can now attract higher margin businesses that should be able to pay these rents, and they may be correct on that front. I think the apparent success of the recent restaurants that have opened, Starbucks, and the large East Side Commons condos that are about to open and add lots of new customers to the area (as well as all the condo conversions bringing in more people) have these folks thinking optimistically.

We'll have to see. I think, especially on the restaurant front, there's certainly room for one or two more places at least. I think some kind of gym here (be it a cardio gym, circuit gym, pilates, etc) to replace Crunch would have a lot of potential, especially in the former Power Yoga spot.

The retail here I think otherwise has been pretty stable. Farmstead has been open I think close to two years. Daily Bread has been here for a while. The bookstores are old timers. The Wayland Deli has been open at least a year. Spoons, the wine/beer place, and the travel agency are old-timers, as are the salons. CVS is a staple. Minerva Pizza (which I happen not to like that much) is still going strong. Our Subway here is still here. The AV place is still here.

It'll be interesting to see how all this develops.

The storefront next to the new Subway on Waterman has had it's front patio all torn up. Don't know if it's utility work for the building (some pipes were exposed by removing the patio) or if it's work for a new shop.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was driving by this area today (the @ease cafe was packed) and thought I noticed a new looking door in that below street area Cotuit was mentioning above with a "for lease" sign in it. Did this indeed become new retail space as we suspected? If so, they didn't do much detailing. Just a wall and a door...

- Garris

Archived